Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any Other Frustrated Tiger Fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
I'm getting to the point I can hardly watch the Tigers any more. The loss last night was inexcusable. Scherzer was lights out the first 6 innings last night and then he gave up all those walks. It didn't take long for the Indians to capitalize. Meanwhile, the Tigers have guys on base all night long where one big hit would have opened the game wide open and nobody ever comes throught in the clutch.

I'm usually not one to harp on a manager getting fired but it is time for Leyland to go. How many games is he going to start Jackson, Rhymes and Ordonez ahead of Cabrera in the lineup when those 3 guys are all hit .180 or lower? And more importantly, it is time for his coaching staff to go. Lamont has no sac as a third base coach. Cabrera and Santiago have both run through the stop signal at third base this year only to easily score at home with no play at the plate.

And don't get me started on being swept by the Mariners at home.

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
I'm a Pirates fan in Michigan and I have always followed the Tigers as well. I can't believe how much most fans (not directed at the op) whine about the poor starts and finishes for the Tigers. They're a good team that usually makes a good run in the middle half of the season and they've been in the race each year for the better part of a decade. I would kill for that...

B

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Yes I am frustrated. Here are some thoughts-

Loss last night was absolutely inexcusable. They really pissed that one away, and it was mostly because Scherzer was left in one inning (and obviously one pitch) too long.

Bringing Magglio back for $10MM was the stupidest waste of money I could have imagined. I didn't like the move when it happened and I don't like it now. Oh and what's he hitting? Like .165 or so?

Cabrera is still the best all-around hitter in the AL.

Raburn has actually impressed me. I've always liked him but I've not been so sure that he's worthy of being an everyday starter. Other than the idiotic play where the ball bounced off his glove and over the wall, I think he's done a pretty good job this year.

Jackson is simply not a leadoff hitter. Leadoff hitters need to strikeout less than 200 times in a season, and I just don't know if I see that happening for AJax.

Rhymes should be hitting 8th until he figures it out. Put Peralta/Raburn in the 2 spot.

Boesch is a beast, I'm really glad he has basically proved he is as good as he was in the first half last year.

Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello have been pretty good so far. If Penny and Coke can be consistently decent, I still like their chances to compete in the division.

I would not mind seeing Leyland go either. He does some things well, but there are other things he does that make no sense at all.

Overall I think the fact that the pitching has a chance to be pretty good this year is what will keep us in the race all season. The offense will put up enough runs in most games to give them a chance to win, but there just can't be letdowns like last night. They were in full control and threw it away.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Yes I am frustrated. Here are some thoughts-

Loss last night was absolutely inexcusable. They really pissed that one away, and it was mostly because Scherzer was left in one inning (and obviously one pitch) too long.

Bringing Magglio back for $10MM was the stupidest waste of money I could have imagined. I didn't like the move when it happened and I don't like it now. Oh and what's he hitting? Like .165 or so?

Cabrera is still the best all-around hitter in the AL.

Raburn has actually impressed me. I've always liked him but I've not been so sure that he's worthy of being an everyday starter. Other than the idiotic play where the ball bounced off his glove and over the wall, I think he's done a pretty good job this year.

Jackson is simply not a leadoff hitter. Leadoff hitters need to strikeout less than 200 times in a season, and I just don't know if I see that happening for AJax.

Rhymes should be hitting 8th until he figures it out. Put Peralta/Raburn in the 2 spot.

Boesch is a beast, I'm really glad he has basically proved he is as good as he was in the first half last year.

Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello have been pretty good so far. If Penny and Coke can be consistently decent, I still like their chances to compete in the division.

I would not mind seeing Leyland go either. He does some things well, but there are other things he does that make no sense at all.

Overall I think the fact that the pitching has a chance to be pretty good this year is what will keep us in the race all season. The offense will put up enough runs in most games to give them a chance to win, but there just can't be letdowns like last night. They were in full control and threw it away.

I don't have a problem with them bringing Magglio back because he was having a pretty good year last year before he got hurt and there were not a lot of other options in the off season for a big OF bat which they needed. While they did overpay it is just one year it is just one year so no long term commitment. Now having said that he has been horrible I think his ankle is still bothering him and he needs to go on DL. As for Ajax he is also really struggling but is really the only leadoff option they have right now unless they bring up Dirks from Toledo. But I think bringing up Dirks and batting first and moving AJax to 2 hole is not a horrible idea. Also call up Sizemore and let him Rayburn and Boesch fill 2B/OF/DH until VMart is back.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
I don't care who they have at the top of the batting order as long as they get on base. The Tigers have a $20 million dollar per year weapon batting cleanup. Cabrera hitting .330 year in and year out won't do any good if they don't get guys on base for him. There is no reason why Leyland should be having three guys batting less than .200 at the top of the order.

Raburn is the team's biggest enigma. That ball that hit his glove and went over the fence for a home run was a perfect example of that. He did an outstanding job getting back to the ball. He looks like he is about to make a great play and then it blows up in his face. Raburn just looks like a guy that should be putting it all together and become an everyday player but it just doesn't happen for him.

I'm one of those fans who think Magglio should have been let go. I think Magglio is a favorite of Ilitch so I wasn't surprised to see him come back. I don't think the Tigers are going to get $10 million dollars worth of play from him this year.

I would like to share at least one great thing I have been happy with this year - Alex Avila. He looks like a player who has it figured out. I love the left handed power he has provided and his defense has been even better than his hitting.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
archiebunkerjr said:
I don't care who they have at the top of the batting order as long as they get on base. The Tigers have a $20 million dollar per year weapon batting cleanup. Cabrera hitting .330 year in and year out won't do any good if they don't get guys on base for him. There is no reason why Leyland should be having three guys batting less than .200 at the top of the order.

Raburn is the team's biggest enigma. That ball that hit his glove and went over the fence for a home run was a perfect example of that. He did an outstanding job getting back to the ball. He looks like he is about to make a great play and then it blows up in his face. Raburn just looks like a guy that should be putting it all together and become an everyday player but it just doesn't happen for him.

I'm one of those fans who think Magglio should have been let go. I think Magglio is a favorite of Ilitch so I wasn't surprised to see him come back. I don't think the Tigers are going to get $10 million dollars worth of play from him this year.

I would like to share at least one great thing I have been happy with this year - Alex Avila. He looks like a player who has it figured out. I love the left handed power he has provided and his defense has been even better than his hitting.

Yeah that's a great point about Avila, I was a bit nervous when we let Laird go because I thought he had done an excellent job handling the staff even if he wasn't a very good hitter. My worries have been completely subsided thanks to Avila's strong play.

I'm also excited by how good Porcello has looked in his last three starts. I think if he can really put it together and keep this going the Tigers will be in pretty good shape having three big time arms at the top of their rotation.

Beckhamcollector15

Dec 10, 2009
At least your not a Sox fan. It's one thing to be 10-17, its another to know the bullpen blew 6 of the first 7 save opportunities :benson:

G

You're bitching about the top hitters not playing well, how about the Twins where you have the flu putting out a lot of the top hitters, Mauer on the DL, Young on the DL, Nishi with a broken leg, and having called up I think 8 players now from Rochester AAA

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
I'm frustrated with the Tigers and I am not even a fan of the team. I picked them to win the AL Central and its like they forgot how to play baseball. :evil: :|

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
GoldenBuckeyes said:
You're bitching about the top hitters not playing well, how about the Twins where you have the flu putting out a lot of the top hitters, Mauer on the DL, Young on the DL, Nishi with a broken leg, and having called up I think 8 players now from Rochester AAA

Hey man, get your own thread. :D Just kidding. Yeah, I have noticed the Twins having a lot of bad breaks. Don't worry, I'm sure they will get their act together when the Tigers come to town. They always do. Shoot, Thome usually beats the Tigers all by himself.

Members online

Latest posts