Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do people end higher end ebay auctions early?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I understand settling for a price off-line to avoid ebay fees, but how do you know that price is high enough?

Why end an auction with five days to go, perhaps the highest bidders were going to wait till the last minutes to bid anyways, why not give them a shot, rather than selling too low too early?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
brouthercard said:
I understand settling for a price off-line to avoid ebay fees, but how do you know that price is high enough?

Why end an auction with five days to go, perhaps the highest bidders were going to wait till the last minutes to bid anyways, why not give them a shot, rather than selling too low too early?

If I had a card listed that went for $100 in the past week, and I got an offer mid auction for $125 off ebay, you can bet most would take it

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
brouthercard said:

1. Some people like to bid and not pay at the end.
2. Some people feel like they are getting a great offer from the buyer.
3. There is no way to tell how many buyers will be bidding.
4. There is no way of telling how high, or low, a high end card will go at auction
5. Some people need the money sooner than later and are OK leaving some on the table.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
mredsox89 said:
brouthercard said:

If I had a card listed that went for $100 in the past week, and I got an offer mid auction for $125 off ebay, you can bet most would take it

What if the card hasn't closed recently, rarely comes up on ebay, and there is no good track record for the card?

I guess the seller can do what he wants with the card, but i'm sure many are leaving hundreds of dollars on the table.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
brouthercard said:
mredsox89 said:
brouthercard said:

What if the card hasn't closed recently, rarely comes up on ebay, and there is no good track record for the card?

I guess the seller can do what he wants with the card, but i'm sure many are leaving hundreds of dollars on the table.

Obviously a bit different. I have a price in mind when I list a card that I expect, based on multiple things. If I get an offer for that, I take it. I rarely even auction things anymore. I'd say 9/10 times either the BIN gets hit or I get an offer over recent auctions/my estimate

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i have done only once, crazy set collector offered me more than 4 times what the card was selling for. and paid for overnite shipping.

danimal

Dec 28, 2009
The reason is very simple economics, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
brouthercard said:

Technically ending an auction early is the same as suddenly making the auction a BIN (w/o paying all the fees). I agree with sellers not knowing whether the price is high enough with the rarest cards.

Aside from saving fees, the seller may also need the $ ASAP.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Thanks, guys, makes sense to me.

Just frustrating from the buyer's perspective. I guess you are almost obliged to make an offer rather than wait for the auction to go complete, otherwise you risk losing the card, especially if you want it badly enough.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
brouthercard said:

Just frustrating from the buyer's perspective. I guess you are almost obliged to make an offer rather than wait for the auction to go complete, otherwise you risk losing the card, especially if you want it badly enough.

If it is something rare, I usually at least send a message asking them to lmk if they plan on ending it early and at least give me a chance to beat it

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
mredsox89 said:
If it is something rare, I usually at least send a message asking them to lmk if they plan on ending it early and at least give me a chance to beat it
Or if it's something rare, something I need and want, I'll send the message trying to snag it before someone else does the same thing. I've missed too many PC cards that way, so you gotta play the games.

Just happened in the past 2 weeks. ;) ;)

1998UpperDeckRetroQuantumLeap50-50.jpg

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
mredsox89 said:
brouthercard said:

Russ S. said:
mredsox89 said:
Or if it's something rare, something I need and want, I'll send the message trying to snag it before someone else does the same thing. I've missed too many PC cards that way, so you gotta play the games.

Just happened in the past 2 weeks. ;) ;)

1998UpperDeckRetroQuantumLeap50-50.jpg
have had to do this too. gotten things cheaper than the auction would've gone this way too. :cool:

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
chashawk said:
have had to do this too. gotten things cheaper than the auction would've gone this way too. :cool:
Absolutely.
It's the ONLY reason I was able to land the Ripken Red Crusade as well.
(Which is en-route to BGS with his brothers :) )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts