Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could someone please breakdown Fleer vs Fleer Tradition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Fleer started as a stand alone for cards in 1981 (never mind those random 60s Baseball and FB sets)
and continued to put out "base sets" until they went belly up, correct?

what year was that?
when did they change the name of their flagship base set to "Tradition"? (im curious for BB/FB and BKB)

am i correct in saying that the "Tradition" set replaced the flagship base set?

Thanks,
Eric

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Fleer tradition started in 1998 and replaced the regular set. I think in 2002 there was both a Fleer and a Fleer Tradition.

stalegum

Aug 13, 2010
NoVA,SoJers
ThoseBackPages said:
Fleer started as a stand alone for cards in 1981 (never mind those random 60s Baseball and FB sets)
and continued to put out "base sets" until they went belly up, correct?

what year was that?
when did they change the name of their flagship base set to "Tradition"? (im curious for BB/FB and BKB)

am i correct in saying that the "Tradition" set replaced the flagship base set?

Thanks,
Eric

Fleer renamed, but did not replace, their flagship set to "Fleer Tradition" in 1998. They did come out with a set called "Fleer Baseball" in 2002, but it is not considered part of the Fleer/Fleer Tradition lineage.

stalegum

Aug 13, 2010
NoVA,SoJers
hofmichael said:
Fleer Tradition was almost like a Heritage type product in 2002 and 2003.

2000 Fleer Tradition was a knock-off of the '54 Topps set. You could make a strong argument that 2000 Fleer Tradition was "Topps Heritage" before there even was a Topps Heritage.

'01 Tradition was loosely based on '55 Topps, but not as obvious as the previous year's Tradition.

'02 Tradition: '34 Goudey
'03 Tradition: '63 Fleer
'04 Tradition: '90 Fleer
'05 Tradition: No one set in particular.

Members online

Latest posts