Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First paypal claim with a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
well i bought a hank aaron/ wilie mays dual auto from 03 cosigners from a guy on ebay and i immediately new it was fake, the card was printed from a printer and the sticker he took from another card was put on there with hairs and what not all stuck behind it...now i just filed a claim on paypal, should i escalate it immediately considering it was 500 dollars? any help would be appreciated

if i already filed a dispute can he still take money out of his account or is it locked?

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
It locks in his money, but since he clearly tried to scam you, he is clearly not going to respond to your claim. I would immediatly escalate your claim just to move the process of getting your money back along faster.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
miguelcabrera said:
It locks in his money, but since he clearly tried to scam you, he is clearly not going to respond to your claim. I would immediatly escalate your claim just to move the process of getting your money back along faster.

yeah i escalated it and i go back to my account 5 mins later and theres no open cases or anything, i call paypal and the lady says that since it was an off ebay deal i cant file a not as described? really? i didnt know this, anything else i could do?

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
KOBEARODLT said:
miguelcabrera said:

yeah i escalated it and i go back to my account 5 mins later and theres no open cases or anything, i call paypal and the lady says that since it was an off ebay deal i cant file a not as described? really? i didnt know this, anything else i could do?

Hmmm yeah sorry I dont know. I have never filed a claim on an off ebay deal. Was this on a board or was it on ebay and he agreed to take it down?

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
gvsu96 said:
If you paid with a credit card call them up and dispute the charge. Other that that I think you are SOL.

thats what im thinking :( looks like im done with cards except for the few that i have incoming

miggy- it was a member on ebay, no one from here

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
KOBEARODLT said:
miguelcabrera said:

What? you agreed to purchase the item off eBay and then you tried to open a claim on eBay? How is this even possible?

If you didn't buy it via eBay, you can still go through PAYPAL and file a claim.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
pigskincardboard said:
KOBEARODLT said:
miguelcabrera said:

What? you agreed to purchase the item off eBay and then you tried to open a claim on eBay? How is this even possible?

If you didn't buy it via eBay, you can still go through PAYPAL and file a claim.

Whenever I have filed a claim in the past I went through paypal, and these were all ebay transactions.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
miguelcabrera said:
pigskincardboard said:
KOBEARODLT said:
miguelcabrera said:

Whenever I have filed a claim in the past I went through paypal, and these were all ebay transactions.

yeah i filed claim through paypal, claims are always through paypal

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
Honestly I will never understand all of these off-ebay deals to members you don't know. A well-known guy who you trust, OK. But I feel it is just asking for trouble if you don't know the guy. I'd personally rather pay $550 and KNOW I could get my money back (we all know how much Ebay sides with the buyer) than $500 with a decent chance of having it stolen. That's just me though...

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
piggy1918 said:
Honestly I will never understand all of these off-ebay deals to members you don't know. A well-known guy who you trust, OK. But I feel it is just asking for trouble if you don't know the guy. I'd personally rather pay $550 and KNOW I could get my money back (we all know how much Ebay sides with the buyer) than $500 with a decent chance of having it stolen. That's just me though...

I made an off-eBay deal 2x now, both transactions were under $15. They had great feedback and updated me when the card shipped. Now, I wouldn't do that for large purchases but for small ones like those 2, I don't mind the risk.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Philip J. Fry said:
piggy1918 said:

I made an off-eBay deal 2x now, both transactions were under $15. They had great feedback and updated me when the card shipped. Now, I wouldn't do that for large purchases but for small ones like those 2, I don't mind the risk.

Ive never done an off-ebay deal other than here or BMB, but I still wouldnt risk it.

Way too easy to get scammed quick

...just my personal thoughts though, as many here have done many great deals off ebay

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Philip J. Fry said:
piggy1918 said:

Yeah making an off ebay deal for $15 is no big deal, but when buying a card for $550, if you do not know the seller extremely well, i would definitely want the protection of doing it on ebay. Like someone else mentioned, i personally would rather pay a little extra for the piece of mind.

Kobearodlt- Did this seller have good, high feedback on his ebay account? You should "out" the seller to us so we know who it is. If hes willing to do crap like this on an off ebay deal, im sure he does stuff like this (or other shady things) on ebay.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Not that $500 is a crazy steal, but I sold 1 of mine a few months ago for almost $800 and within the past 5 years, they've sold for as high as $1200, so $500 was almost too good to be true. That definitely sucks though, I've invested a lot of money in that particular card, so I'd hate to see these replicated/counterfeited regularly.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
sorry guys i have been messaging this seller back and forth so i didnt have time to reply....i scanned the "Card" if you want to call it that lol...anyways i explained to him that it was fake, he knew it was fake and that i would be contacting the local police department by tommorow if i did not get a full refund, he than said he would send 250 now and 250 when he gets teh card, i said no i will just contact the local police in which he replied by saying he will give the full refund later tonight and i will send back his piece of paper in a gma case tommorow

first off i have done alot of deals straight through paypal and must say i did not know you couldnt claim an item as not described untill now :oops: I also should have known better since the card was in a gma case (i know the company is bogus but i figured it was just on the grades of the card, not the complete card it self) so in all it was my fault for going against my gut.

anyways here are the scans...as you can tell the quality is just terrible as it would be if printed of a home printer....if you look close you can see the paper hanging of the edge a bit on the sides, you can actually see the pixels from the computer in the autograph, and check out the bottom of the back of the card, the printing is so bad you cant even read the small print

oh yeah my favorite reply by this seller was "EHH...EXCUSE ME..IT HAS THE AUTHENTIC STICKER ON THE BACK" yes that it does, it also was pulled off a cheap dollar game used/auto and stuck on this fake card...as you can see he even kept hair that stuck to it right on there lol

its hard to tell in the scans but..its quite a bad fake

scan0040.jpg

scan0039.jpg

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
clarkfan said:
Not that $500 is a crazy steal, but I sold 1 of mine a few months ago for almost $800 and within the past 5 years, they've sold for as high as $1200, so $500 was almost too good to be true. That definitely sucks though, I've invested a lot of money in that particular card, so I'd hate to see these replicated/counterfeited regularly.

yeah see i havent exactly tracked the sales of these in the past and i seen one graded psa 8 that has been buy it now for 800 for a few weeks and wasnt touched so i figured 500 may be a little cheap but for the most part alright

Members online

Latest posts