Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Discussion: Collecting lulls, Slabs vs Raw for non-rc's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i realize that graded card (or slabs) are not everyones cup of tea. thats fine and dandy,
so no need to "bash" those people that are fans of slabs. i will value your input (as anyone should), but please keep in mind that slabs are a real aspect of this hobby of ours, regardless of our own opinions of them.

i have a lot of slabs. i freely admit that i have a slab problem/addiction. i am trying to address that as the free space that i have for cards gets smaller. i dont know what it is sometimes, but i just love those little plastic jackets. i realize that it's not the most economical way to go about collecting, but eh, sometimes i just dont care. sometimes i do.

im at one of those crossroads at the moment. i still have a drive to go after 1981 Topps and 1984 Donruss HOFers in PSA 9 slabs, but my interest in the other years/brands that i "need" is waning. some days i just want to rip that old wax and then take those HOF base cards and put them in sheets/binders. some days i want to forge ahead and pick the rest of them up already slabbed. yes, i know that the latter isnt the best option financially, but sometimes, who cares?

eh. i dont know anymore. i know that i can get a WHOLE set of 1981 Donruss for less then $30. a Wax box is $45 and the HOF slabs are $5 - $15 a piece. the math is simple to do, really.

How do you guys deal with "lulls" in collecting when you run across them?

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
If I hit a wall of indecision,if I can fight it for a few days I can usually get right back to my focus.Other times change is good.At the end of the day it has to make sense for me and my collection.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
I collect mainly raw cards, but I do have some slabs for the 1954 Bowman set that I am working on. I am a set collector, mainly focusing on Topps, but I have the Bowman set I am working on, along with a relic set that I have been working on for nearly 10 years. I also collect a few other areas, so when I get in a lull with one I work toward one of my other goals! I have also really enjoyed scaling down the excess of the collection that I have had. I have gotten rid of nearly 75,000 plus cards in the last few years and it has felt good to make it more organized!

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Little Plastic Jackets sounds like the name of a really terrible indie band.

I obviously have nothing useful to add to this thread

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
For the first time in I can't remember, I'm not following any auctions on Ebay. I have zero interest in picking anything new up & haven't bought any of the new Bowman either. I am also putting together a graded set as well (PSA 72 Topps basketball), but I've put that on hold as well. I'm not sure why, but it could have something to do with seeing just how much I've spent in the last two years (thank you Ebay reports ::facepalm:: ) and being completely disgusted with myself. I'm sure my disgust will fade, it always does - but for the time being I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a bit (or so I say).

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I too like grading, but mostly RCs and RCs that are notoriously condition sensitive. I have had luls too. It's bound to happen when you have collected for sixteen years! I feel old while I type that. I have gone through lots of phases, a large selling phase last year, and now I am slowing down. It feels good. I will still pick up the latest crop of gold refractors, an impulse purchase here and there, and keep an eye out for Oswalt superfractors.

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
I take a step back, take a few days off from the hobby and try to develop some other interests. I recently dropped a fair amount on a new watch, some nice shoes, and a few shirts. It made me realize I really don't need to spend as much on cards and that I can slow it down a bit, I have other stuff that I find just as enjoyable if not more so.

In your case, I'd look at some other stuff and then see what you feel like in a few days. Lulls are lulls, don't go and buy a few grand worth of stuff you just decided you liked. The watch I bought was the fourth I seriously considered, and the only one which I kept liking for a few weeks.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I usually go pretty crazy after I sell a bunch of cards and add to my collection and then take it easy for a while and ignore ebay. Gives me time to think about what I'm going to go after next. I guess it gives me time to take stock in what I have. Sometimes I forgot when I'm too busy just buying up stuff and throwing it in a box.

As far as grading is concerned.... I have yet to grade a single card. Which is rare for a prospector. But I am old school and am not a fan of grading unless it's vintage. I just don't like idea of slabbing a card you just pulled out of a pack. Seems useless. I know that it could mean more money but to me its not worth the effort to hope a card comes back a 9.5 and if not I may as well sell raw. IDK, I just don't like the idea of having my stuff in those things. Who knows, maybe Ill change my mind some day.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
sometimes i just buy a card that is different from what i collect. just to expand a little in a different area. maybe a psa/dna auto of someone you grew up with. or maybe some wild refractor.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
I don't have a lot of cash to throw around and the 8-10 'sets' (player rc sets and film/tv cast autographs sets) keep me busy searching for stuff to buy as some of the older low book rookies don't show up often. But, my biggest problem with lulls in collecting is related to prevent myself from starting something new just to have something to look for. I enjoy working on and completing sets, but sometimes I feel like I collect because I am addicted to the chase and satisfaction of completing something, as opposed to collect for the items themselves.

Members online

Latest posts