Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matsui Auto "Rediscovered"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Today I stumbled across an interesting piece that I thought I had lost during one of my multiple moves. Turns out I had stashed with my Olerud flats. Anyways, I thought I'd share the story.

My mom is Japanese and a few years ago we were in Japan for New Year's when 2003 became 2004. One evening we were sitting around a table talking (with my mom as my translator) and the topic of baseball came up as Hideki Matsui had just finished his first season with the Yankees. I was asked what I thought of him, and if I thought he was better than Ichiro (I said then and I still say now that Ichiro is by far a better all-round player).

My aunt is a book-keeper for a seafood import/export company in Japan, and one of her accounts is a restaurant that apparently the Yomiuri Giants frequented a lot. She was speaking in Japanese to my mom and using the English word "sign" a lot, which I later learned was kind of Japanese slang for "autograph". Apparently the owner of the restaurant frequently received Giants memorabilia as gifts from the team, and he often passed stuff along to others (like book-keepers) associated with his restaurant. She then left the room and came back with this piece, which she gave to me:

[center:2fqaubox]IMG_3789.jpg[/center:2fqaubox]

It measures 9.5 by 10.75 and is about as thick as a typical relic baseball card. There's nothing on it to indicate when or where it was signed. I think it'll look really nice if I eventually get it framed for my future mancave.

A nice piece that links my love of baseball and my cultural background! :)

- Rod

Members online

Latest posts