Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ebay story - I need your opinion. Am I being mean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
So I was fortunate to sell Harper Chrome early and get around $50 a pop. Unfortunately, I have a lot of buyers that haven't paid yet. So I have 2 stories for you and I need your opinion.

Story 1:
Buyer buys several of my Harper Chromes over the course of 3 days. Ranging in price from $30-$50. When he's finally done, I send him the invoice. I charge him $5 for Priority Flat Rate and $5 for insurance on $240 and handling fees. The buyer sends another request for invoice and ask for the "best combined shipping price". I realize I could just do free shipping because he bought so much, but that's not what I had advertised. Nor did he ever ask me before he bought everything. So I told him I felt I was giving him a fair price on shipping. Am I being a jerk?

Story 2:
Buyer is one of my first buyers of the Harper Chrome. Listing ends at $52. My listing states to pay within 72 hours. I send an invoice each day, but I don't send any nasty emails or anything. Just more of a nudge. 5 days later, I'm thinking the buyer is upset that prices on Chrome have fallen. So I send a friendly reminder message. The response I get "I had a family emergency and I won't be able to pay for this item. I don't know when I'll be back, but if you need to sell the item to someone else, go ahead. I will pay any fees." My response, "Sorry to hear about your family. I cannot cancel this transaction as I will lose out on this situation. I am willing to wait another week for payment. If I don't hear back from you after 1 week, I will open a case with ebay. Thank you"

Am I being unfair? I mean, if you bid on an auction and win, you are obligated to pay? Sure things come up, but you still need to take care of your business. Both customers have 100% feedback and over 1000 feedback. Sure Chrome has dropped, but a deal is a deal, no? Am I being too harsh?

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I would give buyer1 a better price.If it was me I would have waived the shipping just to unload the inventory at a premium price.You are ****** either way with buyer 2.

The Third Eye

Aug 26, 2008
The Fox Valley
uniquebaseballcards said:
sportscardfanatic said:
... I charge him $5 for Priority Flat Rate and $5 for insurance on $240 and handling fees. ...

Don't know if it matters but I don't think you can do this.

Insurance is your (the sellers) responsibility, not the buyers. That's your issue with #1; with #2, you have to bite the bullet there.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
sportscardfanatic said:
... I charge him $5 for Priority Flat Rate and $5 for insurance on $240 and handling fees. ...

Let me clarify. Each item he purchased had $5 shipping because I was using Priority Mail. It was listed that way. I also say in my listing that I will discount for combined shipping. The buyer purchased 6 Chrome cards. Total shipping would have been $30 without the discount. I charged him $5 for the flat rate box and basically $1 per extra card to cover handling fees (toploaders, packaging materials and insurance cost). I don't think ebay has a policy against charging for insurance. Even if they did, I don't think it's unfair to charge $1 per card for the combined shipping anyway.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I'd give the first guy better price for shipping. Especially in situations like this where he bought a bunch from you, I'm usually more lenient with shipping fees.

The second situation you are completely right, the guy needs to pay for the item he committed to buy.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
The Third Eye said:
sportscardfanatic said:

Insurance is your (the sellers) responsibility, not the buyers. That's your issue with #1; with #2, you have to bite the bullet there.

I'd like to see where it says I can't charge the buyer cost of insurance. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'd like to read it with my own eyes.

Second, why do I have to bite the bullet. Are you saying that I need to lose the transaction? What if the buyer is just trying to get out of the transaction. I can open the unpaid item case and win it. The buyer has 100% feedback, why would they want to ruin it? It's now a moot point because the buyer ended up paying for it, but I'm just curious to see what other people think. Was I being unfair to say what I said?

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Let me put it another way for you.Is it worth the couple of extra $$$ to possibly lose sale #1?You were able to list early and received a premium sale because of it.Don't screw the sale up over a few $$ in shipping.If he backs out you will lose more than that.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
sportscardfanatic said:
The Third Eye said:
sportscardfanatic said:

I'd like to see where it says I can't charge the buyer cost of insurance. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'd like to read it with my own eyes.

Second, why do I have to bite the bullet. Are you saying that I need to lose the transaction? What if the buyer is just trying to get out of the transaction. I can open the unpaid item case and win it. The buyer has 100% feedback, why would they want to ruin it? It's now a moot point because the buyer ended up paying for it, but I'm just curious to see what other people think. Was I being unfair to say what I said?

You theoretically can charge the buyer for insurance, but shouldn't as it doesn't benefit them any. I'd agree with the buyer on this one and just knock off a couple of $ off shipping so that you don't completely lose out on $240.

You don't need to "lose" the unpaid item case, but what they meant by saying "bite the bullet" is that you really have no power in that case. Even if you do win the unpaid item case, you still lose out on the sale and cannot do anything about it.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
nyc3 said:
sportscardfanatic said:

I cant find the ebay link but I remember the stink this rule change caused thats mentioned here.

http://blog.shipsurance.com/2009/07/shi ... y-sellers/

Okay, but even in that article, it mentions I can include insurance fees in the shipping and handling fees.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Give a better price for buyer number one. I think you made some coin on those cards anyway correct?

Buyer to needs to man up and pay for what he bought, but you know he can just file the cards are damaged
or they are not described to PP when it does pay and gets them. So just jettison that dirt bag and out him by
user name.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
sportscardfanatic said:
nyc3 said:
sportscardfanatic said:

I cant find the ebay link but I remember the stink this rule change caused thats mentioned here.

http://blog.shipsurance.com/2009/07/shi ... y-sellers/

Okay, but even in that article, it mentions I can include insurance fees in the shipping and handling fees.
Yes you can.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
Pine Tar said:
Give a better price for buyer number one. I think you made some coin on those cards anyway correct?

Buyer to needs to man up and pay for what he bought, but you know he can just file the cards are damaged
or they are not described to PP when it does pay and gets them. So just jettison that dirt bag and out him by
user name.

Actually, buyer #1 made off pretty well. When Chrome was going for $40-$50, he won 2 of the cards at $30 and $35. Later that night and the next day, they were back at $40-$50 again.

Okay...so I understand what most of you are getting at. You're saying if a buyer spends alot, I should cut a break as a customer service thing. But let's change this scenario a little. Let's say I had 100 cheaper cards for sale and the one buyer buys all 100 for $10. Shipping may end up costing me over $10. Because they bought so much, should I be discounting shipping? To me, both scenarios are no different.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
sportscardfanatic said:
Pine Tar said:

user name.

Actually, buyer #1 made off pretty well. When Chrome was going for $40-$50, he won 2 of the cards at $30 and $35. Later that night and the next day, they were back at $40-$50 again.

Okay...so I understand what most of you are getting at. You're saying if a buyer spends alot, I should cut a break as a customer service thing. But let's change this scenario a little. Let's say I had 100 cheaper cards for sale and the one buyer buys all 100 for $10. Shipping may end up costing me over $10. Because they bought so much, should I be discounting shipping? To me, both scenarios are no different.
And the answer is the same to both.Yes cut him a deal.You may end up with a long term customr out of the deal.If really don't want to then don't.There are plenty of people on Ebay to spend money with.I sure he will no problem finding someone else.Don't let your convictions **** up business.To many guys here have spats on Ebay over a few bucks.It is ******* stupid.

Members online

Latest posts