Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh how the mighty have fallen.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Won this tonight for $117
Ive wanted one of these for 25+ years now.
Finding a nicely center PSA 9 is not the easiest thing to do.
The scary part is that the same seller had a Puckett that had to have been from the same set, because its centering was equal to the Clemens. I lost the Kirby, which ended for four dollars MORE then the Clemens!!! Crazy!!!

$(KGrHqZ,!hgE2fW7BKsYBNrgU5Dsdw~~0_3.jpg

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Sick, mine is a BGS 7.5. I had it graded and just wanted authenticated slab if not 8.5, but that didn't happen. It was my birthday present in 1991, and my favorite card as a kid.

G

Eric, are you doing PSA's Top 250 Sportscards? You've been picking up nice post-1960 issues on the list (like the Clemens, Ryan) lately.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
congrats E! that was a card on my wantlist back in the day when I had some of the key rookies of the 80's.. would have looked great next to my 83 topps traded Strawberry speaking of how the mighty had fallen..

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Chris Levy said:
Eric, are you doing PSA's Top 250 Sportscards? You've been picking up nice post-1960 issues on the list (like the Clemens, Ryan) lately.

Not intentionally lol

I am picking up slabbed rookie cards that ive always wanted to own, but never have.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I thought you got a HUGE STEAL and then saw the first "1".

Still good buy. The Puckett was a better buy at 121 though!

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Great addition. Congrats!

It's amazing to sit and think what the premium Bonds, McGwire, & Clemens RC's went for 10-12 years ago, and how they go for peanuts now.

Remember when RAW copies of McGwires '85 Topps were bringing in a few bills. :shock:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Nice pick-up.

As every single card from the 80s seems to be dropping every day (steroid implications or not), one of these days I'll pick-up a Clemens and Puckett from that set. It's just crazy to think about how many of every card there are in existence, production numbers that would make 2011 Topps blush.

I still remember going into a shop to pick-up the 1984 Traded Set and the dealer showed me that they also had a Fleer Update set...but who wanted Fleer? Not me.

sportscardtheory said:
~But people don't care about steroid abuse. Not at all. That's why this card sells for the very same prices it was getting before all the steroid talk.~

i am sure eric was bidding against himself. in this economy $119 is not as far off from prime values when you think about it! so why derail the thread with a whole heaping plate of douchosity? to prove youre right? youre not! so go back to starting your own thread and getting railed for pages and pages.

great pickup eric! i was watching the puckett. its one i want to secure by the end of the year for sure. the centering on the puckett was the nicest in a bit. i almost bought a psa 9 puckett (70-30) that was up around valentines day for $130... glad i talked myself out of it. let me rephrase that. glad my wife said no!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
jbhofmann said:
Funny, I picked up a 85 Topps McGwire the other day because they were so cheap.

A dealer at one of the shows I frequent has a number of 85 Topps McGwires in his dollar box. Granted, they're all either o/c or have soft corners, but still, he's got them in a dollar box. And no one seems to be buying them! I've been tempted to grab one, but then I said to myself, I can either have this card for a buck, or pick out 10 cards I want of players I collect from his dime boxes. The dime boxes win every time.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
notjomommasclint said:
sportscardtheory said:
~But people don't care about steroid abuse. Not at all. That's why this card sells for the very same prices it was getting before all the steroid talk.~

i am sure eric was bidding against himself. in this economy $119 is not as far off from prime values when you think about it! so why derail the thread with a whole heaping plate of douchosity? to prove youre right? youre not! so go back to starting your own thread and getting railed for pages and pages.

great pickup eric! i was watching the puckett. its one i want to secure by the end of the year for sure. the centering on the puckett was the nicest in a bit. i almost bought a psa 9 puckett (70-30) that was up around valentines day for $130... glad i talked myself out of it. let me rephrase that. glad my wife said no!

I merely made a statement exposing that the people who say no one cares about steroid abuse are wrong. The proof is in the pudding. If no one cares, why are steroid abusers' cards a small fraction of what they used to be. People care. It's not really a big deal. It is what it is. No need to get your ******* in a bunch.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
I merely made a statement exposing that the people who say no one cares about steroid abuse are wrong. The proof is in the pudding. If no one cares, why are steroid abusers' cards a small fraction of what they used to be. People care. It's not really a big deal. It is what it is. No need to get your ******* in a bunch.
The proof isn't "in the pudding," good god man...Kirby Puckett's have dropped too. Was he injecting in the grave? Or perhaps jabbing the syringe in his eye. Perhaps all those women he was groping was due to some uncontrolled steroid rage.

