Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Got an Auto in the Mail, And a Great Story Behind It

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
For those of you that don't know, I collect cards of local natives and Chicago White Sox. In 2004, the Sox drafted Pete Vuckovich, Jr., who came out of the area and played for Clarion University. Unfortunately, his career was cut short due to injury.

I checked my email the other night, like any other night...except that I find an email with a very familiar name that I'd never expect: Pete Vuckovich, Jr!

Somebody noticed I mentioned his name on FCB and passed the link on to him. From there, he went onto my website and got my email address, and sent me an email letting me know I was correct that he had one baseball card made and thanking me for the kind words.

I asked if he would sign a baseball for me ttm since I haven't been able to obtain a copy of his card since I got back into serious card collecting.Even better, he offered to send me a copy of his card. Today, it came in the mail. I can knock off one of my most wanted cards for my "hometown collection", and it's not only autographed, but I got it right from the player himself!

Pete was very friendly and humble, and I can't thank him enough for the gesture. I've now got a great story to go along with this:

04-bristolwhitesox.png

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Congrats Mag! That is a great story and something you can share every time you show that card off. Very nice of the board member to pass the information on to him and an absolutely incredible gesture by Pete to get in contact with you and hook you up. Thanks for sharing!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks guys. I realize that it's not Babe Ruth sending me an autograph from beyond the grave, but it's definitely something with meaning to me :) .

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Whoa, very cool. Sounds like an awesome guy. Cool gesture and congrats on knocking off a big want from your wantlist.

Also, that P looks strikingly similar to Pete Rose's P.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Cool story CM!

But I didn't see the part where you mentioned that Clarion sucks at just about everything except wrestling. :lol:

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks guys.

BrewerSuperCollector said:
Ask him how come his dad doesn't sign autographs.
Believe me, I was tempted. Pete Sr. was one of the greatest pro athletes to come out of the area, so I've always wanted to pick up his auto. I should try to get an intern job with the Pirates and trick him into "signing for a package" :lol: .

gt2590 said:
Cool story CM!

But I didn't see the part where you mentioned that Clarion sucks at just about everything except wrestling. :lol:
Ouch, that's harsh :lol: . I've got my hands full with trash talking enough other teams that I'll be nice to the Division IIs in Pennsylvania.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Wow...that is a SUPER cool story and mailday!!! The fact alone that HE reached out to your site and had enough motivation to follow through contacting you and all is amazing!!!

Members online

Latest posts