Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most "Popular" Baseball Card Player collected, Modern Era

Most "Popular" Baseball Card Player collected, Modern Era

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
No Jeter or Ripken? If I have to choose from those 6 only I'd have to go with Junior. But I think Jeter and Ripken are up there too.

Edit: LOL I didn't read "Jesus" Jeter. :lol:

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
You are missing at least three players that have absolutely insane followings: Ripken, Dale Murphy, and Don Mattingly.

I would put Don Mattingly as high as anyone post 1981 and that includes Griffey. He has an unbelievable following and has had one since 1984/85.

braves2008champs

Aug 7, 2008
Sweet topic, Eric. I kind of agree that there are more players to add, or an 'other' box

Nomo, Matiingly, Murphy, Ripken, Clemens, Bonds come to mind. Although I think it's Junior, hands down

SeattlefantillIdie

Oct 2, 2008
KENMORE, WASHINGTON
It is Junior, if you think of every other player you can find a few hard core collectors and a few casual collectors. I know The Big Hurt has a decent following and I'm sure Mattingly has some hard core collectors, but EVERYONE and their mother and dog is after Junior. Everyone says "there is a recession" yet I have bid on cards that STILL amass amazing prices. And now that he's hit the beloved 600 HR I have cards in MY collection that I paid $.99 that are catching $2-$5. And there is still that mystique surrounding his 1989 Upper Deck RC that no other players card will ever accomplish of the modern era. Again, I know that The Big Hurt's 1990 Leaf is a pretty big deal, but what Jeter or Mattingly or even Ripken RC can really compare? AND it doesn't hurt when you have 20,000!!!!! cards to work against, something I'm 99% sure no other player has!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I agree with you on Griffey, he is #1. That being said, Mattingly's 1984 Donruss card is on the all time first ballot HOF for baseball cards. I'm sure many on this board aren't old enough to remember, but from 1984-1988 this card was absolute magma, and it still sells heavy to this day.
If anyone needs proof of this you need look no further than any thread ever started about important cards to see someone instantly bring this card up.

I'm sure anyone over 30 will back me on this.

I would say that, along with the Griffey Jr UD, these are the only two modern era cards that go down as top 5 all time cards (any era).

SeattlefantillIdie said:
It is Junior, if you think of every other player you can find a few hard core collectors and a few casual collectors. I know The Big Hurt has a decent following and I'm sure Mattingly has some hard core collectors, but EVERYONE and their mother and dog is after Junior. Everyone says "there is a recession" yet I have bid on cards that STILL amass amazing prices. And now that he's hit the beloved 600 HR I have cards in MY collection that I paid $.99 that are catching $2-$5. And there is still that mystique surrounding his 1989 Upper Deck RC that no other players card will ever accomplish of the modern era. Again, I know that The Big Hurt's 1990 Leaf is a pretty big deal, but what Jeter or Mattingly or even Ripken RC can really compare? AND it doesn't hurt when you have 20,000!!!!! cards to work against, something I'm 99% sure no other player has!

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I voted Griffey, but I must say that the person who's probably #2 isn't even in the poll, Cal Ripken Jr.. He was popular already, then he helped save the game and has been an icon in the hobby and sports world since. Unlike McGwire and Sosa, the other two responsible for saving the game, Ripken has no negativity tied to him.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
griffey easily, with ripken a close second.
after that, i'd say probably jeter and arod

Members online

Latest posts