Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help with 1988 score glossy question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Hi, I sold a card recently to someone (a 1988 score glossy) and they wrote me today to say thanks but you made a mistake this is not a score glossy. I am 100% positive it is, I have held it up to its base version. The problem is that these cards were still not "super glossy" relative to modern cards.

anyways, this guys says that he did some research and the 1988 score traded glossy box says "high gloss" and well this card doesn't have high gloss and he wants to return the cards. I stated no returns in my auction and frankly I think this is a case of buyer's remorse.

any thoughts? I think it's VERY hard to tell if the card is glossy if you are not experienced or have handled many of these cards, especially without a base version sitting right next to it.

appreciate insight! thanks

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
if you've ever held a topps and topps tiffany the score cards are very similar in gloss to the topps tiffany's and noticeably different than the base cards which don't have any gloss at all.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I'm not convinced the difference is that easy w/o holding the two cards side by side (which the buyer is not able to do). I am looking at two cards I own, both graded by the same TPG, one glossy and one not. and it is not easily distinguished.

I sent this card that I sold to a TPG and listed it as a glossy card but it was not slabbed since it did not meet my MG.

but what I am hearing from Henderson is that I must be wrong? and the TPG as well?

i guess I will refund, but it is a glossy card...

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
thanks for all the feedback.

I would like to post the pictures in this thread if I can but not sure how (I may not have admin rights to do so?)

is anyone willing to take the Pepsi challenge on this one? :)

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Here's a link to a picasa album with pics of 3 alomar cards, would LOVE any feedback on which ones you think are glossy or not.

thanks in advance.

i

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
#3 is glossy.

Regular:

1988_score_472.jpg

Glossy:

1988_score_glossy_472.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Jaster, would you mind taking a look at the picasa link I posted? would love your two cents

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks everyone.

1) I pointed out to seller that he is make a gut call w/o having a comparison
2) I know the card is glossy (granted, it may have lost some of it's gloss over the years)

3) Card #3 is in fact glossy. It is also the card in question that the buyer wants to return. (good job Jay1065)

anyways, appreciate everyone's help. I have sent him scans to prove the case.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Scans won't show glossy coatings. You'd really need a photo taken at an angle so you can see the light bouncing off the surface.

Members online

Latest posts