Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS versus PSA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Toying with the idea of signing up for the gold membership with PSA for a year for 190 and receiving 15 subs with a 7 day turnaround time.

I have always thought PSA was inferior to BGS for modern cards.....question is I have a few that are boderline "yes this is a 9.5" versus "Err...maybe a 9.0 but ,5 away from gem"..........is it easier to get a PSA10 then to get a BGS 9.5?

Any thoughts from experienced folks would be appreciated.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
The only thing I prefer about BGS is the protection their slabs offer. For an accurate assessment of the card's condition, I would rather have cards slabbed by PSA in my collection.

I have submitted plenty of PSA 9s to BGS that came back as 9.5s. I have submitted PSA 10s to BGS and gotten 9s.

It's really a crap shoot.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
leatherman said:
Good rule of thumb:

MINT corners but GEM MINT centering: Send to BGS.
GEM MINT corners but only 60/40 centering: Send to PSA.

Thank you for the advice....not to mention shoddy autos that don't get graded :cool:

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
More often than not, I've found bgs to be VERY strict about the corners and least strict about the surface.

I tried submitting two cards to psa that would not have gemmed via bgs due to the centering. They both came back as 9s. Also, I submitted another card to psa expecting a 9 and it came back an 8. And w/o the subgrades, I feel psa gives you less for your money.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
i prefer psa slabs for my pc and only pick up bgs graded copies when the price is right. psa is far more consistent and reputable imho. beckett grades sheet cut cards and seems to play favorites when it comes to PR/media attention (strasburg 9.5 super). in addition, beckett seems to have lightened up on their standards in recent years. 10's used to be non existent and 9.5's seem to be more common than ever.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
BGS has really gotten easy. Every other card is BGS 9.5. We all have seen the recent grading on Bowman Chrome. i THINK CARD HAS TO BE BENT IN HALF WITH HOLES IN IT, to get anything lower than a 9 from BGS nowadays.

RudyGayExquisite

Sep 1, 2008
After PSA added the .5/half grades, I quickly became a BGS only submitter.

They are nowhere near as tough as they used to be 5-10 years ago. The BGS holders are far superior and you don't have to wonder why your card didn't grade a 9.5 or 10, all the subs are right there for you to see.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
matchpenalty said:
SGC is very good. But are very strict and people submitting to them would get pissed when 2010 cards are lucky to come back a 92.

absolutely. they are #1 in my book.
Great Slabs, great CS, great pricing.
only thing i dont care a lot for is that
dark border cards tend to get lost in
their slabs

Pujols2007ToppsUH289SGC98.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
How can a PSA slab be better when criminals can open PSA slabs and replace the hi grade card with a lower grade one or even fake cards, then re-seal the slab and sell it and fool many people even hobby vets???

BGS slabs can not be cracked and resealed. When buying a BGS you know, for sure that you are getting the real thing, Not the same guarantee when buying PSA (especially high end)

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
G $MONEY$ said:
How can a PSA slab be better when criminals can open PSA slabs and replace the hi grade card with a lower grade one or even fake cards, then re-seal the slab and sell it and fool many people even hobby vets???

BGS slabs can not be cracked and resealed. When buying a BGS you know, for sure that you are getting the real thing, Not the same guarantee when buying PSA (especially high end)

IMG-1.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
G $MONEY$ said:

IMG-1.jpg

so what are you trying to prove here? You broke a BGS slab, but how are you gonna get it sonically sealed again? Also look at all the frosting around the edges? Dead giveaway. There is no way you would be able to reseal that BGS slab and trick anyone.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I use BGS. I like the sturdy slab and inner sleeve. By far the best protecting and tamper resistant slabs. PSA tends to be more lenient on centering (Stras super aside). PSA also essentially ignores xfractor lines. If you have a nice chrome xfractor with a line then send it to PSA. If you are buying one for the PC then I'd recommend BGS. In my opinion a BGS graded card with all subs 9.5 or better > PSA 10. A BGS 9.5 card with a 9 subgrade is about par with a PSA 10 (unless that 9 is corners then PSA 10 is usually the more strict grade). I don't see a whole lot of difference below gem although PSA does offer qualifiers so a real nice off-center card can still yield a high numeric grade with the qualifier. Side note: I have purchased two PSA 9 cards on eBay and one had indentations on the back (a 6 at best) while the other had a factory ink smear (a 7 at best).

