Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Be realistic when leaving feedback comments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Dear ebayers, please be realistic when leaving feedback. Take in consideration the actual shipping charge stated in the auction agreement. If you do not want to pay the shipping, please do not bid. If the seller charges you what it costs to ship the item, please do not complain. If the seller charges less than the actual shipping charge, please do not hit his or her feedback with a criticism.

This week I sold a card for one cent. Yes, one cent. I posted the shipping charge at $4.00 for Priority Mail shipping. Yes it backfired on me. In any case the final price was $4.01 for the card with shipping. Shipping for Priority Mail cost me $4.75, meaning I actually lost $.74 on the deal. My feedback from the buyer:

good card - shipping on the high side

::facepalm::

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Just wondering... Why would you not just send the card first class for $1.50 through paypal? It might take one more day but usually it doesn't. I just don't understand why you would even consider losing money when you definitely didn't have to especially since paypal includes tracking for only $.19.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
aaron41984 said:
Just wondering... Why would you not just send the card first class for $1.50 through paypal? It might take one more day but usually it doesn't. I just don't understand why you would even consider losing money when you definitely didn't have to especially since paypal includes tracking for only $.19.

Because it is what I agreed to in the auction terms. Yeah I know it stinks that the card only sold for the opening bid. It is tough enough as a seller in that you never know what type of reaction you are going to receive. Had the buyer got with me after the auction saying "Dude I got a steal, how about a smaller shipping platform" after the auction that would be one thing. However, it is not my place to change the terms after the auction has closed. I would certainly not take $4.00 for shipping then ship it with $1.50 in postage.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
RITM said:
Dear ebayers, please be realistic when leaving feedback. Take in consideration the actual shipping charge stated in the auction agreement. If you do not want to pay the shipping, please do not bid. If the seller charges you what it costs to ship the item, please do not complain. If the seller charges less than the actual shipping charge, please do not hit his or her feedback with a criticism.

This week I sold a card for one cent. Yes, one cent. I posted the shipping charge at $4.00 for Priority Mail shipping. Yes it backfired on me. In any case the final price was $4.01 for the card with shipping. Shipping for Priority Mail cost me $4.75, meaning I actually lost $.74 on the deal. My feedback from the buyer:

good card - shipping on the high side

::facepalm::

I paid $5 for shipping and got it in a PWE w/2 $.44 stamps ::facepalm::

Not your auction, of course, but the correct feedback will be left. I always check to see what it was shipped and how it was shipped, before getting pissy. Just common sense (which, after a search on eBay, renders me with ZERO listings :cry: )

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
My guess for those situations is that the buyer wanted the card but didn't like paying for Priority Mail prices, meaning, he would prefer $2-3 and a bubble mailer.

You could offer both to prevent this. Priority Mail and First Class, both with prices listed so the buyer doesn't feel forced into paying a higher price for shipping without the alternative and cheaper option.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I know tons of sellers that offer free shipping across the board who have their Shipping DSR's below 5.

If Ebay wants free shipping then they should make it where the buyers can't ding the DSR's then.

wlalocal71

Aug 7, 2008
SoCal
Sellers that offer free shipping automatically get 5 stars for S&H charges now, just noticed that earlier today. I bought a card with free shipping, when I went to leave feedback I noticed the S&H DSR was grayed out with a pop up that said free shipping automatically gets the seller 5 stars.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
morgoth said:
I know tons of sellers that offer free shipping across the board who have their Shipping DSR's below 5.

If Ebay wants free shipping then they should make it where the buyers can't ding the DSR's then.
I went to leave feedback for some cell phone accessories last night and I couldn't leave a DSR for shipping because they offer free shipping.The note said free shipping automatically gets 5 stars.
Mike

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
This is the most idiotic premise ever. It's brilliant on the part of eBay but absolutely worthless as a matter of fact and implementation. The same thing happened when they did their *free shipping* experiment the first time.

The buyer rates the transaction, not the shipping, the condition, or anything else. If you suck on shipping, you're not going to get 5 stars 3 times and then a 1 on shipping. You're going to get 2, 2, 2, 1.

eBay should, without any questions, implement a rating system that's normally distributed. You either get *higher* than what the buyer normally rates or lower than what the buyer normally rates. The end, two quartiles, two ratings. If you fall into the 2nd and 3rd, it doesn't even matter. It just counts for a positive.

Thus, if some ********* has made a habit of leaving 1s and 2s, it just doesn't matter. You get a 2? Big deal! This should also negatively affect the buyer in someway. They should get emails every second day saying, "You are well below the standard rating over the past 100 transactions -- [strike:23to8e33]STOP BEING A NOB GOBBLER[/strike:23to8e33] Please reevaluate your rating specifications"

Members online

Latest posts