Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

More desirable Eric Thames - 2010 BP or 2011 Bowman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I'm only asking because:

1. I'm not a prospector
2. I pulled his 2010 BP blue ref /99 autograph earlier this year

Does Bowman/Bowman Chrome still rule all, despite his BP being an earlier release? It appears so - his 2010 Bowman Platinum blue ref has been selling for $30-35, while his Bowman Chrome blue ref autograph /150 sells for close to $50. Even though BP was a 2010 product and blue refs were lower-numbered, the 2011 Bowman seems to be more popular.

Will prices for 2011 Bowman settle once the "new" wears off, or will his second-year Bowman always be the dominate card?

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I'd say 2010. Bowman is king is what it usually comes down to. It's chrome over everything in the same year, but not from previous Bowman releases.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
This is tough because it's not quite as simple as Bowman Sterling vs. Chrome. Platinums on-card.

I think platinum will come pretty close to chrome, to be honest. If you look at Heyward, the difference isn't huge but it does get a bit bigger when the cards heat up.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Usually I'm chrome all the way but whole year later release kills it for me.

For example, after buying several Goldschmidt platinum and elite autos months ago, I have no motivation to buy 2011 chromes now.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Nice to see that both cards are heating up right now.

2011 Bowman blues selling for $40-50. No Platinum blue has sold recently but greens /199 have been going for $25-27.

As a non-prospector (although I do collect rookies) is it time to sell?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Chrome Auto is without question the best card to have. Even if it comes out a year or two later, it will cripple the value of other auto releases and will ultimately be the card that outsells all other releases.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
For my PC, i'd rather have his earlier issue cause it came first in a mainstream product.

In terms of investment purposes, both cards can become valuable if he continues to get hot.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
To think there will always be a consensus opinion on which card is always best is pretty ridiculous, people will buy what they like and for different reasons. Like it or not, its obvious that all these different cards will invariably serve to draw attention away from each other.

IMO the most desirable card shows him on the correct team wearing the correct uniform.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Chrome is always the most desirable. But everyone is different as to what they prefer, I like true rookie's, which in this case would be his Platinum. Either way you go, both of these cards have gone up since release and are continuing to rise with his outstanding play.

elainebenice

Dec 1, 2009
Alabama
alabamalongsnake said:
ffgameman said:
Based on recent sales I have decided to put my Thames up for sale.

what do you want for them?

btw folks - Thames ain't going back to Las Vegas this year

I sold a chrome for $12 + shipping 2 days ago on ebay. It looks like the prices are still generally in that area, with some higher and some lower, but the trend seems to still be going upward.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
alabamalongsnake said:
ffgameman said:
Based on recent sales I have decided to put my Thames up for sale.

what do you want for them?

btw folks - Thames ain't going back to Las Vegas this year

I only have one - the Platinum blue /99.

I'm looking for around the $45 area as that's what the only two recently sold on eBay went for.