Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

jameson taillon... Good buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asw37

Mar 9, 2010
As a hardcore Pirate fan, and believer in the new coaching staff and improved farm system, i think this kid is going to be a superstar. Are his cards a good buy now, specifically his bowman chrome autos and refractor autos (all variations)? Any opinions appreciated!

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I think his AFLAC autos are a GREAT buy right now considering Harper is at $600+ and Sale is at $100+...$70 seems like a steal to me...

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
his cards are probably a good buy. I like him too. He played ball just about 2 hours North of where I live, so he was the talk of the town here for awhile.

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
I have 2 chromes, one ref and this one... me happy :D

014-4-1-1.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Well, unfortunately collecting him would break two of my Golden Rules.

1. No heavy investing in a Pitcher.

2. No heavy investing in a Pirate.

Sorry for the blunt and harsh honesty, and I know his prices are down lower than they "should" be, but they're two of the reasons why.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
gt2590 said:
Well, unfortunately collecting him would break two of my Golden Rules.

1. No heavy investing in a Pitcher.

2. No heavy investing in a Pirate.

Sorry for the blunt and harsh honesty, and I know his prices are down lower than they "should" be, but they're two of the reasons why.

I totally understand your points. I have an almost similar strategy (not investing in pitchers)...BUT it would not matter if he was a Pirate, Royal, Padre or whatever...if he DOMINATES the minors (like he's poised to do this season)...his cards will go crazy. I know it's a BIG IF but he seems to be one of those once in a while pitchers that has dominating stuff and the makeup to succeed.

With that said, I just have 2 AFLAC autos which I'm holding he dominates to sell them off! :)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Nightmares of the "Killed Bee's" have me running for cover when it come to Taillon.
Bradley
Burnett
John Van Benschoten
Bullington

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Bobby Bradley...haha. I think I have every single one of his 2000 cards
He was my first true prospecting "bust" and a great example of why not to chase high school pitchers with a curve that embarrass hitters. (Their arms aren't going to be attached very long.)

My two pitchers in 2000 were Bradley and Brett Myers...and both were dirt cheap. Myers made me forget about Bradley fairly easily.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
In my opinion, he is not a good buy right now.

Since he's coming right out of high school, he's years away from the majors. Because of this, collectors will forget about him, regardless of how well he does in the minors. I think that if you wait a year or so, once collectors start focusing on next year's draft class, you'll be able to get his cards for much better prices.

Of course, I've never really been a prospector, so I'm pretty much talking out of my bum here!

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
gmarutiak said:

Since he's coming right out of high school, he's years away from the majors. Because of this, collectors will forget about him, regardless of how well he does in the minors. I think that if you wait a year or so, once collectors start focusing on next year's draft class, you'll be able to get his cards for much better prices.

Of course, I've never really been a prospector, so I'm pretty much talking out of my bum here!

Just a tidbit for you...most prospecting $$$ is made when the player is still in the minors...not when they make the bigs.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Messier2 said:
gmarutiak said:

Just a tidbit for you...most prospecting $$$ is made when the player is still in the minors...not when they make the bigs.

Yup. Even if he's three years away, I'll sell out if he tears it up this year.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I'm a fan. Don't like that he's a Pirate but it shouldn't matter, at least while he's in the Minors. Excellent size, excellent stuff, and excellent makeup. That's a combination I'd want my top prospect to have.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Taillon is well ahead of his class as far as his stuff is concerned, he will dominate the minors.

Who cares if he is Pirate? That won't matter before he gets called up. I hear a lot of people saying to not invest in pitchers, and while I can understand the concern.. we all know that pitchers are coddled in the minors. It's usually not until they are tested for the long haul in the bigs that their durability can be in question (see Prior and Strasburg)

If all goes well, I'll be unloading before he even puts on a Pirates uniform.

Members online

Latest posts