Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sucktastic BGS grade poopage- 12.5% CLUB!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
My first submission in ten years. I thought Beckett was supposed to be more lenient now. I hope my next submission in ten years does better.

I guess 1 gold out of 8 total cards submitted isn't too bad, a BGS 9.5 2005 Bowman Chrome Draft Ryan Braun 10 auto, my VERY FIRST and ONLY gold label EVER!!!!!

And the rest of my silverlicious tombs, which are headed to the dumpster outside Wossa's building (me thinks I really need a good retinal transplant):

BGS 9 2005 Bowman Chrome Draft Ryan Braun gold refractor 10 auto
BGS 9 2006 Bowman Chrome Draft Evan Longoria gold refractor 10 auto
BGS 9 2006 Bowman Chrome Draft Clayton Kershaw orange refractor 10 auto
BGS 9 2006 Bowman Chrome Draft Evan Longoria red refractor 10 auto
BGS 8.5 2008 Ultimate Champions Tiger Woods 10 auto
BGS 8.5 2008 Goudey Sport Royalty Tiger Woods 10 auto
BGS 9 2001 Upper Deck Player's Ink gold Tiger Woods 10 auto

Maybe the local children's hospital will take the silver tombs. Oh wait, they only accept BGS 9.5's :( :(
I guess i'll just tuck these away with the rest of the commons in my monster boxes.

Oh well, if anyone wants to assure themselves some gold slabs, submit with me next time! :lol:

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
My first submission in ten years. I thought Beckett was supposed to be more lenient now. I hope my next submission in ten years does better.

I guess 1 gold out of 8 total cards submitted isn't too bad, a BGS 9.5 2005 Bowman Chrome Draft Ryan Braun 10 auto, my VERY FIRST and ONLY gold label EVER!!!!!

And the rest of my silverlicious tombs, which are headed to the dumpster outside Wossa's building (me thinks I really need a good retinal transplant):

BGS 9 2005 Bowman Chrome Draft Ryan Braun gold refractor 10 auto
BGS 9 2006 Bowman Chrome Draft Evan Longoria gold refractor 10 auto
BGS 9 2006 Bowman Chrome Draft Clayton Kershaw orange refractor 10 auto
BGS 9 2006 Bowman Chrome Draft Evan Longoria red refractor 10 auto
BGS 8.5 2008 Ultimate Champions Tiger Woods 10 auto
BGS 8.5 2008 Goudey Sport Royalty Tiger Woods 10 auto
BGS 9 2001 Upper Deck Player's Ink gold Tiger Woods 10 auto

Maybe the local children's hospital will take the silver tombs. Oh wait, they only accept BGS 9.5's :( :(
I guess i'll just tuck these away with the rest of the commons in my monster boxes.

Oh well, if anyone wants to assure themselves some gold slabs, submit with me next time! :lol:

Those cards don't need gold slabs to be incredible and appreciated, I'm sure you know that.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Jaypers said:
And the reason you didn't use Minimum Grade is....?

uh, for protection? JP, would you have left any of the cards raw? and what factors go into deciding what to slab with a 9 and what to keep unslabbed?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
TBTwinsFan said:
brouthercard said:
Jaypers said:

uh, for protection?

You can request minimum grade, and request that if it doesn't meet minimum grade, that it still be encapsulated as "authentic"

I suppose I would prefer actually getting a grade, even if it isn't gem mint, so that if I choose to resell in the future, the buyer knows exactly what they will receive. I do prefer ultra pro magnets if they aren't in Beckett slabs.

Would you have left any of the cards raw, anyone?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
brouthercard said:
TBTwinsFan said:
brouthercard said:
Jaypers said:

uh, for protection?

You can request minimum grade, and request that if it doesn't meet minimum grade, that it still be encapsulated as "authentic"

I suppose I would prefer actually getting a grade, even if it isn't gem mint, so that if I choose to resell in the future, the buyer knows exactly what they will receive. I do prefer ultra pro magnets if they aren't in Beckett slabs.

I would have. I'd have sold it raw and described the condition as accurately as possible. A NM-MT raw card outsells a BGS 8.5.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
brouthercard said:

If its for protection and you like them/are keeping them then who cares, right?

If you are selling them though, some of those cards would sell better "raw" i am sure, but then you would have to throw your ethics out the window if you don't disclose the cards were already graded and if you label them as "gem Mint" on your ebay sales :lol:

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Jaypers said:
brouthercard said:
TBTwinsFan said:
brouthercard said:
Jaypers said:

uh, for protection?

I would have. I'd have sold it raw and described the condition as accurately as possible. A NM-MT raw card outsells a BGS 8.5.

How about the high-end 9 chromes?

Don't some buyers receive the raw card, claim it's not as nice as described, and demand a refund?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
daveyou said:
that's like $10k's...lol!

fine nines, b. fine 9's!!

dave

That was the worst part - the insurance on shipping... :lol:

I was pleasantly surprised and happy the the Player's ink gold, those are not easy to get a 10 auto on.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Using "SUCKTASTIC" and "POOPAGE" in the same thread title is genius!!! Sorry that you are not happy with the results, but rest easy that you are a silver-tongued, erudite wordsmith! Bravo!

hagausaf

Nov 23, 2008
Tampa, FL
If I had any of those cards, I could care less about them getting 9's or 8's. If your that pissed, unseal them and sell raw. Pretty simple really.

burke23

Nov 12, 2010
I don't get why folks do the min grade thing. Let them slab it so you can see how they grade...you can always crack out later. Keeps the guessing out, and if you are close to a sub bump then you know your next step.
Would love to see the Red Longoria, btw.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
burke23 said:
I don't get why folks do the min grade thing. Let them slab it so you can see how they grade...you can always crack out later. Keeps the guessing out, and if you are close to a sub bump then you know your next step.

Here's a pre-slab scan:

elrr.jpg

I thought it had a chance at 9.5 centering since the Stras super got a 9, maybe I should have told Beckett I was going to sell it through them. :lol:

Original Boski

Oct 28, 2010
burke23 said:

I agree with this. Why only get it slabbed with a grade of 9.5 when you know anything less you're going to break out anyway? An 'Authentic' slab is just as difficult to bust a card out of as a '8.5' slab.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
brouthercard said:
Jaypers said:
brouthercard said:
TBTwinsFan said:
brouthercard said:
[quote="Jaypers":39qf4d7q]And the reason you didn't use Minimum Grade is....?

uh, for protection?

How about the high-end 9 chromes?

Don't some buyers receive the raw card, claim it's not as nice as described, and demand a refund?[/quote:39qf4d7q]

This is probably the one reason to have them slabbed. Re-selling graded removes the headache of trying to describe every small flaw and then having your ebay inbox pop up with a message that ends something like "i thought this would grade higher"

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
burke23 said:

+1

I can understand having an MG 9 because 8.5 and lower grades on modern cards are like the kiss of death, but I don't see any reason to not be semi content with a 9, especially in this case. 9's of higher end items as well as hot prospects tend to sell for a premium over raw copies, especially if the subs are nice.

Members online

Latest posts