Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why are Jose Iglesias cards so hot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Someone educate me on him.

Im looking at his stats and they are very very, well, nothing.

Yes I know he was 20 (we assume, he is Cuban) in AA but honestly, what did he do?

His obp was low, his k's were high considering he didnt hit a hr the enitre year. He also rarely walked and isnt a speed demon. He is also small and batted .285 so I ask, is the only reason why his cards are selling "high" because of the uniform he wears?

Dont take this post as a knock, but if he was a Pirate, would his BC auto sell for $5?

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
He's the #1 prospect in the Red Sox organization. Period.

Perhaps now is the good time for me to sell some of his autos...

Thanks for bringing that up.

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
I'll toss another possibility out there. There are only 6 BC autos on ebay with only a few ended. Supply looks VERY low. Also, I'm 99% sure it's his only autograph. Couple all of this with him being Boston's #1 and I think you have your answer.

PS. Anyone interested in an orange ref bgs 9/10? ;)

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
His batting stats - while they may look like "nothing" actually are probably well above what most expected when they threw him right into AA.

More than anything the others are right - it's the market and the team he plays for. The fact Boston protected him in the Gonzalez deal and with all their moves, they didn't make a move that potentially blocks him helps - every indication is he'll have a chance to be the starting shortstop as soon as 2012.

Then as for the defense - that is usually filled with more hyperbole than you can imagine.....pretty much any story/report is going to list him as a "wizard" "plus plus defense" and any other description that makes him seem like the second-coming. So that is where the "hype" lies.

Though defense alone usually isn't a big seller.....Guess it's that along with the market and potential opportunity there that have created the current increase.

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
Considering he's now their #1 and some of the pub he's gotten over his defensive abilities, I'd say at the current prices it's still a solid buy. You know he'll get lots more hype down the road too. I've considered buying more but I've already maxed out my 'Jose Iglesias' budget for the year. Ha!

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
011873 said:
Someone educate me on him.

Im looking at his stats and they are very very, well, nothing.

Yes I know he was 20 (we assume, he is Cuban) in AA but honestly, what did he do?

His obp was low, his k's were high considering he didnt hit a hr the enitre year. He also rarely walked and isnt a speed demon. He is also small and batted .285 so I ask, is the only reason why his cards are selling "high" because of the uniform he wears?

Dont take this post as a knock, but if he was a Pirate, would his BC auto sell for $5?

What is he in AA for? Wow, Id imagine a top prospect such as him would get his drinking under control. (joke)

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Iglesias is a rich man's Ordonez and his ceiling is probably Omar Vizquel when Omar started to hit a little bit in the late 1990s.

brouthercard said:
cmnkb8 said:
Iglesias is basically Rey Ordonez...I don't get they hype either.

Dude, Iglesias is way better than Ordonez, he's at least Ricky Martin.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
He is the future ss of the Red Sox. He is there for hie defense and not his bat. I know that might seem crazy to some of you.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
It's very simple. He's the BEST SS prospect the Red Sox has ever had since a dude named Nomar. I mean, it's not even close...Lowrie and others are just not as gifted defensively and Iglesias can handle his own at the plate. No one is expecting him to hit 20 HR's but he is supposed to FINALLY stabilize a position that has haunted the Sox for years.

He's the real deal...look for him sometime in 2011.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
I cannot wait for him to make his Big League debut so I can go to Fenway with a huge sign that says:
"Jose Iglesias says: You can run, you can hide but you can't escape my glove!"

I have been waiting for a while now to bust that one out.

Members online

Latest posts