Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bobby Borchering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
I've always liked Borchering's swing, but it looks loopy at times.

Last year started off slow but finished the year hitting a mediocre .270.

This year he's hitting almost .290 and is showing some pop but has struck iut 71 times in 49 games :?

Do you ever think he'll be among the D Back's top two or three prospects? Obviously the strikeouts are a big concern, but despite striking out as much as he has been, he's still hitting almost .290

Thoughts?

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
Nick1190 said:

This year he's hitting almost .290 and is showing some pop but has struck iut 71 times in 49 games :?

Do you ever think he'll be among the D Back's top two or three prospects? Obviously the strikeouts are a big concern, but despite striking out as much as he has been, he's still hitting almost .290

Thoughts?

New management sees the Ks as a major negative...

See my sig, lol...

That being said, he's still in the minors for a reason. He can keep working on it and hopefully make the K numbers drop...

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
bballjunky24 said:
Nick1190 said:

Thoughts?

See my sig, lol...

That being said, he's still in the minors for a reason. He can keep working on it and hopefully make the K numbers drop...

Ha Mark Reynolds K's a ton but still puts up 40HR's a year easily.

The thing that shocks me is that Borchering strikes out so much but yet he's still batting .290.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Nick1190 said:
bballjunky24 said:
Nick1190 said:

Thoughts?

See my sig, lol...

The thing that shocks me is that Borchering strikes out so much but yet he's still batting .290.

Well, if you're batting .290, you're doing a little better than 1-4 and not as good as 1-3, which allows your two or more at bats to strike out each game. Just sayin'.

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
Nick1190 said:
bballjunky24 said:
Nick1190 said:

Thoughts?

See my sig, lol...

I think looking at reynolds as an example the Ks eventually catch up and show that sustaining a high .BA without addressing the Ks is tough.

2 respectable seasons
2008 .239 28HR 97RBI 204Ks :benson:
2009 .260 44HR 102RBI 223Ks :benson: :benson:
Now the not so good
2010 .198 32HR 85RBI 211Ks :benson: :benson: :benson:

This season he has cut back on his Ks/AB but still hitting .198 7HR 24RBI.

As a young player I hope Borchering looks at this and MR's attitude towards his Ks and works hard to make contact more consistantly. MR used to tell the media I don't want to talk about the Ks after games because he was still having very respectable numbers. Then 2010 came along and the questions were completely valid...

MadHandle11

Jan 31, 2011
Spokane, WA
I like Borchering too (and own a few of his cards) but I am awfully concerned by the high strikeout/low walk numbers. His batting average might be .290 right now, but his BABIP is an absurdly high .398, so unless he stops striking out almost twice a game, his average is almost certainly going to drop.

Wes

OG
Administrator
MadHandle11 said:
I like Borchering too (and own a few of his cards) but I am awfully concerned by the high strikeout/low walk numbers. His batting average might be .290 right now, but his BABIP is an absurdly high .398, so unless he stops striking out almost twice a game, his average is almost certainly going to drop.

BABIP isn't useful for such a small sample size.

That's Crucial

May 11, 2011
LLWesMan said:
MadHandle11 said:

LL what do you mean? His high BABIP is certainly the reason for .290 instead of .245.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Either way the kid advanced for his age at his level. Give him some time. He's definitely showing improvement even with the K's.

Wes

OG
Administrator
That's Crucial said:
LLWesMan said:
MadHandle11 said:

LL what do you mean? His high BABIP is certainly the reason for .290 instead of .245.

200 AB's is not a big enough sample size to expect a regression to the mean. Over only 200 at bats he could actually be crushing the ball enough to justify it. The inverse could be true for another player with a BABIP of .200, he could just be hitting the ball weakly, like Jeter early in the year. There would be no reason to expect a regression to .300 based on that level of performance.

fonda1119

Apr 5, 2010
LLWesMan said:
MadHandle11 said:

It absolutely is. In fact with a BABIP that high it's not only useful, it's pertinent. BABIP is used by many to see if small sample sizes are actually legitimate or if there is some luck involved.

In the case of Borchering it shows that there is no way he will continue to hit .290 if and when he regresses towards his mean and/or the league mean. His first two years in the minors his BABIP was a combined .331.

And I know BABIP in the minors is different than in MLB (especially in the CAL league, where the league BABIP is right around .340). But let's assume that he regresses to the league mean for the rest of the season (.340) at his current K rate and HR rate. Then at 500 AB he's a .247 hitter the rest of the way and would finish the season with a .263 average.

Members online

Latest posts