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
G $MONEY$ said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":29s0x3j3]How can a PSA slab be better when criminals can open PSA slabs and replace the hi grade card with a lower grade one or even fake cards, then re-seal the slab and sell it and fool many people even hobby vets???

IMG-1.jpg

so what are you trying to prove here? You broke a BGS slab, but how are you gonna get it sonically sealed again? Also look at all the frosting around the edges? Dead giveaway. There is no way you would be able to reseal that BGS slab and trick anyone.[/quote:29s0x3j3]

Who says I'm trying to prove anything? Calm down. I popped it on a whim about 6 months ago or so. It really wasn't that hard but I don't believe it's the norm as I tried to do it with a few others and it didn't happen. I saved the scan but the holder was tossed a couple of days later. And looking at it after I popped it, I'm sure it wouldn't have been that difficult to give it the proper appearance. I'm sure you don't have to have it "sonically sealed" in order to fool some of the people in this hobby.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
f2tornado said:
I use BGS. I like the sturdy slab and inner sleeve. By far the best protecting and tamper resistant slabs. PSA tends to be more lenient on centering (Stras super aside). PSA also essentially ignores xfractor lines. If you have a nice chrome xfractor with a line then send it to PSA. If you are buying one for the PC then I'd recommend BGS. In my opinion a BGS graded card with all subs 9.5 or better > PSA 10. A BGS 9.5 card with a 9 subgrade is about par with a PSA 10 (unless that 9 is corners then PSA 10 is usually the more strict grade). I don't see a whole lot of difference below gem although PSA does offer qualifiers so a real nice off-center card can still yield a high numeric grade with the qualifier. Side note: I have purchased two PSA 9 cards on eBay and one had indentations on the back (a 6 at best) while the other had a factory ink smear (a 7 at best).

i have no idea what you are talking about!

BellJosh2005BChromeXFractorPSA10.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
G $MONEY$ said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":2of5clcq]How can a PSA slab be better when criminals can open PSA slabs and replace the hi grade card with a lower grade one or even fake cards, then re-seal the slab and sell it and fool many people even hobby vets???

IMG-1.jpg

so what are you trying to prove here? You broke a BGS slab, but how are you gonna get it sonically sealed again? Also look at all the frosting around the edges? Dead giveaway. There is no way you would be able to reseal that BGS slab and trick anyone.

Who says I'm trying to prove anything? Calm down.[/quote:2of5clcq]

well, when i make a bold statement like BGS cards can not be cracked and resealed and then two minutes later you quote me and show a cracked BGS slab, one would assume that you are trying to prove something. If you weren't trying to prove something, i appoligize ;) Oh and im very calm, just took a couple lunesta's 20 minutes ago to help me relax this evening,

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
G $MONEY$ said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":2f16cmdv]
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":2f16cmdv]How can a PSA slab be better when criminals can open PSA slabs and replace the hi grade card with a lower grade one or even fake cards, then re-seal the slab and sell it and fool many people even hobby vets???

IMG-1.jpg

Who says I'm trying to prove anything? Calm down.[/quote:2f16cmdv]

well, when i make a bold statement like BGS cards can not be cracked and resealed and then two minutes later you quote me and show a cracked BGS slab, one would assume that you are trying to prove something. If you weren't trying to prove something, i appoligize ;) Oh and im very calm, just took a couple lunesta's to relax this evening,[/quote:2f16cmdv]

Yeah, true you did post that. My bad. When I did pop this, some clown on the Beckett board was saying that it was impossible to crack one open without destroying the holder. Up until the scanned image, I had agreed. I was bored one night. Granted, the slab is from about 9-10 years ago so who knows what happens over time with the holders. What the hell is Lunesta?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts