Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What type of performances create the greatest price bumps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
What do investors/prospectors/flippers pray to happen on the field?

What type of "news/headlines" usually create the greatest OVERNIGHT jumps in price?

How big a factor does a player's reputation play in being able to cause this to occur?

No-hitter/Perfect game?

5 home runs in a game?

21 strikeouts?

No. 1 on prospect lists?

7-7?

Or is the actual player who is accomplishing this feat the biggest factor, not the actual achievement itself?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
bigredmachine said:
No Hitter. Dallas Braden last year I think. Made a killing after his.

I have to agree here. One of the biggest overnight jumps has got to have been Clay Buchholz after his as well.

fonda1119

Apr 5, 2010
Cycles too. I remember when Fred Lewis hit for the cycle as a rookie a couple years back with SF. His Finest autos jumped from $3 to $25-$30.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I hope for consistently above-average performances from my prospects.

Or for them to play at a level which is consistently higher than it was (or was perceived to be) at the time I bought in.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Records can do wonders for card prices. Ichiro's 2004 hit record made a huge impact on some of his cards. I would love to see a prospect/young star (i know the chances) break Joe Ds 56 streak (as unlikely as that it) or something like that. HIt .400?
Edit sorry skiped right through the overnight part. But still!
I would say no hitter.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Nothing in this thread so far applies to what the hell is happening with Sam Fuld.

Cards of his that were .99¢ a couple of weeks ago are now selling for $50

All he has done is play consistently well and make a few web gems catches.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
JoshHamilton said:
Dying prematurely

Ouch, but yea that next day Adenhart stuff went ballistic.

The Buchholz no hitter is the biggest jump I have ever seen as far as overnight for one performance. My friend had an 05 blue refractor end that night at nearly $200. He was expecting around $30, iirc.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Overnight bump I would say No Hitter or Perfect Game.

HR binges can also push prices up over the course of a week or two.

G

aaron41984 said:
The Buchholz no hitter is the biggest jump I have ever seen as far as overnight for one performance. My friend had an 05 blue refractor end that night at nearly $200. He was expecting around $30, iirc.

Even I bought a Buchholz that night. It was a great moment. One of only two modern players I've bought a single of.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
One word: hype(which tends to come from a player being on Sportscenter, or the like)

Aroldis Chapman all over ESPN when debuting, hitting 102 or whatever it was. Mike Trout, being talked about as the #1 prospect all winter long.

Also, for prospects-just big debuts. JP Arencibia hitting 2 HR in his debut is a good example.

Or, as others have mentioned, no hitters, cycles, perfect games, etc.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
If the question is what causes the greatest 'overnight' bump, then that would have to be something that happens in one day, usually one amazing game or some event like death. Breaking a season or career record might be something, but in those cases there's usually a long run-up to it, made interminable by the amount of coverage ESPN usually has for such things. Setting a team record for hits is a break-in moment? Because that team is the Yankees? I can't wait till someone sets a team record for hits for the Mariners or something to see what coverage that earns.

But the player in question is also part of the equation. Shawn Green had what was arguably the greatest day in history for a hitter a few years ago when he set a record for total bases in a game. But he's always been lukewarm at best in the hobby and it made nary a ripple for his cards. But if someone like Albert Pujols or Mike Stanton was to do it, sales would spike.

Latest posts