Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Upper Deck Football (Prospects, Legends, and Pros)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
The first images (that I know of) for 2011 UD Football are up on facebook, and the set has an April release. The set will include cards of the prospects pre-draft! I can't wait to see the checklist to see if the Miami guys are on it. 50 regular cards to 200 rookies means that a lot of guys that won't make it into regular sets might appear here, so it will be the only chance at getting them.

I also love the 1991-style insert set. Those used to be some of my favorite college uniform rookies back in the day. Some of the other insert sets sound awesome as well.

164797_483422873950_61698633950_6246835_6276589_n.jpg
165161_483422858950_61698633950_6246834_8297599_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 1698633950
The best Football Rookie product on the market delivers the top 2011 Rookies before the Draft! Be the first to collect autographs from pro football’s future superstars with at least 3 Autographs in every box! With a deep checklist, including past and present football greats, 2011 Upper Deck Football is sure to announce the 2011 Rookie Class with a bang!

Regular Set:
Regular Cards (50)
Star Rookies (200)

Top Inserts:
Rookie Lettermen Signatures (Varied #)
Star Rookies Autographs (1:10)
Ultimate Collection Rookie Signatures (1:480)
1991 UD 20th Anniversary (1:2)
Star Rookies Stripe Redemptions

Break Summary: (on average)
Get three (3) Autographs in every box!
Including one (1) hard-signed Rookie Lettermen Signature Card!
Look for rare Ultimate Collection Rookie Signature Cards!
Ten (10) 1991 UD 20th Anniversary Inserts per box!
Collect the entire 200 card set!
One (1) Insert card per pack!

Chase:
Star Rookie Stripe Redemptions!
Pull one of these Rookie cards and redeem it for the specific number (printed on the card) of that player’s Rookie Card!

Key Subsets:
Conference Clashes - A dual player card pairing up 2 conference rivals
Class Of - Highlighting collegiate stars from recent years to decades past
Saturday In Action - Brilliant photography showcasing football stars ‘In Action’ on the gridiron
Historical Programs - Paying tribute to the top all-time college football programs
Dream Tandems - A dual player card featuring 2 superstars that would have made any offensive or defensive backfield a ‘dream’

Configuration:
6 cards per pack
20 packs per box

Product Arrival Date: April 12, 2011

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
About time.

They should be releasing at least a couple pre-draft products.

They should be using their license as an advantage.

Sometimes I wonder who runs this crapshow.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think they can put a quality product in 2011. It seems like things were kind of rushed this year since there wasn't much time in between the announcement of the loss of the NFL license, the NCAA exclusive license, and product release. 2010 was also a lot of dumping, with the sticker autographs and NFL jerseys used.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I'll be checking this out, for sure. I see they took a page from Wild Card with the Rookie Stripe chase cards. I kinda like that idea.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
At this point I can't give UD the benefit of the doubt that anything they release a sell-sheet for will even come out let alone be a quality product.

Pigskincardboard - that is a good point that they should be releasing stuff earlier and they don't seem to be taking advantage of the license.

I mentioned in another thread - they seem to be making the mistake of not really embracing the College License and simply trying to recreate NFL products with similar price points/configurations which doesn't seem to be working all that well.
Stuff like Press Pass works and can attract non-college collector's because - 1. It is usually one if if not the first release of the year. 2. The hit/price ratio in most of those products is attractive. Getting 5-6 on-card auto's (among the first available for the players) can offset the fact there is no NFL license to some.

People aren't just going to buy the stuff because it is UD (or at least the majority won't)
They need to do something like release SPA around the draft. Give a couple rookie patch auto's per box with a couple additional hits and unique-college themed inserts and they could find a market.
But that's just my .02.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I'm still mad they don't want to revisit Masterpieces. I appreciate them being up front about it not being that strong a brand for them, but in all honesty, would you rather open Sweet Spot or Masterpieces?

I think with the underwhelming response to a lot of Upper Deck's releases this year, Exquisite may have been a bad idea. Too high a price tag for NCAA cards that a lot of collectors are either still warming to, or have avoided altogether.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think a college Masterpieces would blow up, even if their NFL release wasn't a big money maker. Looking at the average NFL collector, how many of them really cared about guys like Red Grange and Y.A. Tittle being in the set? No offense to those guys, they're not just HOFers but are part of the reason we have the NFL we know today. But they're just not something that's going to sell a product.

Now if you put out a Masterpieces with Deion Sanders highstepping in his FSU gear, Doug Flutie's Hail Mary (HATE that play btw), Jerome Brown and the rest of Miami wearing army fatigues to the Fiesta Bowl, "The Play" with Stanford/California, etc., you're going to have college collectors creaming themselves. College collectors seem to respond better to tradition and old timers more than NFL collectors, and that's what Masterpieces showcases best.

Let's not forget some of the legendary coaches. If the set could include some former coaches like Bobby Bowden, Lou Holtz, Joe Paterno (not sure if they can license an active coach), Frank Kush, etc, think of how college collectors would be clamoring. There aren't many sets out there that feature coaches, and some of those coaches are larger than life in the eyes of a dedicated college fan.

If you put down two base cards of the same set, one being a Staubach Cowboys card and the other a Kosar Hurricanes card, I'd take the Kosar any day of the week.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
Your last post was well said - you should copy and paste it to the Upper Deck FB post I made yesterday. You and I are going to start something here, man. I can feel it.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Slette said:
Your last post was well said - you should copy and paste it to the Upper Deck FB post I made yesterday. You and I are going to start something here, man. I can feel it.
Thanks. I think I will move that along to UD's page. We can do this, Slette!

If there would be enough of a response and calling, they'd have to listen. UD's always been great about listening to and addressing their fans on facebook.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
That sounds like a winner to me CardMagnet - and as I said when this idea was first brought up, I'm someone that's usually not all that interested in college cards/sets.

I honestly don't know what UD is thinking....
There are tons of cool things you can do - a Heisman trophy winner autograph set.
Any number of cool alumni/rival pairings and multi-auto's.
The legendary coaches......or celebrating specific moments/bowl's as you mentioned for Masterpieces.
Something with Pride Stickers.
etc. etc.

...or I suppose i know what they are thinking - all those ideas most likely take some effort and additional money.
Much easier to create something like Sweet Spot with a design that already exists and 99% of the hits are cheaply attained rookie signatures and/or "game-used" jersey's that you haven't used and are lying around in your warehouse.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
rymflaherty said:
That sounds like a winner to me CardMagnet - and as I said when this idea was first brought up, I'm someone that's usually not all that interested in college cards/sets.

I honestly don't know what UD is thinking....
There are tons of cool things you can do - a Heisman trophy winner autograph set.
Any number of cool alumni/rival pairings and multi-auto's.
The legendary coaches......or celebrating specific moments/bowl's as you mentioned for Masterpieces.
Something with Pride Stickers.
etc. etc.

...or I suppose i know what they are thinking - all those ideas most likely take some effort and additional money.
Much easier to create something like Sweet Spot with a design that already exists and 99% of the hits are cheaply attained rookie signatures and/or "game-used" jersey's that you haven't used and are lying around in your warehouse.
That's something that's really going to hurt them if they continue to do it. It would turn my stomach to pull say a Reggie Wayne jersey card form one of their college products and see it have a blue swatch from a Colts jersey. I'd feel insulted that they would do that. If they used a white swatch from a Colts jersey, no problem. It's not college used, but it still matches fine since it's white. I think it was Peyton Manning that I saw from Sweet Spot with a blue swatch right below him in his Tennessee uniform. It was horrid.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
Slette said:
I'll be checking this out, for sure. I see they took a page from Wild Card with the Rookie Stripe chase cards. I kinda like that idea.

Same here, neat throwback idea.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I understand that college GU with pro jerseys suck, but NCAA game used stuff is incredibly difficult to find.

The only way to acquire college game used is from the player, or from the team (including team sponsored charity auctions). Players are allowed to keep their Bowl game jersey. That's it. They can 'lose' a regular season jersey but they'll get charged for it. And they can't sell them until after they graduate. Schools will occasionally hold charity auctions for game used stuff. But most of those are former game used jerseys, turned practice jerseys, then sold once they're no longer serviceable.

The NCAA will sell current GU to UD per their licensing agreement, but for older players...good luck

Latest posts