Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

what card shops do you wish were still open in your area?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
I know with the internet being one of the main causes for card stores being closed down what shop(s) do you wish were still around? Maybe its one you used to go to as a kid and just closed up or maybe its one that was awesome and you had great luck. If anyone feels like throwin' some names/reasons around I think it'd be cool

Mine was when we lived in Flagstaff, AZ in the late 80's and early 90's called "flagstaff baseball card store" it was just a neat store and the first shop to pop up in Flagstaff. Everything else in the area came from Phoenix which is where we are now and we go to Batters Box now

....anyone else?

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
There was a card shop in Mentor, Ohio called "Old Coin and Card"...ran by a man named Paul. Closed sometime in 2001-2002.

On an off chance: if anyone knows this place and can remember the owners last name, I would love to email him. The guy did more to help me get into collecting than just about anybody.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
We still have several card shops in Calgary today, but the card shop i grew up with is no longer with us. It was called Olympic City Sports Cards. It opened in about 1987 and stayed up till sometime in the mid/late 1990s.

Growing up in Canada, it was always very easy to find wax packs of Hockey and Baseball at pretty much every corner store. The only cards you could not find as a kid in Canada were NBA and NFL cards. I can still remember the first time walking into the shop and seeing all the boxes of 87/88 Fleer Basketball and 87 Topps Football. I thought i had died and gone to heaven. To this day, i still own all those original Basketball and NFL cards that i had purchased at that shop.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Collector's Den in the Richland Mall of Johnstown, PA. Loved that place as a kid.

The local shop now is just a general antique and collectibles shop with a pretty low selection of packs that are searched by an employee before they hit the shelf, and a case full of overpriced goods. The card market in the area is pretty bad though, so it's possible the prices look high because the stickers have been there a long time with no sales.

i have 2 and ironicly they both went out of business in the same strip mall. i live in the greater omaha metroplex!! ;)

d & f sportscards- you could go in there anytime frank was open and have someone else in there busting wax while watching golf on the television. he used to do a drop zone which would put cards with higher book into a case and start dropping the price til it sold. there was a tris speaker bat card in there that i wanted so bad my trigger finger kept itching and the day i was gonna pop a fella bought the card and was still in store when i arrived. :( it was just a fun place to go into bs with the owner and other collectors while always feeling at home. several times frank would stay late for me and let me pick up my wax. then see me opening it in the car facing an old white rock wall only to come out and see what my breaks looked like before he would jump into his tahoe and leave. no one told me he went out of business and i made a trip up there when the new leasee was moving in and they literally had to tell me it was going to be ok.

olde towne sportscards- it started in olde towne bellevue and was about a block away from my old place of business. i went to grab lunch one day and saw this guy carrying in 5000ct boxes so i knew it was coming before it opened. first day it was open for business i was in for a nice surprise the owner (paul walker) was a fella who used to run some cardshows in omaha, and babysit a store (waynes) i used to frequent in bellevue.

first night i spent 3 hours digging through nickel boxes to build and finish chrome sets while talking and spreading the joy of my company with paul. i was in there daily for probably a month straight and walked in on several halfway into a bottle of whiskey opening parties where paul would be sitting on the stool or floor with wrappers all around him and stacks and stacks of cards. all the while laughing like an idiot. after business got to going paul moved into the same mall frank was in and took on a partner. the parntership didnt work so well and i showed up after work to find paul was closed and that it had new ownership.

returning on the date the sign said it was reopened i saw another friendly face (rich orth) from another place (lbs). rich had the shop hopping for a bit and we (fellow fcber cujgiz and i) used to spend every thursday from 11 till 5 in there either sleeping on the couch, watching cops, making fun of each other or most likely busting wax. actually it was more like all of the above then sleeping on the couch. the store was doing well until some surprises hit and some of the wax dried up. it went from a rotating crowd of 5-10 of us on thursday to just cujgiz and i and yet again the place closed down with a surprise note in the window on a thursday morning.

the new ownership was also a friendly face (craig) from a friendly place (lbs). so it went off without a hitch. problem was we had a young one on the way and my spending habits were forced to change for 9 months. went in about 2-3 times a month but as i got on they moved in a bowling ball shop and took away the freeroam and chill ability of the store. so i yet again missed the store closing and showed up to a 3rd sheet in the window.

so now of the 3 shops i know of in omaha i will spend money with one (lbs)... but not the money i used to spend since i can find prices online better. the other two (sportscenter cards and collectibles and tuva) will not see me break the door.

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
i have 2 and ironicly they both went out of business in the same strip mall. i live in the greater omaha metroplex!! ;)

d & f sportscards- you could go in there anytime frank was open and have someone else in there busting wax while watching golf on the television. he used to do a drop zone which would put cards with higher book into a case and start dropping the price til it sold. there was a tris speaker bat card in there that i wanted so bad my trigger finger kept itching and the day i was gonna pop a fella bought the card and was still in store when i arrived. :( it was just a fun place to go into bs with the owner and other collectors while always feeling at home. several times frank would stay late for me and let me pick up my wax. then see me opening it in the car facing an old white rock wall only to come out and see what my breaks looked like before he would jump into his tahoe and leave. no one told me he went out of business and i made a trip up there when the new leasee was moving in and they literally had to tell me it was going to be ok.

olde towne sportscards- it started in olde towne bellevue and was about a block away from my old place of business. i went to grab lunch one day and saw this guy carrying in 5000ct boxes so i knew it was coming before it opened. first day it was open for business i was in for a nice surprise the owner (paul walker) was a fella who used to run some cardshows in omaha, and babysit a store (waynes) i used to frequent in bellevue.

