Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When You Evaluate A Prospect, Do You Use Advanced Metrics?

I USE

• FIP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LOB%

• OTHER

• NONE OF THE ABOVE

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm curious about this, because to a certain extent they can do more harm than good, but at the same time, you'd want to know that a prospect with a 5.12 ERA actually has a 3.54 FIP with only a 68% LOB rate and a .337 BABIP.

This just seems like something that people would want to know, but probably don't, so I'm curious as to how many people use the statistics available

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I voted none but I use them sparingly.

For hitters, I focus on doubles, HR, and OBP. For pitchers, I look first at K/BB ratio and then hits per inning and HR's allowed. Hits per inning needs more context but it can be a good start.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
I use the book I purchased from Barnes & Nobles. .."Prospecting Cardboard Gold" written by JP

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
AKA Coastal said:
I use the book I purchased from Barnes & Nobles. .."Prospecting Cardboard Gold" written by JP

They keep telling me the check's in the mail, but I'm starting to get the feeling I'm getting the brushoff.....

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
AKA Coastal said:

They keep telling me the check's in the mail, but I'm starting to get the feeling I'm getting the brushoff.....

it's probably because Cameron Maybin is on the cover...

i had to..lol

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Hitters, I look at OPB. Walks/K's and age /vs league.

Pitchers age/vs league. Hits given up per inning and Walks/K's

Plus, I factor in the league and ballparks a bit when evaluating. Midwest league(Tough hitters league vs Cal League(Hitters dream league)

Yankees1218

Jan 1, 2010
I use these:

Hitters- Doubles (Most of the time 2B turn into HR depending on league and stadium), HR's, BB's, K's, OPS and SB's

Pitchers- ERA, IP, K's, BB's...

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I thought more people would use stuff like FIP and BABIP --

I mean, you guys use it to do your fantasy drafts, aye? but not for prospects?

There are definitely more important statistics to look at, but I don't think I'd brush these off.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I try to see video, or if I can, see them in person. I like to see what thier boy looks like and what natural ability they have ie, how the ball comes out of there hand, bat speed, length of swing etc.

bozemanbreaker

Mar 20, 2009
Salina, KS
You really don't need to put that much into it. Honestly, if you buy in early enough into ANY of the top draft picks, you can turn a profit at some point, unless the guy commits murder.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
bozemanbreaker said:
You really don't need to put that much into it. Honestly, if you buy in early enough into ANY of the top draft picks, you can turn a profit at some point, unless the guy commits murder.

Yah, I know that. I honestly don't prospect that much, but I'm just surprised that there isn't more FIP/BABIP discussion

I talk about that stuff constantly on fantasy baseball sites, but not here where people invest thousands in cards.

Members online

Latest posts