Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

very very sad part 2 yet another ****** bag sports writer!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
these guys keep coming out of the woodwork! now it's a bash on Mark McGwire!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof11/col ... id=5959091

why not take ALL the players from the 90's and BURN THEM AT THE STAKE
icon_twisted.gif

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Everyone is at fault for steroids as everyone turned a blind eye.

Had the fans cared, the media would have covered it, but they simply give us what we wanted at the time...home run tallys on the front page of the sports section. We wanted to believe even though logic dictated otherwise. Anyone who truly feels duped and let down, was simply too blind or not paying attention.

Selig turned an eye.
The owners turned their eyes.
The players turned their eyes.
The union turned their eyes.
The reporters turned their eyes.

All for one reason..."baseball was back!" and because of that, the money was rolling in.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
McGwire used to have Andro sitting in his locker during the chase, even hawked it on TV before it was banned. Why would anyone believe that, 1. he never used any other enhancer and 2. that no one turned a blind eye to the situation to sell baseball as America's game again.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
ronfromfresno said:
McGwire used to have Andro sitting in his locker during the chase, even hawked it on TV before it was banned. Why would anyone believe that, 1. he never used any other enhancer and 2. that no one turned a blind eye to the situation to sell baseball as America's game again.

This is not a matter of belief, but a matter of inclusion/exclusion from an era of complacence and complicity.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
uniquebaseballcards said:
nosterbor said:
these guys keep coming out of the woodwork! now it's a bash on Mark McGwire!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof11/col ... id=5959091

why not take ALL the players from the 90's and BURN THEM AT THE STAKE
icon_twisted.gif
I don't see why someone would be a ****** for whatever stance they take on the steroid age, particularly when that person has presented their opinion as well as this writer has here.
you and I agree on something. who'd of thunk? :lol:

I think the OP is upset because Juan Gonzalez was mentioned in the comments after the article. ;)

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Writers can be an interesting bunch. Even Ripken had those who refused to vote for him by either leaving their ballot blank in protest to the steroid era.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
This guys story Irked me too when I read it yesterday.

The Era is really the Era of the Home Gym, and the weights had more to do with the power numbers than the stuff they injected.

It wasnt against baseball's rules when these guys did this too.
Plus Steroids dont make the player, if it did then Pro Body Builders would dominate the sport.

And why are some of them still playing (ARod, etc.)?.... if it was so bad why arent they removed from the game completely?

Bottom Line.... They are all HOFers in my eyes, but then so is J.Jackson and Rose.

The HOF should be based on talent and performance on the field, not who is the most honest/church going/etc. If so, John Olerud or Dale Murphy should then be in the HOF and replace Cobb and Speaker....... who both bet on baseball while playing.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
fkw said:

The Era is really the Era of the Home Gym, and the weights had more to do with the power numbers than the stuff they injected.
Plus Steroids dont make the player, if it did then Pro Body Builders would dominate the sport.

And why are some of them still playing (ARod, etc.)?.... if it was so bad why arent they removed from the game completely?

Bottom Line.... They are all HOFers in my eyes, but then so is J.Jackson and Rose.

The HOF should be based on talent and performance on the field, not who is the most honest/church going/etc. If so, John Olerud or Dale Murphy should then be in the HOF and replace Cobb and Speaker....... who both bet on baseball while playing.
If you really believe this, then I feel sorry for you.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
fkw said:

Uh, I have to disagree

fkw said:
BINGO. Those who used after 2004 would be held out by me as a voter, but I ain't got a vote.

I think most of the guys (not all of them) from the steriod era did not take steriods to get bigger, they took them as a recovery aid. It is so physically draining to play baseball everyday and add in all the travel and sleeping in hotels, it just runs you down. If you go back to the 50s/60s/70s and there are stories of a great number of players using "greenies" and amphetamines as a way to get up for games and deal with fatigue. Now, whether it was right or wrong is another debate, but I think steriods became the greenies for a current generation.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
chashawk said:
fkw said:

If you really believe this, then I feel sorry for you.

??

Players are in better shape now physically than they ever have been. This is due to nutrition and training.
Steroids was never a tested for substance until recently.

