Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need help on these Cal Ripken Jr, Warren Sphan, Chile Davis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sep 11, 2009
I'll give a little back story and then the pictures. My grandma likes buying any 80's and 90's cards from garage sales (she likes sorting them). She bought a shoebox full of cards last week. She always gives me everything after she sorts the cards and gave me the box. Low and behold I found an envelope marked Liberties Practical Antiques and inside were these 3 index cards. My question is are these real autographs or are the fake? And if they are real around what time frame would they have been signed? The back for the Chile Davis has $1.00 marked on it and the other 2 have $3.00 each marked on them.
img0002yw.jpg

img0001xep.jpg

img0003sxs.jpg

Sep 11, 2009
K thanks. I don't collect any of these and they came in a box that was 50 cents so I didn't have high hopes.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
I think the Spahn and Chili Davis are likely good. Definitely '80's sigs. I'm not ruling out that the Ripken is good either. The CAL part looks really good (but is probably the easiest part to forge), the R and the k are definitely outliers (although I've seen some early PSA sigs with a similar k) but could be okay if this is an early auto. On second glance, It looks like there wasn't much force on the pen when signing since there are the skips in the R and the J. I don't hate it but don't really know.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Not an expert by any means, but I do think the Ripken looks similar to early signatures of his. This one is from eBay (albeit not certified either.) Obviously there are many areas that these are not similar, but I was hoping to illustrate the similarities in the "Cal" and I would assume they were signed in different years (assuming they are good.)

img0002yw.jpg

!Bzzifq!BGk~$(KGrHqV,!jUEw44LNq9gBM(r+RFd,w~~_12.jpg

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I will forward the sig to Cal's authentication expert for his thoughts.

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks for all the responses. It would be cool if it was real or could be as I don't have any signatures of any of the 3. Another thing to add is all 3 index cards show yellowing as does the envelope they came in.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Not an expert by any means, but I do think the Ripken looks similar to early signatures of his. This one is from eBay (albeit not certified either.) Obviously there are many areas that these are not similar, but I was hoping to illustrate the similarities in the "Cal" and I would assume they were signed in different years (assuming they are good.)

img0002yw.jpg

!Bzzifq!BGk~$(KGrHqV,!jUEw44LNq9gBM(r+RFd,w~~_12.jpg

Yeah, that Cal auto might even be prior to his rookie year I'm thinking. Sweet find dude, especially considering the price.

I'm calling legit. (At least on the Ripken. I have no history with the others.)

Sep 11, 2009
Snyper said:
Yeah, that Cal auto might even be prior to his rookie year I'm thinking. Sweet find dude, especially considering the price.

I'm calling legit. (At least on the Ripken. I have no history with the others.)
Wow really it could be that old. Should I consider sending it in to get authenticated and if yes, who? I like BGS' holders but everyone seems to like PSA. I would want to send it to the company the most knowledge on Ripken signatures.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Cal has an authentication service through his Ironclad Authentics. The top Ripken sig expert handles the authentication. Not only can he tell you why the sig is legit he can give the era and explain why. I will ask for his help and go from there.

Sep 11, 2009
RITM said:
Cal has an authentication service through his Ironclad Authentics. The top Ripken sig expert handles the authentication. Not only can he tell you why the sig is legit he can give the era and explain why. I will ask for his help and go from there.
Thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated. How much does it cost to get it authenticated?

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
to be honest I do not know. Should be on ironcladauthentics.com

Sep 11, 2009
RITM said:
to be honest I do not know. Should be on ironcladauthentics.com
K thanks. I'll look it up.
I found this picture on Photobucket (sorry if its someones pic).
The PSA/DNA one kinda looks like the index card I have.
img0002yw.jpg

rookies3.jpg

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Here is the info about having your Ripken authenticated:

http://www.ironcladauthentics.com/Ironc ... B003VK0AV0

Have a Cal Ripken Sr, Cal Ripken Jr. or Bill Ripken autograph that isn't authenticated? Send it in to Ironclad Authentics to have Authenticated! For just $20, per signature, you can have your item authenticated and sent back with an Ironclad Vintage Hologram. Once this order form is completed and submitted, please send your autographed item to: Ironclad Authentics Attn: Vintage 1427 Clarkview Road Suite 100 Baltimore, MD 21209 For questions please contact [email protected] or call 800-820-7923

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
I only collect Cal, and right away thought it looked like a very early signature of his. Surprised the Cal collector on page 1 missed it! Nice stuff bud.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts