Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Desmond Jennings Won't Be Handed Starting Gig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
According to the St. Petersburg Times' Marc Topkin, the most likely scenario has Matt Joyce, not Desmond Jennings, as the Rays' starting left fielder.

From rotoworld:
Topkin does add that Jennings will "get a long spring chance to show if he's ready." There's no question that Jennings possesses the higher upside of the two, but the Rays have said that he'll have to earn the left field job and it won't just be handed to him. He could begin the year at Triple-A if the team feels he needs a bit more seasoning. Joyce hit .241/.360/.477 with 10 homers over 216 at-bats for the Rays in 2010 and is a potentially intriguing player in his own right.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Desmond needs to earn his job, so I am fine with that. Joyce potentially provides left handed power and has more MLB experience. Plus, Despond will be under pressure to be the next Crawford, so until he proves he is ready for the job they shouldn't give it to him.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
James52411 said:
Desmond needs to earn his job, so I am fine with that. Joyce potentially provides left handed power and has more MLB experience. Plus, Despond will be under pressure to be the next Crawford, so until he proves he is ready for the job they shouldn't give it to him.

This. And I think he will.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm not a proponent of handing anyone anything, so I'm glad to hear this as well. This also serves as a reminder that, no matter how talented the player, just because he's in Bowman Chrome doesn't mean he'll be #1 All-Star Super Player as soon as he laces the cleats.

Members online

Latest posts