Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WOW, it just hit me that UD Hockey is TWENTY years old!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Eric, when two of the "greatest ever" premiered and retired years ago during our watch (Gretzky and Lemieux)...we're not "old"...we're aged.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
does that make these Vintage rookie cards...

1990UpperDeck.jpg
1990upperdeckblake.jpg

1990upperdeckbure.jpg
1990upperdecknolan.jpg

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
The had the final card of Guy Lafleur and Gretzky in his prime. The 1979 OPC set had the first card of Gretzky and Lafleur in his prime. That 1979 set also had the final card of Gordie Howe, who had his first hockey card in 1951 Parkhurst, the set that had the final card of Turk Broda. Broda's first card was 1936 OPC V304D. The V304D set had King Clancy's final card. His first card is found in the 1923 V145-1 set, which features Joe Malone's final card. His first card was found in the 1910 C56 set...the first hockey set

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
That is really amazing and i can still remember the day the Upper Deck set came out and having my Mom drive me (I would have been around 13-14 back then) across the city to one of the few card shops in the city at that time(That was all about to change though, as the "card boom" was about to hit and my city peaked in about 1991 with roughly 12-15 different card shops in the city. Today we have 4-5 card shops left in the city and one very over priced one in Banff, where they overcharge all the tourists) and remember how surprised people were that cards were over $1 dollar a pack now, lol.

From what i remember from that time (here in Canada) was that Pro-set was $1 per pack, Upper Deck was $1.25-$1.50, Score debuted at $1 per pack, but as the year went on and the Eric Lindros hype grew, Score packs eventually started selling for around $1.50 and they were usually always priced the same as UD for the rest of the year. There were huge card shows all the time and everyone and their dog was collecting. I miss this big shopping mall show by my house that was held back then, quite regularly. There were enough dealers back then that almost the entire length of the mall was one big card show.

Upper Deck French high numbers came out later in the season and that really was the beginning of the high priced $$$ money card coming out of a brand new pack. I believe this is what started it all of what we see today with the big money "Lottery Packs" that sell for hundreds of dollars with a shot of pulling some very high priced cards (like Exquisite, The Cup Etc.). Packs of UD French high #'s were selling for $20-$25 per pack and the big draw card was the French Young Gun RC of Sergei Federov. I also believe this is the first really high priced modern RC to come right out of a brand new pack and be worth hundreds of dollars on the secondary market. Dealer prices for the Federov French RC were $500-$2500 back then. I wonder what they sell for today? I would like to get one for my PC just because it is such an iconic card in the modern Hockey hobby.

What else will be a sad day? When every player from those great 90/91 sets is retired. I think we are getting pretty close to that this year actually.

Can anyone name any players that are still active today that had a card back in the 1990/91 sets??

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Not the French version, but the card on the left, the Sergei Federov Young Guns Rookie Card, was the most popular Upper Deck Hockey card from its inaugural 90/91 release.

15rb40j.jpg

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Mike Modano. Mark Recchi is still around. Is Chelios still playing?

I'm sure a few of the WJC guys are still playing. They'd be 38-39 years old now. Martin Lapointe..?

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
G $MONEY$ said:
Can anyone name any players that are still active today that had a card back in the 1990/91 sets??

Interesting. I just pulled up the CL on Beckett and went through it.

Mike Modano
Mark Recchi (I remember buying this card at a card show)
Mathieu Schneider
Owen Nolan

Of the World Junior guys, with Scott Niedermayer's retirement, none of them are still active.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
thehamiltonian said:
G $MONEY$ said:

Mike Modano
Mathieu Schneider
Owen Nolan

Of the World Junior guys, with Scott Niedermayer's retirement, none of them are still active.

Wow, that is very interesting and a very short list of players that are still active.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
G $MONEY$ said:
thehamiltonian said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":36xvu8yw] Can anyone name any players that are still active today that had a card back in the 1990/91 sets??

Mike Modano
Mathieu Schneider
Owen Nolan

Wow, that is very interesting and a very short list of players that are still active.[/quote:36xvu8yw]

now that makes me feel old :(

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
pghbuccos said:
G $MONEY$ said:
thehamiltonian said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":2fh94vz4] Can anyone name any players that are still active today that had a card back in the 1990/91 sets??

Mike Modano
Mathieu Schneider
Owen Nolan

Wow, that is very interesting and a very short list of players that are still active.

now that makes me feel old :([/quote:2fh94vz4]

indeed :(

Latest posts