Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

do you need the "RC"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I was wondering what really makes the rookie card a rookie card now a days. I do collect rookie cards (well the ones I pull I just keep) but they have a "RC" on them. But I has a Stras and Heyward topps chrome refractor cards without the "RC". They came out now in there rookie year cards or is it not a rookie because it is some form of insert?
Any thoughts?

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I consider parallels that is released during that player's first year to be a RC whether it has the label of RC or not. Inserts in my mind however do not count.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
What I've noticed is the use of the logo is lax these days, meaning Topps can slap on the RC logo on nearly anything it makes, whether they are special refractor bonus cards, inserts or basic cards coming out packs.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
There are two ways of thinking. One feels like the first year cards are not rookie because they have not played a mlb game and such. The other doesn't care about that and wants the first year card by a major manufacturer, usually Bowman Chrome. Its up to the collector to find what suits them.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Personally, I only consider them a rookie with a logo. The rest, I consider prospect cards. That's just my personal view on how I classify them in my collection.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Then in years to come they will need to have at least 2 definitions, Modern and Vintage

In older set the so called "Rookie" is the first card made of the player as a Big Leaguer, or all cards from the first year the player played in MLB.

But usually the most sought after card is his "Prookie" or Minor League cards, and the older the better. ie 1914 Balt News Ruth, 1934 Zeenut DiMaggio, 1910 T210 Jackson

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
Before this year I thought the RC logo was a stupid idea. My opinion of the logo has changed this year. This is partly due to the strong RC logo class. Because of this strong class, in future years I will probally hold a greater significane on the logo. However, I will consider their first chrome cards or first year cards, their "true" rookie card.

RC Logo Class
Stephen Strasburg (also true RC year)
Jason Heyward
Buster Posey
Carlos Santana
Starlin Castro

Did I miss any big ones?

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Yea. i always keep the 1st year bowman and so forth but the big names such as stras and so forth i keep too just incase.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Card Magnet said:
Personally, I only consider them a rookie with a logo. The rest, I consider prospect cards. That's just my personal view on how I classify them in my collection.

This would also be the first thing I'd say to someone who wasn't familiar with the hobby. I might also say to this person that the logo is only necessary because of the MLBP license which allows anyone (I think anyone anyway) to be shown with an MLB jersey/team name ...which has been one way cards have become more complicated.

If a player had a card(s) issued prior, they'd be first years, pro-debut or minor-league rookies to me.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
CubsFan13 said:
Before this year I thought the RC logo was a stupid idea. My opinion of the logo has changed this year. This is partly due to the strong RC logo class. Because of this strong class, in future years I will probally hold a greater significane on the logo. However, I will consider their first chrome cards or first year cards, their "true" rookie card.

RC Logo Class
Jason Heyward
Buster Posey
Carlos Santana
Starlin Castro

Did I miss any big ones?

Doesn't Stanton have cards this year with the RC Logo? Also not a huge one, but Ike Davis is in this years "RC" crop.

~AJ

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
ajbraves25 said:
CubsFan13 said:

RC Logo Class
Jason Heyward
Buster Posey
Carlos Santana
Starlin Castro

Did I miss any big ones?

Doesn't Stanton have cards this year with the RC Logo? Also not a huge one, but Ike Davis is in this years "RC" crop.

~AJ

Yep, they sure do. This class is amazing. All seven of the above names will be regular all stars.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
fkw said:
Then in years to come they will need to have at least 2 definitions, Modern and Vintage

In older set the so called "Rookie" is the first card made of the player as a Big Leaguer, or all cards from the first year the player played in MLB.

But usually the most sought after card is his "Prookie" or Minor League cards, and the older the better. ie 1914 Balt News Ruth, 1934 Zeenut DiMaggio, 1910 T210 Jackson

~But....but! Beckett lists his 1933 Goudey as his RC card!~

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
scotty21690 said:
fkw said:

~But....but! Beckett lists his 1933 Goudey as his RC card!~

I copied the following from a post Chris Levy wrote a while back that shows that kinda puts to rest the first is always the best:

Joe Orlando's list of the Top 10 sports cards...
1. 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner
"First" Wagner card: 1899-00 Sporting News Supplements M101-1
2. 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle
"First" Mantle card: 1951 Bowman
3. 1916 M101-4 Sporting News Babe Ruth
"First" Ruth card: 1914 Baltimore News
4. 1909-11 T206 Eddie Plank
"First" Plank card: 1903-04 Breisch-Williams E107
5. 1933 Goudey Napoleon Lajoie
"First" Lajoie card: 1903-04 Breisch-Williams E107
6. 1911 Turkey Red T3 Ty Cobb
"First" Cobb card: 1902-11 Sporting Life Cabinets W600
7. 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth
"First" Ruth card: 1914 Baltimore News
8. 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle
...wow. An actual "first" card.
9. 1914 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
"First" Jackson card: 1902-11 Sporting Life Cabinets W600
10. 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig
"First" Gehrig card: 1925 Exhibit

The "RC" designation just does not hold water before WW2.

And, just to note, the most desired Williams card is arguably the 1954 Wilson Franks card ... issued a generation after the '39 Play Ball.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I used to like collecting all cards of my favorite players. In recent years, I've sort of realized that the ones that remain most desirable over time (and therefore also hold value most consistently) are the prospect cards and RC Logo cards, so I have switched my collecting habits accordingly. I'm about 85% prospector and 15% collector, but when I do buy a card for my collection, it's usually a rookie of some sort.

Members online

Latest posts