Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PRISTINE 1950 RED SOX ORIGINAL 26 TEAM 6.5"X9" PHOTOS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
OK, here's the deal. My grandpa went to a Sox game in 1950 and bought a set of 6.5"x9" black and white high quality photos of every player on the team, plus McCarthy, their manager, and he just stuck them in the closet, where they have sat in the dark, untouched, for 60 years. Now, I found them and took them out and see these flawless pieces of art and think someone out there must be willing to pay top dollar for a rare find like this. The set includes Ted Williams, Dom DiMaggio, Mel Parnell, Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr, and more! The pictures are so perfect and the quality so high that they take your breath away. They need to be framed properly and put somewhere special, because these are amazing. They come in their original Fenway Park envelope.

If anyone out there knows the best place to sell these (if I sell them!), please let me know. I am thinking to contact the Red Sox front office to let them know I have them and see if Theo or one of the brass might have interest. They are special. I would put a photo here if I knew how....

Thank you.
Brad

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Hi Brad. Sounds like you have a nice set of photos! The envelope makes a great companion piece, as well. If you do plan on selling them, eBay is probably your best route. Although they sound pristine by your description, I wouldn't expect a cash windfall. A group of three complete sets (1949, 1950, and 1954,) all with their respective envelopes, sold in a 2008 Huggins & Scott auction for $240.

If you are a Red Sox fan like myself, I would keep these wonderful photos and envelope in my collection. They would look amazing matted and framed. If you want to post some pics, feel free to PM me your email address. I'll host them for you.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Brad, I collect Sox team sets and paid roughly $56 for a top condition full 1950 set last fall.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/ ... m%20Issue/

You should double check your checklist against mine to make sure you really have a '50 set since many of the team issues from year-to-year only vary by a couple of players. I am most certain mine is the '50 set.

As Josh references, the SCD Big Book is where you can verify checklists.

Nice find though!

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Wow! $56??????? Amazing pickup. It appears this is the same set. I can't hardly believe the values of things today. These should be 100x more valuable than a Nolan Arenado blue refractor, but sadly they are the same market value. Crazy world......

Thanks for the link. Apparently I have the same set. I looked one player up on mlb and he only played with the Sox during 1950, so I figured they were 1950.

Brad

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
bmp1971 said:
Wow! $56??????? Amazing pickup. It appears this is the same set. I can't hardly believe the values of things today. These should be 100x more valuable than a Nolan Arenado blue refractor, but sadly they are the same market value. Crazy world......

Thanks for the link. Apparently I have the same set. I looked one player up on mlb and he only played with the Sox during 1950, so I figured they were 1950.

Brad

...yeah, I was happy with $56 as a buyer. I've picked up several of these team sets for comparable prices, some higher, some lower.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Latest posts