Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

90's breakers/collectors... what to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am going on a small trip at the end of this month, and I usually bust wax when I get there. Last time I loaded up on retail and didn't have any fun... this time I want to try something different... I want to bust some 90's wax.

Here is what I am looking for, but I can move it around. Looking to buy from eBay, but I can use DA too if I have too:

-cheap
-would prefer it to have some chase cards, or at least some cool looking inserts
-autograph chase doesn't hurt, but I don't HAVE to have it.
-Has a decent amount of packs per box.
-Something that is a fun rip

I would like to order either a couple boxes of one product, or a couple boxes of different products. Toss me some ideas!

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Not going to get autographs, and only the right players will bring a good ROI, but I loved ripping 96, and 97 Topps finest. The 3 tiers of refractors, and in 97 with the Embossed refractors. Sweet looking cards, especially the 97 Gold die cut refs.

Here are my 96 Pucketts if you need a looksy:

Looks like this is from the old scanner, barely look like refractors, but they are.

img285.jpg

Scans don't do these justice. I bought another set which I was planning to peel and grade, those are much shinier

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I think 1998 metal universe would be fun w the pmg but the only box I can find is on eBay for $44 and I think that's a little high, hopefully one pops up for cheaper for me.

I like this thread, I think it would be fun to bust a 90s box.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
1997 e-x2000 usually can be had for 30 a box but you only get 24 packs with 2 cards in each. Very nice base cards and credentials(/299) and essential credentials (/99) are very nice and bring decent money if you hit a big name (Griffey essential went for like 256 recently). plus "cut above" "star date 2000" and "hall or nothing" inserts are very nice.

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
1997 Bowman boxes are fun rips; Series 1 goes around $15, Series 2 around $30.

A shot at pulling some nice autos, and you have a shot at pulling some nice RCs and parallels, too.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Some of the Pacific stuff is fun to bust.

Vanguard or Private Stock.

My personal favorite set is 2000 Invincible.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
JoshHamilton said:
1997 Ultra. 1 insert and 1 Gold Medallion per pack.

1998 Ultra as well

I enjoyed Ultra back in the day. Seems like for 1997 that series II is worth more than series I because of the Papi RC? I opened a couple boxes of series II if I recall. Fun.

I've had my eye on that box of 98 Leaf that's been on Ebay for a long time, but that's a bit too much if you ask me. Crusades, Diamond Axis, die-cuts, fun inserts - who knows, maybe a die-cut Statistical Standouts?

I had a lead on a couple boxes of Fractal Materials, but the money just doesn't make sense. Only 3 cards per pack, one of which being a "materials" card, but the odds of getting one of the rarer materials like wood are pretty tough. Just not quite enough going on with that release to get the bang for the buck. Someday, in a weak moment, I'll probably buy them anyway. :benson:

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
tonsofcommons said:

True, some of the cards in these pacific sets have really low print runs, and they have beauties when it comes to inserts and parallels.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
tonsofcommons said:

I would love to get my hands on some boxes of 2000 Omega. If you get lucky and pull a Johan Santana RC Copper /45 or the Platinum Blue /55, that's a $1000 BV card. Might be the least known $1K card in the hobby; I mentioned it at one of the shops I go to and they had no idea.

The most fun 90's box I've ever busted was 1998 Pinnacle. My box was absolutely loaded; I pulled a Barry Larkin EPIX plate, Biggio Artist Proof, and got tons of Museum Collection and EPIX cards. Only $15, should be easy to find them cheap. I second the old Bowman as well; I grabbed a 1998 S1, 1999 S1 and a 2000 Chrome for around $20 a box a while ago.

1996 Pinnacle retail Foil is a good bust, but I don't think they're that easy to find. Not because they're rare, but because who the hell saves old retail boxes like that? Mine was loaded with great inserts for next to nothing ($10).

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
DeliciousBacon said:
tonsofcommons said:

The most fun 90's box I've ever busted was 1998 Pinnacle. My box was absolutely loaded; I pulled a Barry Larkin EPIX plate, Biggio Artist Proof, and got tons of Museum Collection and EPIX cards. Only $15, should be easy to find them cheap. I second the old Bowman as well; I grabbed a 1998 S1, 1999 S1 and a 2000 Chrome for around $20 a box a while ago.

1996 Pinnacle retail Foil is a good bust, but I don't think they're that easy to find. Not because they're rare, but because who the hell saves old retail boxes like that? Mine was loaded with great inserts for next to nothing ($10).

Are you getting these boxes online or in person? Just wondering how I can get such cheap prices!

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
early 90's donruss....has elites in 'em and has auto elites as well. 36pk boxes and they shouldnt run more than $10/box. I just busted 4 boxes of 1992 donruss series 1 & 2 and hit a TON of Diamond Kings, still havent pulled an elite EVER in my life!!!!!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
bighurtcollector said:
early 90's donruss....has elites in 'em and has auto elites as well. 36pk boxes and they shouldnt run more than $10/box. I just busted 4 boxes of 1992 donruss series 1 & 2 and hit a TON of Diamond Kings, still havent pulled an elite EVER in my life!!!!!

Hell yea. Ripken Auto's, and cases are actually less then $200

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I agree with the 1997 ultra choice. The insert sets look great. I still have my book for of inserts from that year when I was putting together the master set(still not finished but I have been adding stuff recently).

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
DeliciousBacon said:
tonsofcommons said:

I would love to get my hands on some boxes of 2000 Omega. If you get lucky and pull a Johan Santana RC Copper /45 or the Platinum Blue /55, that's a $1000 BV card. Might be the least known $1K card in the hobby; I mentioned it at one of the shops I go to and they had no idea.

Please don't kill me for bursting your bubble....

The rookies weren't paralleled, to those versions don't exist :(

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
tonsofcommons said:
DeliciousBacon said:
tonsofcommons said:

Ohhhhh Snap!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
tonsofcommons said:
DeliciousBacon said:
tonsofcommons said:

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I never noticed that before, and now its as clear as day where it says the parallels are just cards 1-150.

I still feel that the Omega is Santana's least known RC, so I'd like to think I'm not 100% wrong on that.

Members online

Latest posts