Please dont feel sorry for me.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
fkw said:

Uh, I have to disagree

fkw said:
[b]It wasnt against baseball's rules when these guys did this too. [/b]
BINGO. Those who used after 2004 would be held out by me as a voter, but I ain't got a vote.

I usually stay out of steroid threads but it drives me absolutely nuts when someone says, "It wasn't against the rules, blah, blah, blah..."
YES, IT WAS!!!!! Steroids were illegal; hence they were against the rules. Whether you think steroids were wrong or if they should keep you out of the HOF is entirely up to you but for the love of Christ would everybody stop with the "not against the rules" crap because it just makes you sound stupid. No place in the baseball rule book does it say that murdering someone on the field is illegal or against the rules, but guess what, it is.

Once again, scream at the top of your lungs for or against the steroid users from that era because that is your prerogative but please don't hide behind a statement that simply isn't, wasn't, and never will be true.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
mozzie answer one question.

At any point in the 90's could anyone be suspended for using steroids?

Laws are seperate from rules. Did Lincecum break any baseball rule when he rolled up a fat one after the World Series. C'mon you have more common sense than that.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
fkw said:

Uh, I have to disagree

fkw said:

I usually stay out of steroid threads but it drives me absolutely nuts when someone says, "It wasn't against the rules, blah, blah, blah..."
YES, IT WAS!!!!! Steroids were illegal; hence they were against the rules. Whether you think steroids were wrong or if they should keep you out of the HOF is entirely up to you but for the love of Christ would everybody stop with the "not against the rules" crap because it just makes you sound stupid. No place in the baseball rule book does it say that murdering someone on the field is illegal or against the rules, but guess what, it is.

Once again, scream at the top of your lungs for or against the steroid users from that era because that is your prerogative but please don't hide behind a statement that simply isn't, wasn't, and never will be true.

Wait, is it against the rules to jaywalk during a game? Is it against the rules to posess child *********** during a game? ANYTHING that is against the law is against the rules?

First, much of what these guys took was NOT against the law at the time. Or maybe it was. I bet most of them didn't even know.

The point that those of us "hide behind" is that MLB didn't give a crap about drugs. In fact, they passively promoted them by doing jack shat. Some of us don't want to retroactively punish players for doing something that there was no punishment for at the time.

And I think murder would constitute interference. It should be fine to murder one's own teammate, from a rules standpoint.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Mozzie22 said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
fkw said:

Uh, I have to disagree

fkw said:

And Ruth played drunk in what area? Prohibition! drinking was illegal; hence they were against the rules. so he should be kicked out of the Hall CORRECT! he broke the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
nosterbor said:
Mozzie22 said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
fkw said:

Uh, I have to disagree

fkw said:

And Ruth played drunk in what area? Prohibition! drinking was illegal; hence they were against the rules. so he should be kicked out of the Hall CORRECT! he broke the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can stop screaming, as no one is making that argument or anything close to it, really.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
fkw said:

Uh, I have to disagree

fkw said:

Its been against baseball's rules since 1990. I believe it was 1989 when steroids became a controlled substance. Baseball's rules included controlled substances on their banned list as well as specifically...any steroids. Nice try but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
fkw said:

Uh, I have to disagree

fkw said:

Its been against baseball's rules since 1990. I believe it was 1989 when steroids became a controlled substance. Baseball's rules included controlled substances on their banned list as well as specifically...any steroids. Nice try but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Steroids in general? What is Andro classified as? What was it in 1998?

What did McGwire inject, exactly? I bet he doesn't even know. I know you don't.

Who's trying to get close, but not exact?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
jbhofmann said:
mozzie answer one question.

At any point in the 90's could anyone be suspended for using steroids?

Laws are seperate from rules. Did Lincecum break any baseball rule when he rolled up a fat one after the World Series. C'mon you have more common sense than that.

Theoretically yes. It just wasn't enforced. Much like the same reference I have used a million times before...9 times out of 10 driving 5 miles over the speed limit won't get you a ticket. But that tenth time that you actually do get one...its still your fault.

Members online

Latest posts