Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Most Ridiculous Topps Heritage Card Ever? Yes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Ben Johnson. The man. The myth. The legend.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... be01.shtml

Topps has chosen a few obscure players over the years to feature on Real One autograph cards, but Ben Johnson may take the cake. It's nothing personal. Ben just wasn't exactly a superstar. If Topps is looking for an almost identical player to include in 2060 Heritage when it releases 50 years from now, Armando Gabino matches up with Ben Johnson almost perfectly, assuming Gabino never throws another major league pitch.

Let's take a look at the Real One autograph.

2009ROABJ.jpg

Oh for goodness sake, they chose to reprint a card of a player whose FREAKING EYES ARE CLOSED ON HIS ONE AND ONLY BASEBALL CARD?

Let's not forget the elusive Red Ink Special Edition Real One.

2009ROABJR.jpg

The best part is, that I haven't even gotten to the reason for this post yet. Can there possibly be a more ridiculous card than a Red Ink auto /60 of a pitcher whose lifetime record is 2-1? The answer is yes.

For your viewing pleasure, I present, in my opinion, the most ridiculous Topps Heritage card ever created.

2009FBABJ.jpg

Yes, this is a Ben Johnson Flashback autograph, numbered 05/25, commemorating his one and only career save. Let's take a look at the back:

2009benjohnsonflashbackback.jpg

Yes, 50 years later we still marvel at the fact that on that fateful April day, Ben Johnson came in with two outs in the ninth and forced the mighty Jim Davenport to ground out, ending another chapter in the heated Cubs-Giants rivalry.

If nothing else, these cards should show what a great improvement the 2010 Heritage product was over the few years previous. I still love it, and it's what I collect, but I would rather have Albert Pujols and Hank Aaron cards than Brian Barton and Ben Johnson cards. Another interesting thing about this card is that it's the only Topps auto card I've ever seen from any set that says "Topps Authentic Autograph Issue" instead of "Topps Certified Autograph Issue."

So I guess I'll have to wait for Ben Johnson's first certified Flashback auto.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Honestly I'm a little impressed with Topps. I can't believe they know who Ben Johnson is. On top of that, instead of just using the same stuff they always do, they had to do some work on that only save card. They like, totally researched that thrilling moment in MLB history. And wrote an awesome story about it. Impressive....

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
RL24 said:
Honestly I'm a little impressed with Topps. I can't believe they know who Ben Johnson is. On top of that, instead of just using the same stuff they always do, they had to do some work on that only save card. They like, totally researched that thrilling moment in MLB history. And wrote an awesome story about it. Impressive....
/sarcasm

It's like pulling a 1/1 cut from sterling. . .

Of Bob Greenwood. . .

who's Bob Greenwood? Excatly.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... bo01.shtml

Career:
2 years, 12 games, 1-2, 3.92 ERA, 39IP

$(KGrHqIOKjoE0YnkdDQ2BNYFKSDrEQ~~_1.jpg

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
mudflap02 said:
Yes, 50 years later we still marvel at the fact that on that fateful April day, Ben Johnson came in with two outs in the ninth and forced the mighty Jim Davenport to ground out, ending another chapter in the heated Cubs-Giants rivalry.

Heyyyyy, don't be baggin' on Jim Davenport!!! :(
scan0001.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Baseballreference said:
Greenwood was the first player born in Mexico who played college baseball in the US

Better than nothing IMO...plus, he only pitched so little because he was in a car accident and that sent him to the minors for the follwing years with little success.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
His name was Benjamin Franklin Johnson, for christsakes. If you are going to mock such a patriotic sports hero, THE TALIBAN WINS!

ben_johnson_autograph.jpg
16 seasons spent toiling in the minors. Dude deserves a special card.

I actually like the obscure players Topps Heritage throws in each year. Chance for a certified auto of someone that doesn't have one. They're nice for team autograph collectors.

Ben Johnson may have had one awesome save, which I'm sure made him popular with the ladies, but on the Cubs there can only be one squinty-eyed Chick King!
king08TH.jpg

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
gracecollector said:
His name was Benjamin Franklin Johnson, for christsakes. If you are going to mock such a patriotic sports hero, THE TALIBAN WINS!

I actually like the obscure players Topps Heritage throws in each year. Chance for a certified auto of someone that doesn't have one. They're nice for team autograph collectors.

Ben Johnson may have had one awesome save, which I'm sure made him popular with the ladies, but on the Cubs there can only be one squinty-eyed Chick King!
king08TH.jpg

"Hey, baby. Wanna see my slider?"

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
gracecollector said:

king08TH.jpg

Well if you're that guy, it's only a matter of time before something comes along and turns your

2009ROADG.jpg

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
scotty21690 said:
Baseballreference said:
Greenwood was the first player born in Mexico who played college baseball in the US

Better than nothing IMO...plus, he only pitched so little because he was in a car accident and that sent him to the minors for the follwing years with little success.
LOL
Better than nothing?? In a $100+ pack? :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about any one of these sad 1/1 cut's....happy to get these??

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_ ... 283&_rdc=1

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
mudflap02 said:
gracecollector said:

king08TH.jpg

Well if you're that guy, it's only a matter of time before something comes along and turns your

2009ROADG.jpg

Not a chance of that happening. I polish it every day.

$(KGrHqMOKiUE0p6iuBIPBNZ)0uoGI!~~_12.jpg

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
gracecollector said:
mudflap02 said:
gracecollector said:

king08TH.jpg

2009ROADG.jpg

Yikes it sounds like you

2009ROAJH.jpg

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I gotta be honest, if I were to pull Greenwood from a $100+ pack of cards, yes I would be pissed... but these 1 hit, 1 save, 1 at bat guys are what I go for when I collect TTM to get a different perspective on the game...

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
mudflap02 said:
gracecollector said:
mudflap02 said:
gracecollector said:

king08TH.jpg

2009ROADG.jpg

Yikes it sounds like you

2009ROAJH.jpg

Only when my wife isn't in the mood to play

$(KGrHqMOKnIE1SlRlRT6BNZ)2GidBQ~~_12.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Ah, didn't see it was from Sterling....I thought it was from base Topps.

Anyone who spends $100+ for one pack of cards is a fool as it is. JMO

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Bravo mudflap and Brad!! Most entertaining thread I've read in a while.

Seriously though, I like the obscure autos as well. Like Brad said, gives cert autos of guys who'd never have one otherwise.

I think this is why a lot of people, myself included, want to see ATFF, Archives and Topps Originals come back.

Members online

Latest posts