Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Astros A to Z Autograph Project Milestone Reached!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Thanks to a member of the TCs, I have hit a major milestone. There have been 750 players to play at least one play for the Houston Astros. I now officially have 450 of their autographs.

I have picked up 100 autographs since my last milestone update about a year ago, so here are some highlights from the last 100 pickups:

LarsenDon.jpg
Don Larsen

KnightRay.jpg

RuhleVern.jpg

DurocherLeo.jpg
Leo Durocher

BelinskyBo.jpg

BellDerek.jpg

ClemensRoger.jpg

MathewsTJ.jpg
#450 TJ Mathews

And now for the two huge pickups in the last 100.

BerraYogi.jpg
Yogi Berra (doesn't count towards the official 450 count, but still awesome)

FoxNellie.jpg

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Very cool project. Impressive! I've been working on something similar for the Rangers but on a much smaller scale.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
matchpenalty said:
Very cool. What are some of the real tough living ones you have left. Any guys just don't sign anymore.

Top 10 Living Astros Wantlist :)

Jason Alfaro
Manuel Barrios
Jesus De La Rosa
Ramon De Los Santos
Jason Green
Al Javier
Bert Pena
Gordy Pladson
Jim Ray
Alex Taveras

These guys mostly have one of two things in common. They either no longer live in the US (Barrios, De La Rosa, De Los Santos) or they are bitter about baseball and don't want to sign anything (Alfaro, Green)

I don't begrudge those guys that don't want to sign, though. I'll get them eventually.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Scotty, that Fox is the centerpiece right now. It will only be knocked down to #2 when I find a Jay Dahl.

rookieaddict said:
Nice work! Where'd our team auto collector thread go?

LOL I think it is still around but nobody else was posting on it. I might necro it later.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Therion said:
Scotty, that Fox is the centerpiece right now. It will only be knocked down to #2 when I find a Jay Dahl.

rookieaddict said:
Nice work! Where'd our team auto collector thread go?

LOL I think it is still around but nobody else was posting on it. I might necro it later.

If I could afford to add any of the big names I need I'd resurrect it myself.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I love threads that show me something nice and teach me something as well, as I hadn't realized (or just didn't remember) that Berra was a bench coach for the Stros.

Very cool stuff and the Fox is definitely a centerpiece.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Therion said:
At least we know one exists, now one just has to surface for an affordable price...hopefully patience will reward you. :)

Have to say though, it's amazing that you have well over half of every Astro players signature!

EDIT: Are you only going after autos of players pictured in an Astros uni?

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Therion,

I have 60,000 signed index cards all PDA DNA ... Including tons of guys who played only a handful of games.

If you email me a list, I probably have some toughies I can sell you right.. Bg ([email protected])

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
scotty21690 said:
Therion said:
At least we know one exists, now one just has to surface for an affordable price...hopefully patience will reward you. :)

Have to say though, it's amazing that you have well over half of every Astro players signature!

EDIT: Are you only going after autos of players pictured in an Astros uni?

The rules for my collection are a bit convoluted LOL But the beauty of building a collection is that you can set your own rules.

So here you go:

To be included the player must be pictured in an Astros/Colt .45s uniform, pictured in a minor league uniform that has no obvious non-Astros affiliation (for example, the Iowa Cubs are too obviously associated with the Cubs), or must show no team affiliation of any kind (this rule applies to things such as index cards).

As for Jay Dahl. I wish I had $750 to drop on it but even if I did, I don't think I can justify it. He is probably the rarest signature in baseball but rarity doesn't always equate to value. He's definitely worth more than $100. I'd probably feel fine with dropping $200. But $750? Yikes.

Billy,
My nephew had a Manuel Barrios auto at one time. He signed his Minnesota Twins hat back in 94 when Barrios played for the Quad City River Bandits, I took him to game, my goal was to get my Billy Wagner cards signed at the time, which I did. I'll have to ask if he still has the hat somewhere :)

Never realized he only appeared in 5 ML games, I thought he was around longer than that.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Benson said:
Billy,
My nephew had a Manuel Barrios auto at one time. He signed his Minnesota Twins hat back in 94 when Barrios played for the Quad City River Bandits, I took him to game, my goal was to get my Billy Wagner cards signed at the time, which I did. I'll have to ask if he still has the hat somewhere :)

Never realized he only appeared in 5 ML games, I thought he was around longer than that.

Yeah, something about those guys that only play 3-10 games that makes them TOUGH. The 1 game guys are WAY easier usually :lol:

Members online

Latest posts