first night i spent 3 hours digging through nickel boxes to build and finish chrome sets while talking and spreading the joy of my company with paul. i was in there daily for probably a month straight and walked in on several halfway into a bottle of whiskey opening parties where paul would be sitting on the stool or floor with wrappers all around him and stacks and stacks of cards. all the while laughing like an idiot. after business got to going paul moved into the same mall frank was in and took on a partner. the parntership didnt work so well and i showed up after work to find paul was closed and that it had new ownership.

returning on the date the sign said it was reopened i saw another friendly face (rich orth) from another place (lbs). rich had the shop hopping for a bit and we (fellow fcber cujgiz and i) used to spend every thursday from 11 till 5 in there either sleeping on the couch, watching cops, making fun of each other or most likely busting wax. actually it was more like all of the above then sleeping on the couch. the store was doing well until some surprises hit and some of the wax dried up. it went from a rotating crowd of 5-10 of us on thursday to just cujgiz and i and yet again the place closed down with a surprise note in the window on a thursday morning.

the new ownership was also a friendly face (craig) from a friendly place (lbs). so it went off without a hitch. problem was we had a young one on the way and my spending habits were forced to change for 9 months. went in about 2-3 times a month but as i got on they moved in a bowling ball shop and took away the freeroam and chill ability of the store. so i yet again missed the store closing and showed up to a 3rd sheet in the window.

so now of the 3 shops i know of in omaha i will spend money with one (lbs)... but not the money i used to spend since i can find prices online better. the other two (sportscenter cards and collectibles and tuva) will not see me break the door.

I know we talked via PM about the first two places and would agree that D&F was a great place. It is amazing we never ran into each other because I used to do all of the local shows there too.

I went to Frank's shop when I got back into collecting in 1997 because it was down the road from the base and that was pretty much the only place I shopped at. Frank was a good guy and at one point even had a punch ticket that you earned store credit with after clearing it via purchases. The Drop Zone was also a cool idea and definitely snagged some good deals out of it. I used to bust a ton of wax and Frank's closure actually coincided with me moving in 2004. He saw the writing on the wall and that his bigger customers had either stopped collecting or in my case were moving.

Paul also worked for another guy named Tony when he took over Wayne's place. I used to bust a ton of wax there too and would sell inventory to them when I needed cash as I was in college at the time. It was fun to hang out with Paul and BS with whomever came in there. Buddy Carlyle's dad used to come in there quite a bit around 1999-2001.

Card shops were never the same after I left Omaha and it is probably a good thing because I saved a lot of money by not having a wax outlet close by. The downside was missing out on talking face to face with people about the hobby or sports in general.

I've actually lived in the Sioux City area for almost 3 years and haven't even checked out the place here. I believe it may cater more to comics. I've meant to check it out a few times but the closest I've come is getting my taxes done next door in the evening.

manningmurphyfan said:
notjomommasclint said:

I know we talked via PM about the first two places and would agree that D&F was a great place. It is amazing we never ran into each other because I used to do all of the local shows there too.

I went to Frank's shop when I got back into collecting in 1997 because it was down the road from the base and that was pretty much the only place I shopped at. Frank was a good guy and at one point even had a punch ticket that you earned store credit with after clearing it via purchases. The Drop Zone was also a cool idea and definitely snagged some good deals out of it. I used to bust a ton of wax and Frank's closure actually coincided with me moving in 2004. He saw the writing on the wall and that his bigger customers had either stopped collecting or in my case were moving.

Paul also worked for another guy named Tony when he took over Wayne's place. I used to bust a ton of wax there too and would sell inventory to them when I needed cash as I was in college at the time. It was fun to hang out with Paul and BS with whomever came in there. Buddy Carlyle's dad used to come in there quite a bit around 1999-2001.

Card shops were never the same after I left Omaha and it is probably a good thing because I saved a lot of money by not having a wax outlet close by. The downside was missing out on talking face to face with people about the hobby or sports in general.

I've actually lived in the Sioux City area for almost 3 years and haven't even checked out the place here. I believe it may cater more to comics. I've meant to check it out a few times but the closest I've come is getting my taxes done next door in the evening.

i remember the card frank had he never punched mine just scribbled his initials and he also had those drawings for wax. i cant remember if it was dollar or wax amounts but i one a box of ultra basketball duncans rookie year and pulled a gold duncan... which almost sent frank into full on cardiac arrest! we may have talked in there. up until about a year ago i would see frank in lums eating or selling food product during my bi weekly lunch with grandma. he looks good for his age and while i am sure he cannot recall my name always takes a moment to talk.

when i was really cranking on the 100th anniversary red sox auto hats one of my main wants was a carbo. i had told him this and he looked at me like i was partially retarded (not sure he was wrong) and turned and pointed to a ziplock bag about 3 foot from where i stood every time i was in there! he said it had been in there for over a year and then sold it to me for $10 because he was sick of looking at it.

buddys dad still talks to paul and they are still on the search for the 1998 chrome gold /5. when buddy had a nice run a few years back with the braves paul picked up a gamer and used to display it proudly. from what i have heard buddys dad only collects buddy now and is still doing concrete. for the most part you arent missing much in the omaha market. bruce at lbs had me soured over the pricing of some chrome, herb at tuva just doesnt seem to wanna deal, and rick at sportscenter doesnt like guys that arent whales. if you dont buy his hockey, basketball, football, other crap he doesnt like to give you prices on cases... then calls or texts you when he cant sell said cases and wants you to hurry up and get them. he can eat my poop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts