Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When will Crawford win Gold Glove

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
According to some metrics he's saved more runs than any fielder at any position on the diamond. I know left field is the easiest outfield position, but the guy is ridiculously good out there.

I'm hoping with the increased focus on defensive stats (you even see articles on ESPN and SI occasionally nowadays) he'll finally win one, one of these years.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
leatherman said:
Did you see how badly he misplayed that fly ball yesterday? He climbed the wall and was at least 10 feet to the left of where it hit the wall.

No one on Earth was catching that ball anyways, he just tried to make an effort. What was horrible is that it took BJ Upton five minutes to enter the screen backing the play up.

The defensive metrics used to measure GG have neglected to take into account balls that Crawford gets to that are automatic hits with other LFers. He saves 3 runs per week at least by making outs on plays that are routine hits for other teams. The only thing that keeps Crawford from a GG is his arm IMO, its not Johnny Damon bad, but it's below MLB average.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Joshua.Roundtree said:
leatherman said:
Did you see how badly he misplayed that fly ball yesterday? He climbed the wall and was at least 10 feet to the left of where it hit the wall.

No one on Earth was catching that ball anyways, he just tried to make an effort. What was horrible is that it took BJ Upton five minutes to enter the screen backing the play up.

The defensive metrics used to measure GG have neglected to take into account balls that Crawford gets to that are automatic hits with other LFers. He saves 3 runs per week at least by making outs on plays that are routine hits for other teams. The only thing that keeps Crawford from a GG is his arm IMO, its not Johnny Damon bad, but it's below MLB average.

I wasn't making a judgment about his ability based on one play. I just found it funny that this post was made after such a funny play last night.

According to Sean Smith at BaseballProjection.com, Crawford has saved 37 runs over the past three seasons compared to the average player. Crawford's good, but not '3 runs a week' good. No one is that superior to their peers in MLB.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:
leatherman said:

I wasn't making a judgment about his ability based on one play. I just found it funny that this post was made after such a funny play last night.

According to Sean Smith at BaseballProjection.com, Crawford has saved 37 runs over the past three seasons compared to the average player. Crawford's good, but not '3 runs a week' good. No one is that superior to their peers in MLB.

I missed the play, but was just recently reading a couple of article that were discussing his abilities. This season (if I remember correctly) the article said that he saved 19 runs. I think the next outfielder has saved 11 or 12 (I can't remember where I saw the numbers of where to find the info so can't confirm.)

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
As a comparison, Andruw Jones saved 242 runs in the 10 year span from 1997-2006, including 35 and 36 in 1998 and 1999, respectively. In the 8 full seasons for Crawford, he only has 57 runs.

Bill Mazeroski's best 10 year stretch was 114 runs. Ozzie Smith's best 10 year stretch was 172 runs.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
As a comparison, Andruw Jones saved 242 runs in the 10 year span from 1997-2006, including 35 and 36 in 1998 and 1999, respectively. In the 8 full seasons for Crawford, he only has 57 runs.

Bill Mazeroski's best 10 year stretch was 114 runs. Ozzie Smith's best 10 year stretch was 172 runs.
Guess he won't be winning an award for being the best all-time, but what about this season...

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
thefasterblade said:
He was never considered an above average defensive player so, never.
Not sure I follow? By who?

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I truly am not making this comment to controversial and I know it is going to piss some people off, but honestly, Crawford will win a Gold Glove if he signs with the Yankees. Being superior on defense tends to go out the window if you're popular and wear pinstripes.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
hopefully soon. My cards are waiting LOL
CRAWFORDCARL1.jpg

CRAWFORDCARL2.jpg
CRAWFORDCARL.jpg

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It's always bad news to extrapolate UZR but Crawford's leading the league this year in UZR/150 (just a smidgen behind tony gwynn jr.)

Gold gloves have always bugged me because it's all style and no substance. Not only does style count for a bunch, it's normally 2 or 3 web-gems that'll win you that gold-glove if you're an all-around solid defender otherwise.

The voters should be forced to either look at the data or watch every out, every player in contention, has made.

What's worse is that old-timey baseball coaches actually preach respect of these golden-gloves. Everyone thinks that it's stupid to run on Ichiro, but has anyone actually looked at the numbers? So, you'll end up with runners staying put; it's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Gold Gloves are meaningless these days and rarely go to the best defensive player at a position. That is why Crawford hasn't got one yet, and because OF awards are generally given to center fielders. He should win it this year though. He doesn't have an above average arm, but that's the only knock on his defense. He covers more ground than anyone with his speed. There's rarely a game where he doesn't catch a ball or two that would drop against almost any other LF in the majors.

According to fangraphs he leads all of MLB in UZR, and by a significant margin
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 10&month=0

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
leatherman said:

Best defensive outfielder ever.

Latest posts