Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I believe sellers are costing themselves money ending early

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
There have been recent Gerrit Cole BC Auto auctions where I believe sellers have most likely left money on the table by ending early unless they got a significant premium over what the cards had been selling for. Here are two examples

BGS9.5
[ebay:346bbrf8] 150577665304[/ebay:346bbrf8]

Raw
[ebay:346bbrf8]360351679582[/ebay:346bbrf8]

I had snipes well above what these have gone for in the past and although I don't expect for them to go that high, I was going to let the market/other bidders determine the price. I have every intention of winning the vast majority, if not all of the G. Cole BC Autos that are sold off via regular auction.

I can't help but think that they didn't sell it for as much as they would've gotten for it letting the auctions run. In the case of the 9.5, I know it would've broken $575 by speaking to another Cole buyer and what our snipes were set at.

It does leave a bad taste in my mouth though when sellers end early and sell off of Ebay on auction style listings, often I won't bid on their auctions again even if they have something I really want. Anyone else feel this way?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I use snipes, but this is part of the problem with them. Sellers don't know if their item will get a fair price because all the bids either come in at the last moment or don't, so they end early to cover themselves in case the bids don't come in for some reason.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
My opinion is that sellers are sick of letting ebay take so much from them. And with more fee increases recently announced, I know I'm not the only seller who gets a thrill out of ending cards early. Honestly, I wouldn't mind leaving some money on the table to stick the middle finger to ebay but definitely not the amount these sellers appear to have left. And if anything I need for my pc gets listed, especially if I've waited years for it, I'll always ask the seller to end early to me or let it run.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Buynhisellnlow said:
There have been recent Gerrit Cole BC Auto auctions where I believe sellers have most likely left money on the table by ending early unless they got a significant premium over what the cards had been selling for. Here are two examples

BGS9.5
[ebay:2nzarivx] 150577665304[/ebay:2nzarivx]

Raw
[ebay:2nzarivx]360351679582[/ebay:2nzarivx]

I had snipes well above what these have gone for in the past and although I don't expect for them to go that high, I was going to let the market/other bidders determine the price. I have every intention of winning the vast majority, if not all of the G. Cole BC Autos that are sold off via regular auction.

I can't help but think that they didn't sell it for as much as they would've gotten for it letting the auctions run. In the case of the 9.5, I know it would've broken $575 by speaking to another Cole buyer and what our snipes were set at.

It does leave a bad taste in my mouth though when sellers end early and sell off of Ebay on auction style listings, often I won't bid on their auctions again even if they have something I really want. Anyone else feel this way?

I was buying Cole, and still am buying a few of his cards now-but $575 for that BGS 9.5 wrapper redemption auto is just silly.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
Start asking sellers if they would be interested in ending early.
If they are, try to get it.
If they won't end early, rest easy and snipe.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
Buynhisellnlow said:

BGS9.5
[ebay:3i7z4a11] 150577665304[/ebay:3i7z4a11]

Raw
[ebay:3i7z4a11]360351679582[/ebay:3i7z4a11]

i agree with out on this one.

on another note, i just noticed your user name and believe you bought a chisenhall blue ref and xfractor from me. it thats you, the cards shipped out this morning.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
Really it is a nice strategy....on whoever is buying these(Cole Chrome Autos)! They are bout to EXPLODE! :lol: Too bad it is not me :(

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
I forgot to respond to the thread, LOL...yea whoever is selling and ending these early is most likely leaving money on the table(depending on what they are paying)....these are a hot comodity and with very few in production(and considering it is a redemption and the full print run will most certainly not make it into circulation) these are going to see a MONSTER spike in the next few weeks! Cole is on FIRE right now, and will be leading into the draft. I am going go out a limb and to say these will be #1 on next week hotlist if we can see what the next one sells for(online) on ebay!

Buynhisellnlow said:

BGS9.5
[ebay:qqubvyl6] 150577665304[/ebay:qqubvyl6]

Raw
[ebay:qqubvyl6]360351679582[/ebay:qqubvyl6]

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009

This is the dumbest comment I have ever read. I understand it might leave a bad taste in your mouth, but the fact you won't bid on their auctions ever again makes no sense. The Cole stuff you linked all were ended with no bids on the .99 opening price. It's not like the seller ended on the last day when plenty of bids were already commited.

Also, who is to say the guy didn't end early to accept a deal for $575 on the Cole BGS 9.5 with no fees.

I personally have bought and sold a lot of items that were listed on Ebay outisde of Ebay recently. If the buyer and seller can agree it is a smart business move for both.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
i ask sellers all the time to end auctions,and make them an offer. i have success only about 20% of the time. 80% say they do not end auctions early! then i snipe for what i offered them. 90% of the those wins i get the card for much much less then the offer i give them. here is a very good case in point. this auction i offered the seller $10 shipped. he said ok but never responded with his paypal address. GOOD FOR ME.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
bear0555 said:
My opinion is that sellers are sick of letting ebay take so much from them. And with more fee increases recently announced, I know I'm not the only seller who gets a thrill out of ending cards early. Honestly, I wouldn't mind leaving some money on the table to stick the middle finger to ebay but definitely not the amount these sellers appear to have left. And if anything I need for my pc gets listed, especially if I've waited years for it, I'll always ask the seller to end early to me or let it run.

