Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which of these NL Rookies will end up being the best?

Pick 3

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
You may notice the top five big names are out: Heyward, Strasburg, Stanton, Brown, and Posey.

Which of the listed rookies do you think will turn out to be the best player over the course of their career and why?

Edit:

My thoughts are in this blog post:

ProspectForProfit Link

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Madison bumgarner when drafted was projected to be an ace. He may be the 5th person in the Giants rotation, he has dominated the minors and has pitched very well for his first stint as a starter.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
As painful as it is to say, I think Starlin Castro will be teh most impactful long term. He's just so young and has such a good eye. Thank God the Cubs will continue to find ways to implode!

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I agree Castro. I think he will be closer to the 5 you did not list then the other guys on this poll. I do not think enough people realize how well he is doing this year, and he is only going to get much better

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Pedro Alvarez...plays for the Pirates. Put him as a prospect in any of the top organizations and this board would be littered with Pedro threads. He's going to be a stud, reminds me of Aramis Ramirez.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
sigma_chi said:
Pedro Alvarez...plays for the Pirates. Put him as a prospect in any of the top organizations and this board would be littered with Pedro threads. He's going to be a stud, reminds me of Aramis Ramirez.

Way better than even Aramis at that age. I agree. If he were in any other market not to mention a huge one he'd be Jason Heyward right now.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I am willing to bet that this goes down as the best rookie class of all time. Look at those names! There are 7 players on there that will have legit shots at being all-stars next year.

skrip

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
While I see your points with the other huys and can see why you chose like Castro and Alvarez (easy pick for me too). The fact Leake has a higher ERA and has same velocity if lower than bumgarner and not as good stuff (imo) i would have to choose the south paw over him. Maybe that's just my biased kicking in. Obviously I would not pick Strasburg over bumgarner ;)

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Starlin is playing like an all-star at 20 and he's going to get better. Should develop into a 5-tool SS and a perennial all-star candidate.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Gaby Sanchez is not on the list but deserves mention. His stats speak for them selves. He'll be a star for a long time.

dherm360

Mar 30, 2010
I went with Pedro, I watched him single handed destroy the Brewers in a three game sweep. Sweet bat, but on the brightside for him, he will develop into a great player in the next couple of years and dealt to the Yankees or Red Sox for a bunch of prospects

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Sweetness said:
Gaby Sanchez is not on the list but deserves mention. His stats speak for them selves. He'll be a star for a long time.

There were a couple more guys I would have liked to add to the list, but polls are limited to 10 options so I was forced to leave a few off.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I know I know, I'm carzy but.............

I think Jhoulys Chacin has a real good shot at making a splash in MLB eventually. I know most see him as a #2 or #3 starter, but if he can develop better command of his mid to upper 90's fastball(which I think he will), it will make his already good secondary pitches that much better, and I can see him bringing ACE stuff to the plate in a year or 2. I think he is going to be a 18+ game winner for many years to come once he gets better command over his heat.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
When I looked over the list, the first name that I looked for was Alvarez.

I know everyone thinks Castro is special this and special that, but he seems to be nothing more than a slightly quick, great defending, no power SS.

An All Star EVENTUALLY, once Tulo and Hanley are no longer dominating the position, whereas Alvarez has a shot as soon as NEXT season to be an All Star and be considered a great player.

Mammoth power that should translate to a 40 homer season soon enough.

As others have said, put him in a bigger market (LA, NY, BOS, CHI) and read nothing BUT Alvarez posts.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I'm not being a homer when I say Chris Johnson, he just recently broke his streak of 25 games where he reached base & most of those were multi-hit games! While I like Pedro Alvarez he is never going to hit for a decent average, you get an all power guy & there's nothing wrong with that. Johnson hits for average & power (plus he has an excellent eye, can take a walk, & doesn't strike out alot...while Alvarez will undoubtedly K a ton & probably won't be collecting many walk's).

I'm very excited that my hometeam landed this guy & FINALLY realized what they have in him & are allowing him to play! I think the Astros have a new "face of the franchise"! ;) :D

Members online

Latest posts