Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Quade Staying On as Cubs Manager

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Cubs name Mike Quade manager ESPNChicago.com

The Chicago Cubs removed the interim tag from Mike Quade and named him the manager with a two-year deal and a club option for 2013, the team announced Tuesday.

Quade took over for Lou Piniella, when he retired on Aug. 22, and Quade guided the Cubs to a 24-13 record down the stretch.

The long-time minor-league manager was considered a finalist for the job with Triple-A manager and Cubs' Hall of Fame second baseman Ryne Sandberg.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
I'm sure Sandberg is pissed. I really don't care who the manager is as the effect on the team will be minimal. The Cubs will be bad again next year no matter who the manager is.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
JoshHamilton said:
Off topic, but after reading your sig, I now have Free Your Mind stuck in my head. Ugh

Watch the video again, then tell me that's a bad thing.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Jim Hendry your a fracking liar. A lair I tell you. You said you were not going to rush into finding a replacement for Lou, you said you would take your time. You also stated that it would be more around November or even early December before you would make an announcement on your search for the next guy to not lead the Cubs to the playoffs. I hate you Jim Hendry, I hate you.

Ok now with that off my chest, Hey Mike Quade can be the sacrificial lamb for a team that will be inundated with young players on it, and will seem to be in a rebuilding mode for those 2 years he will be at the helm.
Good Luck Mike you will need it.
Signed a long-time Cub fan.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
cubfan131 said:
I'm sure Sandberg is pissed. I really don't care who the manager is as the effect on the team will be minimal. The Cubs will be bad again next year no matter who the manager is.

Exactly, they should want Sandberg to succeed. With the roster as it sits this is a loosing team for the next two years until payroll is fixed. Sandberg will get his shot once he builds a bit more experience and the Northsiders can build a better team for him.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
I do agree that they should have waited a little longer, but I have no problem with Quade as manager. With the team's support behind him, hopefully he can help improve the team. They will win the World Series in 2012; then the world will end :eek:

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Why wouldn't they wait to see what Girardi does?
I agree, no matter who it is, they will still suck! I hope they can get some quality players for Sandberg.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Quade is a good man and is very professional about the way he runs a team. He has been in the system for a long time. Considering the youth on the team the move makes a lot of sense. As far as Sandberg goes Ryno needs a little more experience. Ryno makes Lou's antics look like those of a choir boy. If Ryno can't handle himself better in the bigs than in the minors Sandberg would be too big of a distraction.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Once again the Cubs throw up the middle finger to their fans. It is bad enough you haven’t given a major market team a WS victory in over 100 years but now you tell the fans to go F themselves by hiring the one name amongst all the managerial names being thrown out that nobody wanted. The Cubs aren’t going to win in 2011 and the one shred of joy you could have provided the fans would have been to bring a deserving Cubs legend back to Wrigley and you didn’t do it.

As much as I hate (and I do mean hate) the Chicago Cubs, I actually feel sorry for their fans today. The Chicago Cubs ownership/management does not, has not, and will never care for their fans…sad really.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
I may be the minority but I am actually happy with this decision...I don't think that Ryno is the right move right now. Even though thats what the fans wanted it was not what was best for this team.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Sandberg is totally welcome in Milwaukee. That would be awesome. They shat on him and he goes to the rival 90-miles away and gets them back. As far as I know Milwaukee doesn't have any plans to inverview him yet - but that could change.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Quade did a good job of screwing the Padres that second to last series of the year. Pretty sure he tinkered the rotation to make it harder on the Padres. Not sure if he was just trying really hard to keep the job or if that's how he is; either way seems like that's what the Cubs need.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Doesn't seem to make much sense......
Seemed like Sandberg was a natural candidate if you wanted to go that way promoting him from within
or
If they were really interested in Girardi - the way things are going in the ALCS, it seems there's a very real possibility he could have been an option if you gave it a few weeks.

I can't imagine this is going to play well here in Chicago.......then again I'm not a Cubs fan, so I could be wrong.....just seemed there were expecting and hoping for something big - not just sticking with the interim.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
rymflaherty said:
Seemed like Sandberg was a natural candidate if you wanted to go that way promoting him from within
or
If they were really interested in Girardi - the way things are going in the ALCS, it seems there's a very real possibility he could have been an option if you gave it a few weeks.

I can't imagine this is going to play well here in Chicago.......then again I'm not a Cubs fan, so I could be wrong.....just seemed there were expecting and hoping for something big - not just sticking with the interim.

Im sure it wont play well with most fans in Chicago, but, Quade is the best choice! He has the respect of the team..and that is what matters most. Anyone who says the record is because they were meaningless games. Ask the Passes and Cardinals how meaningless those games were.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
ahill1 said:
rymflaherty said:
or

Im sure it wont play well with most fans in Chicago, but, Quade is the best choice! He has the respect of the team..and that is what matters most. Anyone who says the record is because they were meaningless games. Ask the Passes and Cardinals how meaningless those games were.

Ya it won't play well with most "fans", but it was the right move.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Zambrano38 said:
I do agree that they should have waited a little longer, but I have no problem with Quade as manager. With the team's support behind him, hopefully he can help improve the team. They will win the World Series in 2012; then the world will end :eek:
I'd be down for that!

Latest posts