Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brewers have 3 guys with 100 RBI's....none named Prince

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If they had three and 2 were Prince and Braun it wouldn't be as much of a shock.

Congrats to Mr. Hart and Mr. McGehee for their 100th RBI's tonight in a season of the pitcher...Braun got his 103rd.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
cgilmo said:
RBI's are situational and not a good indicator of performance

I would argue that 100 RBI's is a very good indication of performance.... that means they have executed when runners are in scoring position - MULTIPLE times...execution is important in the game of baseball.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
Still very upset that Mcgehee is so underrated!!! I dont understand what else he has to do to get noticed.

You can get a bowman sterling rookie card auto of him for $3!! ::facepalm::

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
cgilmo said:
numba1yankeefan said:
cgilmo said:

how do you rate performance then? Batting average?

They are both hitting a solid .284 with 20+ hrs

OPS is a much better indicator

You really don't wanna have this discussion with a follower of hypothetical stats.

I have been wondering lately if there is a stat that measures HRs and RBI that either tie the game or gives your team the lead. Not counting the 1st inning.

jgro85

Mar 15, 2010
Long Beach, CA
kdailsy, WPA, while not perfect, is probably a more accurate indicator of "clutch"-ness. For example, someone that his a lead-off HR will have a lower WPA than someone that hits a walk-off, whereas OPS and some other stats just use game totals.

And numba1yankfan, you really don't wanna ask that question. :lol:

As Epstein said, and so have people with brains, the number one indicator of performance is how often you don't make outs (or how often you get on base), considering that the objective of a hitter is to...get on base. *light bulb*

Batting average, runs, RBI's...they just don't matter.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
numba1yankeefan said:
Still very upset that Mcgehee is so underrated!!! I dont understand what else he has to do to get noticed.

You can get a bowman sterling rookie card auto of him for $3!! ::facepalm::

hes old, thats why he has little CV

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
cgilmo said:
numba1yankeefan said:
cgilmo said:

You really don't wanna have this discussion with a follower of hypothetical stats.

I have been wondering lately if there is a stat that measures HRs and RBI that either tie the game or gives your team the lead. Not counting the 1st inning.

I just discussed this in another thread...clutch hitting and winshares

...Check Bill James stats...Google "Bill James RCAA" he suggests Edgar Martinez is one of top 10 living hitters, and Bill knows something about stats.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
hofautos said:
kdailey4315 said:
cgilmo said:
numba1yankeefan said:
cgilmo said:

I just discussed this in another thread...clutch hitting and winshares

...Check Bill James stats...Google "Bill James RCAA" he suggests Edgar Martinez is one of top 10 living hitters, and Bill knows something about stats.

and Bill James is an advisor for the Red Sox, right?

Because doesnt Bill James have a hard-on for David wright? id love to see him traded to the Red Sox

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
cgilmo said:

I would argue that 100 RBI's is a very good indication of performance.... that means they have executed when runners are in scoring position - MULTIPLE times...execution is important in the game of baseball.
I agree with this 100%

McGehee had a great season, I'm glad I picked him up as early as I did in my fantasy league this year. ;)

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
In case you are wondering, the 1936 Yankees are the only team to have five players with 100 RBIs in a season. The 2010 Yankees have three players with 100 RBIs as well, and it is highly unlikely that any other team will join them and the Brewers with three such players this year.

There have been 24 other teams with four 100 RBI players, most recently the 2003 Atlanta Braves (Andruw Jones, Chipper Jones, Javy Lopez, Gary Sheffield). In 1999, there were 5 teams with four 100 RBI players (and 3 other teams with three 100 RBI players).

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
cgilmo said:

C'mon, Chris. You can't believe that. Run-production is the single most important thing a hitter can do because runs win games. A team can't win a game without scoring a run, and someone has to drive it in.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
sportscardtheory said:
cgilmo said:

C'mon, Chris. You can't believe that. Run-production is the single most important thing a hitter can do because runs win games. A team can't win a game without scoring a run, and someone has to drive it in.

Agreed, this thought process is just silly. Who cares how often you get on base if you don't score the run? I love OPS, etc, but it certainly isn't the only stat that matters when evaluaiting a hitter. When I was younger, I never really cared much about the homerun stat. I thought that if a hitter had a .300 avg, 100 RBI and 100 runs scored, then they were a stud. I still agree with this. I personally think that Homeruns are the most overrated stat in baseball. If a non-homerun hitter still scores and drives in the same amount of runs as a home-run hitter does, I would argue the non-homerun hitter is more valuable. A homerun is often a rally killer.

ehhh, went off on a tangent there.

Have you ever noticed that most of these newer "stat guys" have never played the game? Just saying.

skrip

Members online

Latest posts