Well said, couldn't have said it any better.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
Crewfan82 said:

This is the dumbest comment I have ever read. I understand it might leave a bad taste in your mouth, but the fact you won't bid on their auctions ever again makes no sense. The Cole stuff you linked all were ended with no bids on the .99 opening price. It's not like the seller ended on the last day when plenty of bids were already commited.

Also, who is to say the guy didn't end early to accept a deal for $575 on the Cole BGS 9.5 with no fees.

I personally have bought and sold a lot of items that were listed on Ebay outisde of Ebay recently. If the buyer and seller can agree it is a smart business move for both.

There were bids, myself and others had bid on both of them. What do you believe is the difference between when the auction is ended and the correlation to whether that is ethical behavior on the seller's part? You saying "It's not like the seller ended on the last day when plenty of bids were already committed", seems to indicate you don't believe that would be right but that ending it sooner may be? What is the distinction and at what point is that line crossed from "ok" to "not ok"?

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Buynhisellnlow said:
Crewfan82 said:

There were bids, myself and others had bid on both of them. What do you believe is the difference between when the auction is ended and the correlation to whether that is ethical behavior on the seller's part? You saying "It's not like the seller ended on the last day when plenty of bids were already committed", seems to indicate you don't believe that would be right but that ending it sooner may be? What is the distinction and at what point is that line crossed from "ok" to "not ok"?

I think if you have no action on an item and it is ended 2 days from auction end that is okay. You can't blame a seller if they are endng auctions early. Does it suckasa buyer, absolutely, but that is the risk we take by sniping.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Buynhisellnlow said:

Buyers who plan and budget their purchases ahead of time should be upset at this.

The money that a buyer was planning to use for the auction that wound up being canceled could have been used to place a higher bid for an older auction the bidder wound up losing.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
uniquebaseballcards said:
Buynhisellnlow said:

Buyers who plan and budget their purchases ahead of time should be upset at this.

The money that a buyer was planning to use for the auction that wound up being canceled could have been used to place a higher bid for an older auction the bidder wound up losing.
Why? if you snipe a card for $20 and the auction is ended early. why would you be upset? how do you know what the card sold for? i have ran into this with Juan collectrors. they ask " ok who bought the card? " i say i did! then i tell the complainer i know for a fact that they would NEVER pay what i did for the card anyway! soooo whats the big deal. i am the type of person that when i want something i want it NOW! have you ever went to buy something and were told it is not in stock? we will have one in 6 days. i say see ya! go to the next store and get one. i do not like to wait for anything when i know it is out there. and for anyone who gets a seller to end an auction early, KUDOS to them.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
nosterbor said:
Buynhisellnlow said:

Why? if you snipe a card for $20 and the auction is ended early. why would you be upset? how do you know what the card sold for? i have ran into this with Juan collectrors. they ask " ok who bought the card? " i say i did! then i tell the complainer i know for a fact that they would NEVER pay what i did for the card anyway! soooo whats the big deal. i am the type of person that when i want something i want it NOW! have you ever went to buy something and were told it is not in stock? we will have one in 6 days. i say see ya! go to the next store and get one. i do not like to wait for anything when i know it is out there. and for anyone who gets a seller to end an auction early, KUDOS to them.

Your point of view requires one to assume the person missing out to always assume they were going to lose the auction to begin with.

If someone had this point of view going in they'd never be upset about anything, there'd be no reason to bid at auction and there'd be no need for this discussion!

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
nosterbor said:
Buynhisellnlow said:

Your point of view requires one to assume they were always going to lose the auction to begin with.

If someone had this point of view going in they'd never be upset about anything, there'd be no reason to bid at auction and there'd be no need for this discussion!
if you would assume that ONE would win an auction for what ONE's snipe is at, then ONE should offer the seller that $'s .what does ONE have to loose? if he states he does not end auctions early,then fine. that would take ONE's assumption out of it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
nosterbor said:
if you would assume that ONE would win an auction for what ONE's snipe is at, then ONE should offer the seller that $'s .what does ONE have to loose? if he states he does not end auctions early,then fine. that would take ONE's assumption out of it.

Sure - but while people's snipes can be thought as being the most they'd be willing to pay for a card it doesn't necessarily mean they'd be willing to be the ONLY person paying that much for a card. Although you apparently don't mind overpaying for a card which is fine, most other people *do* mind overpaying for a card.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
nosterbor said:

Sure - but while people's snipes can be thought as being the most they'd be willing to pay for a card it doesn't necessarily mean they'd be willing to be the ONLY person paying that much for a card. Although you apparently don't mind overpaying for a card which is fine, most other people *do* mind overpaying for a card.
" Sure - but while people's snipes can be thought as being the most they'd be willing to pay for a card it doesn't necessarily mean they'd be willing to be the ONLY person paying that much for a card. "
icon_e_confused.gif

that is one of the best oxymoron's i have ever read.

Members online

Latest posts