Almost every single 80s card is a "fraction of what they used to be" you baseless, agenda-driven instigating turd.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
200lbhockeyplayer said:
sportscardtheory said:
The proof isn't "in the pudding," good god man...Kirby Puckett's have dropped too. Was he injecting in the grave? Or perhaps jabbing the syringe in his eye. Perhaps all those women he was groping was due to some uncontrolled steroid rage.

Almost every single 80s card is a "fraction of what they used to be" you baseless, agenda-driven instigating turd.

Stop being dense. You know, I know and EVERYONE knows that cards of steroid abusers have plummeted in value much more than cards of other players. The Clemens was always a much higher priced card than the Puckett and now it's worth less. You think that is a coincidence? lol Are you really going to sit here and tell people that Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa cards didn't bottom-out due to their steroid abuse? If so, you have ZERO credibility in the real world.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
sportscardtheory said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
sportscardtheory said:

Stop being dense. You know, I know and EVERYONE knows that cards of steroid abusers have plummeted in value much more than cards of other players. The Clemens was always a much higher priced card than the Puckett and now it's worth less. You think that is a coincidence? lol Are you really going to sit here and tell people that Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa cards didn't bottom-out due to their steroid abuse? If so, you have ZERO credibility in the real world.

Seems like AROD cards still sell pretty well.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
jbhofmann said:
sportscardtheory said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
sportscardtheory said:

Seems like AROD cards still sell pretty well.

Not even close to what they use to. I have been buying Rodriguez stuff for years prior to and after his steroid abuse admittance and I have first-hand knowledge if you want to play hardball. Minus his SP rookie card, his rookie and '90s stuff has been at or around a third of what it used to sell for.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
this is for sportscardtheory

comparing update card sales to regular print sales of Bonds, Mac and Sosa is apples and oranges.. yes the market has come down on all of these but the market adjusts daily let alone 20 years after a cards production. The regular 80's cards issues of overproduction were bound to drive the value down at some point.. this isn't the late 80's early 90's boom anymore. Also being that the posted card is more than 20 years old and the player is retired your not going to see a big volume of new prospectors chasing it the way we prospected it back in the late 80's when Clemens was dominating. I can't think of too many cards left from the 80's that still regularly fetch $100 or better on auction like the Clemens and Puckett updates do so just give the poster credit for obtaining one of the icon cards of the 80's and move on..

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
1st4040 said:

comparing update card sales to regular print sales of Bonds, Mac and Sosa is apples and oranges.. yes the market has come down on all of these but the market adjusts daily let alone 20 years after a cards production. The regular 80's cards issues of overproduction were bound to drive the value down at some point.. this isn't the late 80's early 90's boom anymore. Also being that the posted card is more than 20 years old and the player is retired your not going to see a big volume of new prospectors chasing it the way we prospected it back in the late 80's when Clemens was dominating. I can't think of too many cards left from the 80's that still regularly fetch $100 or better on auction like the Clemens and Puckett updates do so just give the poster credit for obtaining one of the icon cards of the 80's and move on..

The "expensive" cards like the Topps Tiffanys have all plummeted as well. There are many cards from the '80s pulling big coin still. Barry Bonds harder to find cards are worth a fraction of what they used to be. You can't tell me that that is "just because they are from the '80s". That's absurd. Barry Bonds was the modern day Babe Ruth, and you are telling me his 1986 Topps Tiffany with a print-run of only 5,000 is valued at what it would be valued at if the steroid abuse was never an issue? I say you are out of your mind to think that steroid abuse doesn't affect a player's card values. In fact, I would call anyone an imbecilic retard to say such absolutely wrong and false information. I'm actually done talking about it, because I am not going to sit here using facts while others throw around lies and untruths as if they are reality. It's just not worth it. Anyone with half a brain who knows anything about this hobby knows that steroid abuse negatively affects a player's card values. That's a fact that NO ONE can argue against. You just can't. So stop trying.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
1st4040 said:

The "expensive" cards like the Topps Tiffanys have all plummeted as well. There are many cards from the '80s pulling big coin still. Barry Bonds harder to find cards are worth a fraction of what they used to be. You can't tell me that that is "just because they are from the '80s". That's absurd. Barry Bonds was the modern day Babe Ruth, and you are telling me his 1986 Topps Tiffany with a print-run of only 5,000 is valued at what it would be valued at if the steroid abuse was never an issue? I say you are out of your mind to think that steroid abuse doesn't affect a player's card values. In fact, I would call anyone an imbecilic retard to say such absolutely wrong and false information. I'm actually done talking about it, because I am not going to sit here using facts while others throw around lies and untruths as if they are reality. It's just not worth it. Anyone with half a brain who knows anything about this hobby knows that steroid abuse negatively affects a player's card values. That's a fact that NO ONE can argue against. You just can't. So stop trying.

I have to agree and I'm guessing Eric does to some extent as well, hence his title to the post. Nonetheless, awesome pick up

Members online

Latest posts