Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Macklemore - "My Oh My" Dave Niehaus tribute

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I'm not sure if many of you are familiar with Macklemore, a Seattle rapper who wrote the song "My Oh My" after Dave Niehaus passed away. I'm not a fan of rap, by any stretch of the imagination. But for baseball fans from the 90's, or anyone that has ever heard Dave Niehaus call a game, this is pure beauty.

Not only have fans picked up on the love for this song/tribute, but so has Dave Hiehaus's family. A facebook group was started to get the Mariners to invite Macklemore to Safeco on Opening Day to perform the song and it looks like it has worked. The Mariners have approached Macklemore to perform at opening day this year and it should be an amazing moment for those who grew up with the voice of My Oh My.

A generic music video was made right after the death of Niehaus, but recently a full fledged music video has been produced. Tell me what you think.

[youtube:3k4pe3r6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNQWQSwmow[/youtube:3k4pe3r6]

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Can't say I'm a fan of the music either, but with that said its a really nice (and surprisingly moving) tribute. Well done

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
I posted this about two months ago when the MP3 originally came out. As a rap ran, I'm proud of Mack as I've watched him progressive over the past two years. Nonetheless, should be an amazing moment for him.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
tm decomposer said:
I posted this about two months ago when the MP3 originally came out. As a rap ran, I'm proud of Mack as I've watched him progressive over the past two years. Nonetheless, should be an amazing moment for him.

It will definitely be a cool moment if he does this before first pitch at opening day.

marhjan

Aug 2, 2010
I'd only really heard of Dave Niehaus in passing prior to this thread, but I think any baseball (sports really) fan can identify with a lot of the sentiment in this tribute. Knowing that Dave was there from the first pitch in 1977 and did basically every game since then means that several generations in the greater Seattle area can identify with 'his voice.'

Being a Yankees fan who was a Jr in college at the time, the 95 highlight is a little tough to take, but it's a great call, probably the M's greatest single moment also. I watched the video once this morning, checked out Niehaus and Macklemore (fairly obvious Mark McLemore reference I assume) on Wikipedia and just watched it again and have to say it actually brought a tear to my eye this time having a much better context for it all. Seems like the M's are making the right decision to have him at Opening Day as a tribute to Dave Niehaus 'the voice of the Mariners.'

OP is thanked.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Yeah for Seattle fans growing up in that era, I think it's hard not to identify and bring a tear to your eye.

Can't wait to see him at Safeco

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I say this as a huge hip hop head.It is nice to see an artist getting some shine for something other than a negative action.Great tribute.It should make for a great performance at Safeco.
Mike

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Just an update,

Macklemore will officially be performing right before first pitch with the Niehaus family on stage as the video is played on the video screen above.

Should be a great moment...

Niehaus's wife is throwing out the first pitch as well.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
that's awesome. not a fan of rap but like a previous poster said. quite emotional. as a huge seattle fan it's been tough, cried when griffey retired and now this. i'll be watching.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
michaelstepper said:
that's awesome. not a fan of rap but like a previous poster said. quite emotional. as a huge seattle fan it's been tough, cried when griffey retired and now this. i'll be watching.
wuss.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY

Sorry for bumping an old thread but has anyone heard his new album? I am absolutely blown away by it. The song Same Love least made me say wow. Very powerful song about a real touchy subject.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
For anyone that says they can't stand his music....

Macklemore is one of the most amazing and influential artists of this generation. It's about damn time he got his fame and respect. He's not only an image of change, but his lyrics/topics are so powerful to the current state of our society.

Don't agree? Buy the new album with Ryan Lewis (The Heist) and listen. One of the best albums of the year, maybe even the last 5 years.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
For anyone that says they can't stand his music....

Macklemore is one of the most amazing and influential artists of this generation. It's about damn time he got his fame and respect. He's not only an image of change, but his lyrics/topics are so powerful to the current state of our society.

Don't agree? Buy the new album with Ryan Lewis (The Heist) and listen. One of the best albums of the year, maybe even the last 5 years.

I completely agree. The song Starting Over is another incredible song. With Same Love, it took some big balls to go outside the box and support a cause that could alienate his entire fan base.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I completely agree. The song Starting Over is another incredible song. With Same Love, it took some big balls to go outside the box and support a cause that could alienate his entire fan base.

I should also add that with all the rappers out there with a bad image and message for today's youth, Macklemore is the complete opposite. Well spoken, thoughtful, smart, and really tuned in to the positive changes needed for a happy world. Pretty much the Jack Johnson of Hip-Hop.

I'm one of the biggest hip-hop heads out there, but Macklemore is an artist that gives me goosebumps when I listen. Pure music.

Members online

Latest posts