Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball Cards > 3DTV ?

What should I have done?

• You should have gotten the 3DTV instead. Avatar is awesome!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Well I had saved up some funds for a 50" Panasonic 3DTV on sale for $1850 delivered, but those I talked to all told me that "3D is just a fad", "you'll get a headache", or "it'll be cheaper next year." I actually went to Best Buy and had one in hand, when I ran out of the store in a panic and headed home to eBay instead.

First, I picked up a couple of 1/1s I figured I wouldn't have another chance at soon. A Willie Mays patch-bat and a Duke Snider button. I always wanted the "SAY HEY" Mays /50, because I think "The Say Hey Kid" is one of the best nicknames of the era, so when the 1/1 patch version showed up I just couldn't resist. As for the Snider, I had always been a fan of The Duke, whom I had the great pleasure of meeting at the Hall of Fame, and was eager to add a button to my collection. I was rather surprised this wasn't listed following his recent death.

Mays-2005PrimeCuts.jpg

Snider-2005AbsoluteMemorabilia.jpg

Now those two cards took about 1/3rd of my TV fund, still leaving me with a huge war chest to spend. I decided I wanted to go vintage and when I saw this rare N300 Ed Delahanty listed with an auction house, I rolled up my sleeves and got the job done. For those of you unaware, Delahanty was arguable the best player of the 1890s. He hit over .400 several times, led the league at one point in almost every offensve category. Unfortunately, like most players of that era he was rowdy and in 1903 got thrown off a train for threataning passengers while drunk. He tried to walk along the tracks, but when he came to the International Bridge he fell off and was swept over Niagara Falls and drowned. It would be the equivalent of Albert Pujols falling into the Grand Canyon this year. It's very difficult to add any Delahanty card to a vintage collection.

Delahanty-1895MayosCutPlugN300.jpg

Well, did I make the right choice?

G

The first 2 are nice, but not into vintage at all, so I would have gone with the 3DTV by a longshot

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Not to be cliche, but if you're happy with them, thats all that matters. I've seen 3DTV and its cool, but overpriced like all new technology.

The Delahanty is cool and an even cooler story I wasn't aware of. LOVE that Duke button. Not sure if you overpaid, but if you got cool stuff and you're happy, you did damn good!

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I'm not into the 3D thing. It will only get better and cheaper. A nice 1080p HDTV is nice though. I absolutely love my 55" Love the pickups. Very nice vintage. Hard to lose money in the long run on pre war

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
The price on 3DTV's is gonna come way down in the next couple years. Remember how much HDTV's were when they first came out? I bought into the hype of a HDTV years ago when they first came out. I paid close to $2000 for a 43" HDTV. Within 1 year the same TV could be had for $800 at the time.

If you are happy with the cards you made a good choice then.

james5348

Feb 2, 2009
cards all the way. i did want a 3d tv. but i found a 55 inch vizio hdtv lcd on amazon for 800. i got that instead:)

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I definitely would have gone for cards over a TV too, but I'm not really a tech guy. Don't care for gadgets like home theatre, gaming consoles, or 3D TV (I own none of these). The only thing I would have done differently is probably bought more cards that were a little less expensive. I think I'd rather have a whole bunch of nice cards instead of just a couple of REALLY nice cards.

- Rod

chicuse

Mar 17, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cards > TV. Originally bought my LCDHDTV back in '06 and around then, it was close to $4500. I couldn't even use the HD back then. Now, the same TV is around $800. Lesson learned - wait on the new electronics.

G

BrewerSuperCollector said:
I must be the only one, but I would have put it in the bank.
If I were you, I'd use it to help buy a real team :lol:

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
GoldenBuckeyes said:
If I were you, I'd use it to help buy a real team :lol:

This coming from a Gophers fan.

The Twins were talked about being contracted, you lost an NHL team for a while, the Vikings are on the verge of leaving, and the Timberwolves are well...the Timberwolves.

hhhmmmm......

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Chris,
Already told you my thoughts....awesome awesome Mayo Cut Plug. Yes, cards always > 3DTVs. ;)
EDIT: Sending you an email

Ohh that's exciting, if only I thought of that!

G

WoundedDuck said:
I'm not into the 3D thing. It will only get better and cheaper. A nice 1080p HDTV is nice though. I absolutely love my 55" Love the pickups. Very nice vintage. Hard to lose money in the long run on pre war

It just occurred to me that, in this case, the pre-war on this card is the Spanish-American War of 1898.

cardboardfixation

Apr 5, 2011
New York
Hmmm....that's a tough one... I got a great deal on my Samsung 3D...But whats the point in getting one right now when there aren't too many stations or movies that you can watch in true 3D... The tv is awesome but so are those cards...

Members online

Latest posts