Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Posey Chrome autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fonda1119

Apr 5, 2010
A friend and I were discussing this the other day...

With a WS ring and ROY award, how much room do Posey Chrome autos have to grow? His 08 9.5 chromes are a bit over $200 right now. Are they topped out? My friend seems to think there isn't much left for his prices to increase.

I always bring up Mauer to show an example of how young, hitting catchers can skyrocket. But then there's McCann whose raw chromes have a hard time getting more than $30.

Basically, the two questions I have are: 1) Can Posey Chromes still see increases? 2) If Posey Chromes are to increase what else does he have to do?

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
fonda1119 said:
A friend and I were discussing this the other day...

With a WS ring and ROY award, how much room do Posey Chrome autos have to grow? His 08 9.5 chromes are a bit over $200 right now. Are they topped out? My friend seems to think there isn't much left for his prices to increase.

I always bring up Mauer to show an example of how young, hitting catchers can skyrocket. But then there's McCann whose raw chromes have a hard time getting more than $30.

Basically, the two questions I have are: 1) Can Posey Chromes still see increases? 2) If Posey Chromes are to increase what else does he have to do?

Win an MVP, win a few more WS, and play catcher 15 years and be a 1st ballot HOFer.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
always room to grow imo. as long as he continues to perform at a high level, there should be demand.

now that SF has won for the the first time in a very long time, they SHOULD no longer be neglected on ESPN and the like.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
McCann is a solid, but not spectacular player, though I do agree his cards are fairly undervalued considering 5 consecutive AS game appearances and 4 silver sluggers. If he can maintain his performance he's a guy who may one day warrant serious HOF consideration.

As you point out though, Mauer provides the blueprint for what Posey needs to do. He needs to become a superstar in the way that a player like Mauer is, by contending for MVP awards and putting up very gaudy numbers. Behind the plate it is always tough and personally I'd put my money elsewhere (just think the expectations and risk are too high) but it certainly is possible.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
My guess is that Posey saw the best season of his career.

I would guess his cards are at an all time high as well...there may be little room for growth, but imho, it would be a bad ROI.

Jan 15, 2009
hofautos said:

I would guess his cards are at an all time high as well...there may be little room for growth, but imho, it would be a bad ROI.
Nice guess... ::facepalm::

fonda1119

Apr 5, 2010
Just for the record... I'm not looking to buy in right now. A little too expensive for my taste. I watched quite a few Giants games this year and from what I saw he is definitely a legit big league catcher (both offensively and defensively). I think he still has room to improve his game (especially his power numbers). But that doesn't necessarily mean his cards will see a spike.

From August to the present his 9.5s grew about $50-$75. I remember seeing them for ~$150 and now after a title and a ROY award the last one sold for what... $217? It's not the big spike I thought it would be.

If he has a scorching hot April I wonder what his stuff will sell for.

PoseyGem-1.jpg

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Sold off my Poseys last year with the exception of one chrome auto for my PC. Guys like this are the reason I sometimes keep an auto or so for myself. As nice as it is to buy in cheap and dump the whole collection for a profit, I also like having some of the bigger name prospect first autos for myself without having to buy in late at the high price. Then again...as I say this I glare at my remaining Gordon Beckham... :twisted:

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
GiantsSuperCollector said:
hofautos said:

I don't think hofautos' opinion is out of bounds although I don't think I would say that Posey had his career season. He is still young and his power numbers will pick up. And it couldn't hurt if the Giants get a bat behind Posey in the lineup to protect him. I do agree with hofautos that I don't see much more potential growth for Posey's BCD auto simply because it is already so highly valued. Strasburg anyone?

Having said all that, I hope he produces as an all-star for years to come. I won't be parting with this card from my collection.

08PoseyBowmanChromeDraftAuto.jpg

jake9494

Jun 8, 2009
hofautos said:

Hahaha he didnt even play a whole season man

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
jake9494 said:
hofautos said:

Hahaha he didnt even play a whole season man
From a hobby and attention perspective, hofautos could very easily be right. As a rookie behind the plate for a WS winning team, he got an insane amount of attention. Through in the torrid start to his career at the plate and it was a magical combination. Meanwhile though, his stats, while very solid, extrapolate over a full season to roughly .300/25/90. Very nice numbers, but not numbers that will command $100+ for a Bowman Chrome Auto a few years down the line. Now there is definitely a possibility that Posey builds on these numbers and becomes a true star, but the odds are against it (simply because so few players make that jump to the next level.)

Members online

Latest posts