Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Code Card Virtual Break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
I don't know where to put this topic. Is this what I think it is? I can't be that lucky. I hit a Shin-Soo Choo die cut 2 codes before, then this card. I didn't bust any wax this weekend, so my huge stack of unused code cards from the topps value boxes caught my attention.

5652453940_b48cbc6dc8_b.jpg

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
Damn, those $14.99 Topps value boxes paid off again then. I've never seen one of these before. Have you seen one in person?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I understand that even the crummy players are good for a couple hundred for the diamond alone. Might have read that on the hot list one of the last weeks? Congrats on a big-time hit.

A_Pharis

It's impossible for them to be seen in person. They haven't been shipped and most likely be shipped for months. That's a very nice hit. Most speculation has been that the diamond chip is very small (since cost of producing the entire set with a sizable diamond would beyond means as far as cost is concerned).

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
A_Pharis said:
It's impossible for them to be seen in person. They haven't been shipped and most likely be shipped for months. That's a very nice hit. Most speculation has been that the diamond chip is very small (since cost of producing the entire set with a sizable diamond would beyond means as far as cost is concerned).

So you think it's going to be a thin card with a thin piece of a diamond rather than a thick card that could hold a bigger piece?

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
Greg Cleveland said:
Dang, Matt! The hits keep on coming! Nice pull! I think it's tough to speculate on how they will look--thick, thinner, how large a diamond, etc. Once they hit live, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks. I didn't know if any had been produced or seen at a card show at one of the Topps booth's. I had to do a double take after I typed in the code cause I was thinking why in the hell are they giving me a 2011 Topps card. Are they doing a diamond 1/1 for every card in the 330 card set?

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Greg Cleveland said:
Dang, Matt! The hits keep on coming! Nice pull! I think it's tough to speculate on how they will look--thick, thinner, how large a diamond, etc. Once they hit live, it will be interesting to see what happens.

There was a 1 hour special on Topps a few weeks ago on MLBN. They showed some history and how cards were made. In one segment they showed these cards being produced, they are thick and I think they said the diamond sizes will vary.

A_Pharis

hockeyfights said:
A_Pharis said:

So you think it's going to be a thin card with a thin piece of a diamond rather than a thick card that could hold a bigger piece?

If you look at it you see the diamond is in a small metal mount. You have to consider production costs on these involving the price of diamonds. To keep cost down, I would expect them to be low grade/color diamonds that are fairly small. Remember, even a decent sized chip can cost a good it. If you can sell it, I'd advise selling it. nce redeemed, I don't expect them being very big.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
They aren't "diamonds" per se, but diamond chips. No real depth or size, mounted in a bracket like piece.
Nothing being worth hundreds for scrubs or anything like that, but the bigger name players might fetch a few hundred.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I am not too familiar with these cards, but I highly doubt they will be produced using GIA Certified diamonds

Theoretically Topps could use .25-.50 karat stones of really poor quality. A poor quality diamond can be fairly inexpensive, I saw a few at the Exchange in NYC that you could buy for $10-30 depending on what size and what imperfections there were.

Also if this is the route that Topps decides to go, they can have the stones buffed and electronically enhanced to increase the brillance of the diamond. Overall the cards could have a decent size, real, sparkly diamond...of really crap quality that wont be worth much without that card.

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
Hell, it's a 1/1 and the code card came from a $14.99 Topps Value box. Just don't see these cards everyday. I'm sure there's gonna be a small market for them, whether it's a crappy diamond or not. I don't think I'm going to have any problem coming out on top on these boxes :D

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
hockeyfights said:
Hell, it's a 1/1 and the code card came from a $14.99 Topps Value box. Just don't see these cards everyday. I'm sure there's gonna be a small market for them, whether it's a crappy diamond or not. I don't think I'm going to have any problem coming out on top on these boxes :D

Absolutely. I am thinking of picking up one of these when they are live on the market.

Members online

Latest posts