Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should Hamilton Still Be In Contention For The AL MVP???

Should he?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Miguel Cabrera has been Mr. Consistency all year. Idk if he'll end up winning it, but I find it impressive that he has been the only player in this discussion from the very beginning of the year all the way to the very end.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Miguel Cabrera has been Mr. Consistency all year. Idk if he'll end up winning it, but I find it impressive that he has been the only player in this discussion from the very beginning of the year all the way to the very end.

Thats what Ive been thinking, but his team isnt making it to the playoffs, which really helps.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I don't think he should be. Before his injury I didn't think there was a player more valuable to his team's success this year than Hamilton, then he went down and the Rangers kept right on trucking without missing a beat...heck havent they won 8 in a row or something? In the end, his weak comparatively weak stat line (31 HR, 97 RBI) doesn't necessarily exclude him IMO but his 30+ games missed this season do. He's a great player playing in a great lineup.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
yes, i have been cabrera for mvp all season and with hamilton being out he has had a real chance to turn it up and instead he has been playing his worst baseball of the season

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
That's a good question. Obviously Cabrera is right there at the top of the discussion. I think Paul Konerko, Robinson Cano, and maybe Carl Crawford have to be at the top of the list as well. A potential darkhorse could be Jose Bautista also in a year where nobody has jumped out in front.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
To all of you crack smokers who think Hamilton should not be MVP..

Without Hamilton the Rangers are a .500 team.

To win the MVP on a non-playoff team you have to have a super stat season and no one in the AL is having that. Yes, Cabrera, Cano, Konerko, and Bautista have marginally better numbers in certain categories, but no one is more valuable to their team than Hamilton.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Gonzaleznut said:
Without Hamilton the Rangers are a .500 team.

I hate it when people say crap like this.

You have absolutely no idea what the Rangers' record would be if Hamilton didn't play this year. Neither do I, neither does anyone else.

If anything, their record with him on the DL completely disproves your hypothetical "point"

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Ok, then I will use more concrete numbers...

Hamilton Category Cabrera
1st BA 4th
2nd OBP 1st
1st SLG 3rd
1st OPS 2nd
8th Runs 2nd
3rd Hits 8th
1st Total Bases 3rd
8th 2Bs 1st
4th HRs 3rd

I would give the slight edge to Hamilton based on statistics alone, so I would think the Rangers in the playoffs would seal the deal.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
All Longoria's WAR proves is that the Rays have crappy replacements...

leatherman said:
How about the guy with the highest AL WAR? He also happens to be on a team headed to the playoffs.

Mr. Evan Longoria

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The stat has nothing to do with the players on the team, it is based on hypothetical replacements.

Gonzaleznut said:
All WAR proves is that the Rays have crappy replacements...

leatherman said:
How about the guy with the highest AL WAR? He also happens to be on a team headed to the playoffs.

Mr. Evan Longoria

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
leatherman said:

Mr. Evan Longoria

really? I mean i could make an argument that longoria is the 3rd best at his position in the AL considering arod has 4 more hr's and 12 more rbi's..yes longoria leads him in avg and obp but Arod has also missed a decent stretch of the season due to injury and beltres number's are better than both arod and longoria. I know alot of people on these boards like longoria but i just dont see how his name would even be in the mix

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
It has nothing to do with the Rays replacements and the Rays have a very strong bench.

Rafael Soriano has been by far the Rays MVP this season

Gonzaleznut said:
All Longoria's WAR proves is that the Rays have crappy replacements...

leatherman said:

Mr. Evan Longoria

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Top defensive WAR in the 2010 AL: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... reit/x82Ht

Top offensive WAR in the 2010 AL: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... reit/5PZ3q

Longoria is #6 on defense, and #4 on offense. He is the unquestionable leader of the Rays, who are going to the playoffs. I think he'll get a lot more MVP votes than most people think. If he has a dominating final two weeks of the season, and the Rays win the AL East, I think he'll win the MVP (over Hamilton, with Cabrera finishing third).

Members online

Latest posts