Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The prime suspects might never have cards again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Palmeiro, et al, put up some amazing numbers, but what they did with or without PEDs will forever be a mystery. However, none have had cards recently from the major licensed producers, UD or Topps. Clemens had some 2009 cards, and he and McGwire and Bonds are in 2010 sets from off-brands like Obak, Sport Kings, and Famous Fabrics. Actually, the Sport Kings cards of McGwire are really nice looking. But I think Bonds's last cards were in 2007 and Palmeiro's in 2006. Bonds was an oddity in the hobby for his last couple years before retiring anyway, but he was still in some major sets.

I just find it odd that, tainted though they may be, such major figures disappear from the hobby nearly completely. I'm sure at some point they'll be back after enough time passes and there's time for passions to cool about the whole era. I mean, in 2020, it'll seem like ancient history, especially if someone like A-Rod or, preferably, Pujols, is able to take over the all-time home run lead and make everyone feel better.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
ITG, Panini, Razor, etc would have to sign them to individual contracts. Bonds would be out of this world expensive and not worth it. No one wants Palmeiro (other than NYCrulesU, and I don't consider him a human being).

Guys like Pete Rose were great for Panini and ITG. High demand, low price (Rose will do anything for money). Bonds is low demand, high price

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
ITG, Panini, Razor, etc would have to sign them to individual contracts. Bonds would be out of this world expensive and not worth it. No one wants Palmeiro (other than NYCrulesU, and I don't consider him a human being).

Guys like Pete Rose were great for Panini and ITG. High demand, low price (Rose will do anything for money). Bonds is low demand, high price

You say that but whoever does sign them has some exclusivity as well. Supply and demand. So at least some will sell because they are the only ones who have them.

As for NCYrulesU, where the hell is that guy? I haven't seen him here in ages.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
predatorkj said:
JoshHamilton said:

You say that but whoever does sign them has some exclusivity as well. Supply and demand. So at least some will sell because they are the only ones who have them.

As for NCYrulesU, where the hell is that guy? I haven't seen him here in ages.
'bout to ask that same question. Been gone for months. I miss the hilarity.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Hmm, good observation. McGwire and Palmeiro already have almost 5,000 cards to chase each...Bonds 11,600 (?!) if I'm reading Beckett right. Will the sheer numbers of cards these guys already have make their future cards less interesting?

I wonder if in the future cards made while the player was playing will be more popular than his post-retirement cards.

smapdi said:
Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Palmeiro, et al, put up some amazing numbers, but what they did with or without PEDs will forever be a mystery. However, none have had cards recently from the major licensed producers, UD or Topps. Clemens had some 2009 cards, and he and McGwire and Bonds are in 2010 sets from off-brands like Obak, Sport Kings, and Famous Fabrics. Actually, the Sport Kings cards of McGwire are really nice looking. But I think Bonds's last cards were in 2007 and Palmeiro's in 2006. Bonds was an oddity in the hobby for his last couple years before retiring anyway, but he was still in some major sets.

I just find it odd that, tainted though they may be, such major figures disappear from the hobby nearly completely. I'm sure at some point they'll be back after enough time passes and there's time for passions to cool about the whole era. I mean, in 2020, it'll seem like ancient history, especially if someone like A-Rod or, preferably, Pujols, is able to take over the all-time home run lead and make everyone feel better.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
The prime suspects we like will have some cards - the Steroid cads who aren't 'collectible' will not.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Hmm, good observation. McGwire and Palmeiro already have almost 5,000 cards to chase each...Bonds 11,600 (?!) if I'm reading Beckett right. Will the sheer numbers of cards these guys already have make their future cards less interesting?

I wonder if in the future cards made while the player was playing will be more popular than his post-retirement cards.

smapdi said:

Doubtful. Seeing as how most of the post retirement stuff is all GU/autos/serial numbered. People like that stuff.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
predatorkj said:

smapdi said:

Doubtful. Seeing as how most of the post retirement stuff is all GU/autos/serial numbered. People like that stuff.
Agreed.
I haven't seen ANY decline in Ripken popularity in cards.

mannyramirezcollec

Apr 11, 2009
henderson939 said:
Harsh words for NYCrulesU. I thought he was alright. Wasnt he planning a major move to more peaceful life out west?

Yeah then he went to Baltimore and paid some prostitutes for handys or something like that, he also talked about hitting his wife....but other then that he seemed like a cool guy.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
One HUGE difference is that Ripken retired in 2001, he didn't have very many gu/autos at all at that time, and only serial numbered cards at the tail end of his career; I don't think Ripken would be a good example.

It will be interesting to see the future demand of more modern players - ones who started their MLB careers within the last four or five years - and see how popular their post-retirement cards with all the latest 'bells & whistles' will be (assuming there are new bells & whistles) given the number of cards they have produced nowadays.

Russ S. said:
predatorkj said:

smapdi said:

Agreed.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
One HUGE difference is that Ripken retired in 2001, he didn't have very many gu/autos at all at that time, and only serial numbered cards at the tail end of his career; I don't think Ripken would be a good example.

It will be interesting to see the future demand of more modern players - ones who started their MLB careers within the last four or five years - and see how popular their post-retirement cards with all the latest 'bells & whistles' will be (assuming there are new bells & whistles) given the number of cards they have produced nowadays.

Russ S. said:
predatorkj said:

smapdi said:

Agreed.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens. One, because there's only so much memorabilia for older players. And two, the newer retired players have already had Gu cards.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
mannyramirezcollec said:
henderson939 said:
Harsh words for NYCrulesU. I thought he was alright. Wasnt he planning a major move to more peaceful life out west?

Yeah then he went to Baltimore and paid some prostitutes for handys or something like that, he also talked about hitting his wife....but other then that he seemed like a cool guy.
I heard his trailor park has no one to leach internet access from any longer.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Russ S. said:
predatorkj said:

smapdi said:

Agreed.

Ripken's not freaking popular! :lol:

J/K

;)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Russ S. said:
predatorkj said:

smapdi said:

Agreed.

Well that was what I was getting at. A lot of the older players...the only real reason they get collected post retirement is either new people getting in or deciding to collect them or the vet collectors snagging autos and and GU. And since autos and GU are always popular...even if someone now retires...unless there becomes and extreme disinterest in autos and GU I don't see it stopping.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
nborton said:

Russ S. said:
predatorkj said:

[quote="smapdi":17xpknaf]Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Palmeiro, et al, put up some amazing numbers, but what they did with or without PEDs will forever be a mystery. However, none have had cards recently from the major licensed producers, UD or Topps. Clemens had some 2009 cards, and he and McGwire and Bonds are in 2010 sets from off-brands like Obak, Sport Kings, and Famous Fabrics. Actually, the Sport Kings cards of McGwire are really nice looking. But I think Bonds's last cards were in 2007 and Palmeiro's in 2006. Bonds was an oddity in the hobby for his last couple years before retiring anyway, but he was still in some major sets.

Agreed.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens. One, because there's only so much memorabilia for older players. And two, the newer retired players have already had Gu cards.[/quote:17xpknaf]

Insane patches will always keep the interest churning.

Members online

Latest posts