Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Examine cards before Grading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Do you guys examine your cards under a microscope (or something similar) before you submit them for grading. Or is this taking it too far? Discuss.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I just eye ball it. 1/1 so far on a 9.5 Currently I have 3 vintage cards in which won't be close to gem so it didn't matter

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
No offense, but this is kind of a dumb question. Of course you look closely with a loupe or better. If you don't, you are taking a shot in the dark.

Not exactly true; it's not a dumb question.

You have to know what to look for, but the biggest factor is hoping that the grading company will miss seeing a defect that you see. Example, your card isn't quite 50/50 and you hope it will fit into their criteria for a 9.5 or 10. When you get it back, you realize that you spent $5-10 when you could have saved it and the card is a 9.

Secondly, they usually catch what you don't see - a surface wrinkle, a small discoloration or another minor defect. So a loupe is handy.

I have a loupe, but it needs a new battery since I think it was accidentally left on and drained the battery. I've submitted with and without a loupe. I've gotten plenty of PSA 10's as well as BGS 9.5's from either method.

Loupe or not, the main thing is to never hype up your card's condition. If it's off center - it's off center. A soft corner is always a soft corner. You always have to be objective about the conditions of your cards.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
sportscardtheory said:
No offense, but this is kind of a dumb question. Of course you look closely with a loupe or better. If you don't, you are taking a shot in the dark.

I don't and have had success. It's not a requirement but using something I'm sure helps.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
bballcardkid said:
sportscardtheory said:

I don't and have had success. It's not a requirement but using something I'm sure helps.

Yeah I just use naked eye vision and have had plenty of success. I take the time to examine them closely though, it's not just an automatic submission for anything close.

Probably 90% of my submissions have been 9.5.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
sportscardtheory said:
Not a dumb question at all, i have always graded cards by looking at them by eye and have had a good part gem. ::facepalm::

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Krom said:
sportscardtheory said:
Not a dumb question at all, i have always graded cards by looking at them by eye and have had a good part gem. ::facepalm::

Obviously it's much easier to get higher grades from modern sets. Clearly I wasn't talking about Chrome or most modern sets, which is MUCH easier to see flaws on.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
bballcardkid said:
sportscardtheory said:

Yeah I just use naked eye vision and have had plenty of success. I take the time to examine them closely though, it's not just an automatic submission for anything close.

Probably 90% of my submissions have been 9.5.

Maybe you would be at 100% using a loupe. It's what they use to grade your cards, so it makes sense to use it too. I don't really care if you or anyone else has a good success-rate subbing modern cards, because they are generally in better condition anyways. I was talking about older stuff or non-Chrome cards. I wasn't thinking about how much this board is geared towards prospectors and modern collectors. It makes sense to use a loupe whether you have a high success rate without one or not.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Grading modern and vintage are two different beasts. Modern is much easier to grade by eye, especially shiny modern in that light contrasts their surfaces well. If you grade vintage cardboard, a loupe should be standard operating procedure. Surface wrinkles, chipping, paper loss, breaks...all of these things can occur on a level below even that of those with 20/10 vision.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
sportscardtheory said:

No offense taken. But really? A dumb question? I'd bet most collectors send cards in without additional inspection (other than what you can see with the naked eye). Although I respect your opinion, I refuse to see how it's a 'dumb question'.

Latest posts