Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

its amazing how few Modern HOFers played for only one team

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Of HOFers that started in the 60s:

Yastrzemski
Stargell
Palmer
Bench

HOFers from the 70s:

Schmidt
Brett
Yount
Jim Rice

HOFers of the 80s:

Ripken
Gwynn
Puckett

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The 90s group will be VERY small but about the same size as recent decades:

Jeter
Ichiro
Pujols (?)
Rivera
Chipper Jones

Anybody I miss?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
mlbsalltimegreats said:
gt2590 said:
The 90s group will be VERY small but about the same size as recent decades:

Jeter
Ichiro
Pujols (?)
Rivera
Chipper Jones

Anybody I miss?
Vlad!

My list is not all the HOFers from the 90s, only the ones with just one team...

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
There are probably less old time players than you'd think that played for more than one team. I could only find two inducted before 1942 on Baseball-Reference that only played for one team: Walter Johnson and Lou Gehrig.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
There will be more players in the future than in the past, because of long term contracts IMO....

There are just as many players in last 40 years who did this as in the past, nothing has changed, it rare overall, especially for good players who played more than 15 years... but some alos started in the PCL on purpose (more $$ and closer to home), and some who had careers shortened by death ie Youngs, Joss, Gehrig, etc.

Off the top of my head.... Players who started before WWII.... (to add to Gehrig, W.Johnson) .........Dickey, DiMaggio, Williams, Doerr, Ott, Feller, Hubbell, T.Jackson, Joss, Youngs, Reese, Rizzuto, Terry, etc. Im sure there are more too :) .......Many Giants in this list :)

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
That is bc until the mid 70's the reserve clause bound players to one team. The players had no rights and the owners had all of the power.

braves1047

Feb 3, 2010
I think there are 2 reasons for only a few playing with one team the whole career.
1. Free agency, I need a 30million a year contract (A.Pujols lol)
2. Not wanting to stop playing. Many plays dont want to quiet when they should. I can think of Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux as an example. When they left the braves they both had ok to subpar years. Should have just hung it up.
Just my 2 cents.

Members online

Latest posts