Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MVP Scenario

Who is the MVP?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If Player A is 1st in every major offensive category and Player B is 2nd, but Player B's team goes to the playoffs and Player A's does not, who is the MVP?

Assume Player A leads in all categories by a small, but noticeable margin. For example, he hits .340 with 40 homeruns and 135 RBI, Player B hits .328 with 35 homers and 120 RBI.

While this post may sound similar to the Cabrera/Hamilton AL MVP race, this question is purely hypothetical. Please vote based on the hypothetical situation rather than relating this to any real life scenario.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Using the Playoffs to determine value is a completely arbitrary measure (one can just as easily only pick a player from the winning team in the World Series since technically once it is said and done any efforts by anyone else were futile.) Give me Player A every day.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Topnotchsy said:
Using the Playoffs to determine value is a completely arbitrary measure (one can just as easily only pick a player from the winning team in the World Series since technically once it is said and done any efforts by anyone else were futile.) Give me Player A every day.

I agree with this.

Not to mention, 5 home runs and 15 RBI isn't a "small" difference, since it would take roughly two weeks of solid production to get that (from a player who ends the season at 35 and 120).

Based on the stats provided, Player A proved to be the best player in the league and probably most valuable to his team as well.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
How far out was Player A's team from the playoffs? Were they a 2nd place team or a dead last team?
Who else plays on Player B's team? Did Player B carrry the team himself or did he have a handful of guys that performed well?
How did the two players perform in clutch situations?
What positions do they play? How are they defensively?

There's more to an MVP race than just stats and team finishes...

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I voted B.

Though I agree with Sly - those all seem like legitimate factors that would sway my vote one way or another.

With the hypothetical situation - there was little information, so I was forced to make my own assumptions.
That being the case - I made the assumption Player B with the numbers he had made significant contributions to lead a team to the playoffs....coming up big, in big moments is a big thing to me when determining MVP.
Not that someone who doesn't make the playoffs can't/shouldn't win.....but the numbers given were similar enough that I'd have to favor the guy on the winning team over the potential empty stats.

If it was Offensive Player of the year (or I guess is the Silver Slugger or something the baseball equivalent?) I'd vote Player A.....but MVP is different at least to me.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Without any other context except for player B presumably has a more talented team around him, I'll take player A all day long.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Kardkollector46 said:
Player A of course!! Two words... Triple Crown :lol:

Yeah, but Ted Williams won the Triple Crown twice, and didn't win the MVP either season. Both times, it went to the best hitter on the team that won the pennant, the Yankees (Joe Gordon in 1942, Joe DiMaggio in 1947).

Kardkollector46

Aug 7, 2008
Connecticut
leatherman said:
Kardkollector46 said:
Player A of course!! Two words... Triple Crown :lol:

Yeah, but Ted Williams won the Triple Crown twice, and didn't win the MVP either season. Both times, it went to the best hitter on the team that won the pennant, the Yankees (Joe Gordon in 1942, Joe DiMaggio in 1947).
True but the pure rarity of it occurring in this era is so ridiculous that a Triple Crown Winner would be a lock for MVP.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The assumption is that all other things are equal. They play the same position and are equal as defenders. Even assume their offensive teammates are exactly equal (and of course Player B's team made the playoffs based on pitching).

Basically what it comes down to is whether being the best player on a player team is more important than being the best player in the League.

Members online

Latest posts