Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Pen for OMLB Autos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Going to the Cardinals winter warmup these next couple days, been a while since I have had baseballs signed. Any advice on the best pen to use? Really hate getting a nice autograph and seeing it bleed away over the next couple years. Andy Pettitte signed a ball for me during a rain delay at Busch Stadium years ago, was my favorite IP auto ever received and now the black ink has a yellow outline around it and its starting to fade...completely crushed me to see it going like that.

Don't want to make the same mistake again, any advice?

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
notoriousrmb said:
Going to the Cardinals winter warmup these next couple days, been a while since I have had baseballs signed. Any advice on the best pen to use? Really hate getting a nice autograph and seeing it bleed away over the next couple years. Andy Pettite signed a ball for me during a rain delay at Busch Stadium years ago, was my favorite IP auto ever received and now the black ink has a yellow outline around it and its starting to fade...completely crushed me to see it going like that.

A regular Bic ballpoint pen is fine.Blue ink is preferrable.Your Pettitte sounds more like a cheap ball than a bad pen.Cheap baseballs will bleed and fade.I recommend using only OMLB's.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I always test pens before handing to them and for good stuff buy new . I take about 10 pens / markers when i get autos . last years pens stay home

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
What's the best pen for on card autos? I'm going to spring training and haven't gotten an on card, IP autograph in about 15 years. I'm looking to get Topps gold and black parallels signed so I'm thinking a black pen and possibly a gold pen for the black parallels.

Don't mean to change the subject on the OP but maybe a response or two be appreciated, don't want to start a new thread for something that can probably be answered in one response.

Thanks.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
padremurph said:
What's the best pen for on card autos? I'm going to spring training and haven't gotten an on card, IP autograph in about 15 years. I'm looking to get Topps gold and black parallels signed so I'm thinking a black pen and possibly a gold pen for the black parallels.

Don't mean to change the subject on the OP but maybe a response or two be appreciated, don't want to start a new thread for something that can probably be answered in one response.

Thanks.

Staedler lumicolor, gold pens will probably run a lot.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
hofmichael said:
notoriousrmb said:
Going to the Cardinals winter warmup these next couple days, been a while since I have had baseballs signed. Any advice on the best pen to use? Really hate getting a nice autograph and seeing it bleed away over the next couple years. Andy Pettite signed a ball for me during a rain delay at Busch Stadium years ago, was my favorite IP auto ever received and now the black ink has a yellow outline around it and its starting to fade...completely crushed me to see it going like that.

A regular Bic ballpoint pen is fine.Blue ink is preferrable.Your Pettitte sounds more like a cheap ball than a bad pen.Cheap baseballs will bleed and fade.I recommend using only OMLB's.

That's not necessarily true.I went to a show years ago and had an official ball signed in blue with the pens the athletes brought along and now the damn signature looks purple now.The balls I had signed with the blue pen I brought along still look fine today.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Gold/silver pens can be tricky. Sharpie makes gold/silver pens, but they seem to be good for surfaces like footballs or basketballs--not for glossy surfaces like cards. Some gold/silver paint pens look great, but they have to be primed first, and if they splooch--yuck! So much for that auto. I'm hoping to try a couple of the Wal-Mart Black cards at Twinsfest myself. We'll see how they turn out.

As far as ballpoints, there is good ink and cheap ink, just like OMLB baseballs and everything else. Bic is the best ink--Write Bros. made by Bic are pretty good, too--but there are cheaper pens that the ink is not as good and can turn purple over time. I haven't had any problems with balls signed in black ink--I have a few, though not signed by my choice; it's what the signer used--but the blue just looks nicer, I think.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Blue roller pens work on OMLBs too, but will need longer to dry.

And about gold pens, NEVER use on a Football, it will turn a greenish-bronze color eventually. But silvers look great!

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Firebirds11 said:
For cards... If it's glossy, rub baby powder on it... Then use blue sharpie.

I used to think this until I found out about the lumocolors. Those pens are amazing - no need for baby powder. Makes you realize why the card companies use them.

Members online

Latest posts