Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bowman Chrome vs. Topps Chrome SUPERFRACTOR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spcollector

Nov 11, 2009
I know everybody in the Hobby loves the Bowman Chrome Supers! My question is, do the Topps Chrome Superfractors come in a close second or are they just not nearly as sought after? If anyone has any comparisons on what a player's Bowman Chrome Super sold for to what his Topps Chrome Super sold for that would be great or any other comments on the topic!

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
I could be wrong. I'm sure beefy or gilmo knows. But I don't think W is a player in Topps Chrome supers market. So by taking the biggest hitter in the game of supers out of the mix, prices are going to reflect that.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah, generally different audiences, TC for set and player collectors, BC prospectors. The non-minor league guys are in both sets, but I don't think many people buy Bowman for those guys. Frankly I've always prefered the TC backs and full stats.

But supers have only been out for five years, a bunch of things can happen.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
The only difference (big one) is that the Bowman Chromes are ofter the players RC and first card. A RC will obviously sell for much more than a veteran base Superfractor.

As a player collector I have the following Tulo Supers:

05 BC
08 BC
09 BC
08 TC

The 08 BC and 08 TC were around the same price.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Frankly I've always prefered the TC backs and full stats

Does having full stats on the back really matter anymore? I used to love sets that had career stats (with league leaders in italics) back in the early-mid 90's because that information wasn't readily available in newspapers and the internet wasn't around. Now it doesn't really matter. A few seconds online and I can find whatever stats I need.

As for TC vs BC:

BC for prospecting, because that's the only place to find minor leaguers. TC doesn't have them.

Either or for vets. There's really no difference between a chrome Bowman card with Superfractor technology and a chrome Topps card with Superfractor technology. Both are popular with rainbow player collectors. Designs are similar. Topps usually has better photography. For me it comes down to which product has gold borders. 2009 TC looks better than 09 BC because BC used black and white borders. In 2007, BC used gold borders and looked better than TC. In a year when both use the same colored borders, I'll go with whatever design/photo is better.

For RC's and RC autos, BC is more popular because of name recognition.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'd definitely agree TC & BC - and lets not forget Finest - are all generally identical except for the MiLBers. Most people think of Bowman in general as being about the MiLBers as its the only thing that differentiates it from the other brands. IMO the MLBers in Bowman are meant to help sell the idea of MiLBers to many audiences who wouldn't consider buying them, this was especially true in the '90s and was a way to exploit Topps' exemption.

One thing we can all count on is that Topps will most likely continue to blur all the elements from TC, BC, Finest, and let's not forget Debut this time, to get people to buy as many of their brands as possible. But if Topps looses the ability to show MiLBers on a different roster things may change. Heck, I can't wait for Topps Debut Chrome 2011, its the way MiLB players were meant to be shown IMO.

Stats matter in that they easily tie the card to a particular year. Seeing how a player progressed or regressed, how many times he led the league, *the names of the teams he played on*, etc. helps make a card enjoyable - certainly more than a one sentence blurb, if even that much exists. A photo and stats is one stop shopping, Topps/Topps Chrome is the only brand that does this, only collecting photos gets kind of boring. Aside from stats I can find tons of photos online, so why bother with cards...besides, baseball is all about stats.

JoshHamilton said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
Frankly I've always prefered the TC backs and full stats

Does having full stats on the back really matter anymore? I used to love sets that had career stats (with league leaders in italics) back in the early-mid 90's because that information wasn't readily available in newspapers and the internet wasn't around. Now it doesn't really matter. A few seconds online and I can find whatever stats I need.

As for TC vs BC:

BC for prospecting, because that's the only place to find minor leaguers. TC doesn't have them.

Either or for vets. There's really no difference between a chrome Bowman card with Superfractor technology and a chrome Topps card with Superfractor technology. Both are popular with rainbow player collectors. Designs are similar. Topps usually has better photography. For me it comes down to which product has gold borders. 2009 TC looks better than 09 BC because BC used black and white borders. In 2007, BC used gold borders and looked better than TC. In a year when both use the same colored borders, I'll go with whatever design/photo is better.

For RC's and RC autos, BC is more popular because of name recognition.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Any of the 3 (TC, BC, Finest) is perfectly fine with me if Zimmerman is on it. I'd pay just as much for any of them.

I own a couple, very different though.
07 BC - $150
07 TC Generation Now 20 - $45
07 Finest Rookie Finest Moments Auto (BGS 9.5) - $75

So prices were all over the place. Depends on how you pick them up. BC was on ebay. Other 2 were from a bulk purchase from a private seller.

I'd have paid $150 for each of them if I had to.

edit: Forgot, not technically a super anymore, but:
2010 Finest Purple 1/1 - $70 (about) ebay

Members online

Latest posts