Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fantasy Baseball Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
So I was pretty happy with my team after the draft a few weeks ago, but injuries are already limiting my pitching.. Here is a look at my team:

C - Joe Mauer
1B - Adam Dunn
2B - Neil Walker
3B - Danny Valencia
SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Josh Hamilton
OF - B.J. Upton
OF - Vladimir Guerrero

Bench

OF - Juan Pierre
OF - Brett Gardner
OF - Raul Ibanez
2B/SS - Tsuyoshi Nishioka

SP - Zack Greinke (DL)
SP - Francisco Liriano
RP - Andrew Bailey (DL)
RP - Brad Lidge (DL)
P - Jonathan Papelbon
P - Chris Sale
P - Matt Capps
P - Edinson Volquez
P - Max Scherzer
P - John Danks
P - Carl Pavano

As you can see I have several Outfielders, and my Closer role is really hurt by injuries. I moved Greinke to the DL so I have one open roster spot and would like to use it on someone who can fill in and get me some saves. Here is a list of possibilities, just would like any info on who anybody think would be the best choice:

Evan Meek (PIT)
Jon Rauch (TOR)
Ryan Madson (PHI)
Jose Contreras (PHI)
Grant Balfour (OAK)

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Anyone else available? Bedard or Pineda?

You're not in bad shape as Scherzer is a stud and Danks is good as well.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Oh I didn't even see that. Did they just add it? Also Fuentes, Bedard, and Pineda are all gone. The two that I am leaning towards are either Contreras or Balfour. Contreras I heard has the edge over Madson for the closer role while Lidge is out, and Balfour they said might split chances with Fuentes. The others I'm not too sure about.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
What about Meek? Hes most likely to take over should Hanrahan falter. I have a question for you guys. Would any of you guys trade Lincecum for Cano?

That leaves me with the following starting pitching staff.

Gallardo
Scherzer
Volquez
Matusz
Westbrook
Leake

I also have Utley at second. I figured I could move him at a later time.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Saves are overrated. If I were you I would just get a money RP that is going to get your K's and have a low WHIP and ERA. Is Kuo from the Dodgers still available? I wouldn't be surprised if he is closing out games for them in a month or two anyway.

Aug 29, 2008
Crewfan82 said:
Saves are overrated. If I were you I would just get a money RP that is going to get your K's and have a low WHIP and ERA. Is Kuo from the Dodgers still available? I wouldn't be surprised if he is closing out games for them in a month or two anyway.

I don't mind this way of thinking. A lot of 8th inning guys like Bard, Gregerson, or Mike Adams are probably available and underrated. You might get a garbage W or S from them and they will probably have a pretty high K rate with low ERAs and WHIP. If you need saves I'd probably grab either Contreras or Madson, whoever is given the job. I think that would be your best bet for some quick Saves.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Yeah I think I am leaning towards Contreras/Madson. It isn't really a long-term thing because once Greinke is back I will have to drop a player anyway. Just to help me out until Lidge/Bailey are back. Other than them my only real closer is Papelbon.

biggreen15

Aug 7, 2008
my advice - drop all of your field players on the bench and pick up starting pitchers. Bench utility players never help your team because they don't play, while as starting pitchers on the bench you can play when they have a start. It allows you to keep more relievers so you get more saves and can help lower ERA and WHIP and then you get way more starts per week to get many more K's and W's. It could hurt ERA and WHIP but not that much because some will pitch well too. Overall the benefit far outweighs the detriment to your team.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
I have thought about that too. I have 2 utility spots that I will likely be using Pierre and Gardner for my SBs. Ibanez is someone that I know I can drop, but I'm not 100% confident in Walker or Nishioka yet, so I was going to wait a few weeks into the season to see who I would want to roll with from there.

Members online

Latest posts