Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Derrek Lee is an Oriole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
chashawk said:
markakis8 said:
chashawk said:
my opinion of Derrek Lee is now much less.
why's that
because he probably could've gone to a better team for slightly less money, but instead signs an incentive laden deal with a (no offense) pathetic team.

rumor has it the padres offered him more money for one year, so there must be a reason behind his decision. im surprised you would let a one-year deal persuade you so significantly.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Uh, he left the Braves.

Joshua.Roundtree said:
chashawk said:
markakis8 said:
chashawk said:
my opinion of Derrek Lee is now much less.
why's that
because he probably could've gone to a better team for slightly less money, but instead signs an incentive laden deal with a (no offense) pathetic team.

Because the team he's leaving was so very good......

Cubs sucked this year

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
He was a FA so he hardly left anyone
Not sure why he would take less money for the Orioles
over Padres either way going nowhere

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
craiger122003 said:
He was a FA so he hardly left anyone
Not sure why he would take less money for the Orioles
over Padres either way going nowhere

Maybe he thought a switch to american league pitching might give him a boost offensively. Sometimes a switch is good.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Decent pick up for a team that needs veteran presence. Lee is beyond his prime but has a few good ABs left in him, this should work just fine.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
chashawk said:
It seems like the Padres offered him slightly more guaranteed, but the O's deal is more $$ if he reaches the incentives.
Wow it seems to be the norm that veteran players are leaving money on the table. First it was Lee, then Wood and now D. Lee.
And to think there are some players will be like Jermaine Dye last season and be looking for teams to sign them after spring training.

As for Lee not going to San Diego, Didn't the Padres what him at the trade deadline and he did not want to go there back in July/August. Plus he is re-united with Andy MacPhail. So I like this signing.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
I like this signing. Lee is a stand up guy and a great leader. Just what a young team needs. I wish him all the best

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Was hoping the Nats would get him. :(

I've really liked him as a player, even though he was a Cub for so long.