Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lot of 'Off Years' This Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
HAs anyone noticed or agreed? I know the season is not over and a batter or pitcher can get on a hot streak but these guys have been under performing.

Kemp
Upton Bros
Hanley
Braun
Lincecum
Longoria
Broxton
A-Rod
Granderson
Sandoval
Grienke

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Jaypers said:
darocker80 said:

Really?
not that much of an off year, but people though he was on the rise and lot of people thought he'd hit over 40 home runs. I'd be surprised if he belted 13 or more home runs to hit 30. But his avg is higher and obp i think so maybe not as bad as others.

Maybe i should take him off, but his HR just are down.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
HAs anyone noticed or agreed? I know the season is not over and a batter or pitcher can get on a hot streak but these guys have been under performing.

Kemp
Upton Bros
Hanley
Braun
Lincecum
Longoria
Broxton
A-Rod
Granderson
Sandoval
Grienke
I'm not really sure that this list is longer than any other season. Every year there are some that greatly exceed expectations (and there's a ton of those this season) and a whole bunch that underachieve. Arod it could be age (Jeter as well) and he;s not much behind last season. BJ Upton has disappointed for years, and Braun, Longoria, Kemp, Justin Upton and Lincecum did not have the track record to be able to say that it's such a shock (not that they are not great players, but looking historically lots of guys have down seasons early in their careers.) To me Granderson is not a star anyways (he's been downhill for the last few years) and Greinke was incredibly good last season (likely a career year) and he's been very unlucky this year.

Not disagreeing with the fact these guys have been disappointing (I definitely agree Longoria has been a disappointment compared to the projections.) Other names one could add include Jeter, Verlander (after last season he looked like he'd be a Cy Young candidate this season, ) Mauer if you expected some power, Zobrist, Lind, Bay, Carlos Lee etc.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Topnotchsy said:
darocker80 said:

Kemp
Upton Bros
Hanley
Braun
Lincecum
Longoria
Broxton
A-Rod
Granderson
Sandoval
Grienke
I'm not really sure that this list is longer than any other season. Every year there are some that greatly exceed expectations (and there's a ton of those this season) and a whole bunch that underachieve. Arod it could be age (Jeter as well) and he;s not much behind last season. BJ Upton has disappointed for years, and Braun, Longoria, Kemp, Justin Upton and Lincecum did not have the track record to be able to say that it's such a shock (not that they are not great players, but looking historically lots of guys have down seasons early in their careers.) To me Granderson is not a star anyways (he's been downhill for the last few years) and Greinke was incredibly good last season (likely a career year) and he's been very unlucky this year.

Not disagreeing with the fact these guys have been disappointing (I definitely agree Longoria has been a disappointment compared to the projections.) Other names one could add include Jeter, Verlander (after last season he looked like he'd be a Cy Young candidate this season, ) Mauer if you expected some power, Zobrist, Lind, Bay, Carlos Lee etc.
Ahh thanks for your input :)

I thought Mauer had a career year last year and didn't expect power. I did expect a .330 avg season and a lot of hits which he has provided and def has helped the Twins take first place (so far).

Verlander still is having a strong year and if he keeps it up will have around the same stats. Zobrist i thought was just a fluke, didn't expect much, but I did think Hill would continue to hit :/ Carlos lee yes and Bay oh my gahd. I am glad the Giants didn't dish out the money for him.

And I see what your saying about young players having an off season early in there young careers.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
The big question is who is going to rebound next year?

I can explain all the down years for these players - I picked up or own cards of all those players on the list prior to the season.

When I sell them all off this offseason, they will be sure to rebound......that is, until I purchase them all again.

Longoria will be in an eternal slump, I promise you all.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
brouthercard said:

I can explain all the down years for these players - I picked up or own cards of all those players on the list prior to the season.

When I sell them all off this offseason, they will be sure to rebound......that is, until I purchase them all again.

i think most of them will. at least hanley, braun, lincecum, kemp (if he cuts K down) and longoria.

wright i guess isn't in his prime anymore? Or wont put up the same numbers earlier in his career maybe? But he's on pace for a .290-.300 avg and a 20-20 season maybe 25-25. better than a .310 10HR season

jdbrak

Feb 16, 2009
Here are the guys on my fantasy team who i traded for and havent done anything since
Hanley
Prince Fielder
Longoria (drafted)

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
Not to go too much off topic, but I actually think Longoria is having a pretty good year, when you consider some things.

Aside from the typical stats, which are a bit down, it looks as though he's progressing as a young hitter, which is obviously very important for him to become the superstar he should be. His K% is down, his BB% is up, he seems to understand situational hitting a lot better, he's working more counts, etc. His LD% is actually the exact same as last year.

To me, it seems like it's one of those years where his HRs turn into 2Bs, which is the opposite of what you would hope, but it happens to every player. He has been robbed (I'm talking outfielder went over the fence to get it) of two homeruns that I'm sure of this year, and he also has 5 triples to zero last year.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
darocker80 said:
brouthercard said:

i think most of them will. at least hanley, braun, lincecum, kemp (if he cuts K down) and longoria.

wright i guess isn't in his prime anymore? Or wont put up the same numbers earlier in his career maybe? But he's on pace for a .290-.300 avg and a 20-20 season maybe 25-25. better than a .310 10HR season

wright is 27

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
miguelcabrera said:
darocker80 said:
brouthercard said:

wright is 27
so... when he was young he hit 30 hr or near it and 30+sb. but he has done it in a couple years. so he may or may not do it in the future...

Members online

Latest posts